Your 2015 Garden, what are you doing?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by kckndrgn, Feb 2, 2015.

1. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

We have started drying our paprika peppers and making our own paprika. This is just so much fun. We have made onion and garlic powder, oregano, cayenne, basil. My husband likes the final step of making them into powder. I have to go outside when he does the cayenne. It really chokes me up. I wished I had started this years ago.

2. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

3-21-15 we made some jerky. We put some in the dehydrator and some in the smoker. It did not last long at the Sunday practice shoot.

100_3996.JPG

100_3997.JPG

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  4. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thank you very much, Yard Dart.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  5. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I crushed some Chili de Arbol. This must be done outside. My nephew was interested in how this was done. So, I took some step by step pictures. After the first bag, I had to quit. I was getting a little choked up. But, someone may be interested in making their own pepper powder.

100_4125.JPG

100_4126.JPG

100_4127.JPG

100_4128.JPG

100_4129.JPG

100_4130.JPG

100_4131.JPG

100_4132.JPG

100_4133.JPG

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes ma'am. Consider how a home intruder would react to a face full from compressed air or an airbag deployment system. It would be home made pepper spray.

chelloveck and pearlselby like this.
  7. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Someone posted an article about re-growing veggies. I tried some celery and this is what I have so far. Some of the pictures are blurry.

100_4156.JPG

100_4157.JPG

100_4158.JPG

100_4159.JPG

100_4160.JPG

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Something like this ma'am.[​IMG]
    Fill the cone with fine ground pepper, and cellophane or saran wrap and rubber band. It would make a nasty surprises.

Tully Mars, chelloveck and pearlselby like this.
  9. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

We have some Bhut Jolokia Ghost Pepper in the garden. I have some air drying now. I am sort of scared of them..lol
    Last year we put some annaheim chilis on the grill and them I froze them the same as you do the hatch chilis. I did not use gloves and apparently at some time touched my face. I had to hold a ice bag on my forehead and eyes for 1 and 1/2 hours. It was quite an experience.
    So, I guess we will need to suit up when we do the ghost peppers. I will post pictures when we do. My neighbors were scratching their heads on why we would want to plant ghost peppers. Well, we just love peppers. A little would go a long way.

Tully Mars, ditch witch and Ganado like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You need a gas mask for ghost peppers. =)

Tully Mars, chelloveck and pearlselby like this.
  11. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

wow
    THANK YOU!!!! We were wondering about a vehicle for this project. I think you have solved it for us.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  12. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

That is what I have been worrying about. We have the regular masks P something. But, I think you are right and something more sophisticated for that project.

Ganado likes this.
  13. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Just don't do what I did and take the lid off the blender right after you pulverize the peppers. Leave it alone for an hour so the dust settles. I swear my lungs and eyes still burn from doing that to a blender full of habaneros last year.

14. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thank you very much, that sounds like it may work for us. I will definitely keep it outside on the porch..lol

15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Perhaps a more convenient and cheaper alternative might be the canned air horn. Lighter, more maneuverable, and with the added benefit of a piercingly loud noise. A person can have several of them about the house and outbuildings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

EXCELLENT posts/pics pealselbsy!
    I have been reading on how to make my own "powders" and would really like to try it. A lot of folks I've read about have said to use a new coffee grinder. I really want to try growing a lot of peppers next season. We use them a lot in cooking and they are SO expensive in the stores-around here at least. Thanks for the pics!

17. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I made a lot of spice powders erm.... two years ago I think? Maybe three. I have a pint mason jar of cayenne from it still and it hasn't lost it's flavor or spice at all. Made paprika, cayenne, and ancho powders, plus the crushed red pepper like you get for pizza (it's just Anaheims allowed to go red is all). I've tried to do cumin for years but I've never gotten the seeds to germinate. Plus of course the herb ones, rosemary, oregano, etc.

My best results have been to run them through a $5 food processor I got off Craigslist, which takes them down to a pretty good grind. Then that goes into the blender to finish it off. I've never gotten it as smooth as what you buy at the store... probably because half the time I leave the seeds in.... but the flavor is always a hundred times better.

One year we ground up habanero to powder so the Mr. could slip it into the snuff can of a guy at work. I wasn't thinking and took the lid off the blender as soon as I was done, and got a face full of nuclear dust. Now I leave them to sit for a few hours!

Oh if you have a surplus of zucchini (who doesn't) you can try shredding it, drying it, and then using it over salads for crunch. One time I took the shredded stuff and packed it into little crouton shapes and dried that, but easier to just use the shredded.

Motomom34, Ganado, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  18. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

You are welcome Tully Mars!! And, yes the coffee grinder is great. When I did the de Arbol chilis, I used my little ninja and then the coffee grinder. It works great.

Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  19. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thank you, ditch witch, for the idea on the Zucchini. I have some and am going to put them in the dehydrator.
    And, I think the home made powders are so much better than the store bought.

Ganado, Tully Mars and ditch witch like this.
  20. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Hi chelloveck, I checked the prices and they are very reasonable for the air horns. Great idea. Thank you very much.

chelloveck, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7