Yay, Finland

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Apr 4, 2023.

1. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

My guess would be that when Nokia went from one of the top cellphone manufacturers, to one of the bottom, they looked for places to sell their tech know-how.

Meat, Seawolf1090 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Finland, being a neutral country like Sweden and Switzerland, has long benefitted from being a conduit between Russia and the rest of the world. Also, under the WWll peace terms Russia had the final say over many facets of Finnish defense, industry, trade, foreign relations, etc.. For example, Finland could not join NATO, the KGB and Russian police could cross into Finland to capture/arrest Russian defectors, in time of war Russian troops could use Finnish territory, waters and airspace, Russia had a large military base on the southern coast of Finland, Russia limited the size and capabilities of the Finnish military, etc., etc., etc.! In the West this was referred to as 'Finlandization'. If you want to pick a fight with a Finn, just work the word 'Finlandization' into a conversation! Many years ago, I saw the word in a newspaper article and asked my Aunt what it meant. She got mad and told me that it was a word made-up by people that had never once fought the Russians, much less twice, and somehow managed to survive!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Of course, the Monty Python crew were Finophiles :)

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I can't pass by commenting on Finland without mentioning Jean Sibelius, one of my favourite classical composers.

When it comes time for my coffin to travel from my eventual funeral service to my final resting place, I can think of no better music to accompany me on my way than Sebelius's Karelia Suite Intermezzo movement:

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7