What's your "new plant" for 2021?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by ditch witch, Dec 22, 2020.

1. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

What do you do with bushel gourds?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

After you dry them ,cut the top off and use them for storage.
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I wanted to try bushel gourds too but opted for luffa and birdhouse. Grown both before, gonna let them grow up a dead tree that's off to the side.

Really want to try dragonfruit too but again, too cold to overwinter here so yet another I gotta bring inside.

SB21, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Anybody try Passion flower? I have a bed that hummingbirds are attracted to in droves.
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 and ditch witch like this.
  5. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

After the potatoes were almost done, there was a few open spots in them. I planted Sweet potatoes in them. Well, dug up the regular taters & tilled those areas flat. An holy crap I thought sweet taters must have a lil bit of kudzu in them!! About 8 lil sweet tater slips grew to cover the entire area that had been my tater section of the garden!!!

6. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Sorghum. I will try it for fodder and as a cover crop.

7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

LOL I must be in a rut I have been growing the same 47 things for the last 23 years.

SB21, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. ditch witch

I'll share my pink celery seed with you if you want to walk on the wild side a little. :D

SB21, Ganado, Thunder5Ranch and 2 others like this.
  9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Got totally wild last spring and planted those Asian all white turnips........ All I discovered was I like my good old purple tops more than them. That is about as wild I need to get :)

Gator 45/70, ditch witch and Ganado like this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Had a friend from my old legion post , said he was gonna plant some Russian tomatoes,, said they were all white ,, I haven't seen him in probably 5years at least ,, does anybody know about these white 'maters ???

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. ditch witch

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Ganado like this.
  12. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

[LMAO][LMAO]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I never could grow tomatoes when I smoked. Just harvesting the first tomatoes would kill the plant. I even tried wearing gloves but it did not help. They all died, every year.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I am also growing an acre of wildflowers for my bees.

Gator 45/70, TXKajun, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  16. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

After hurricane Hugo in 89 bacterial wilt got in the soil and every variety I tried would get to the point of having tomatoes and then over night the plants would wilt and die. Finally found one variety resistant (Neptune) which does well out of the 30+ plants I plant I may loose 1 or 2. It is some sort of bacteria that has a tail and can move through the soil especially if the soil is wet. Maybe bacterial wilt is your problem very common in the south if your in the south try Neptune

17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

After talking it over w/the DW, this year, zukes are out and sweet spuds are in. Also going to plant red, white and blue potatoe varieties

Should have enough for a decent 4th of July salad..

Gator 45/70, STANGF150, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  18. ditch witch

I had a WTF moment then remembered it also stands for Dear Wife.

Debating on planting purple sweet taters.

Gator 45/70, Ganado and SB21 like this.
  19. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That's thinking long-term!

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Ganado like this.
  20. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I know it's not all that exciting, but I'm going to try to grow red onions, this year. I recently relocated (temporarily) from north central TX, up to western NY (new career, and it brings me closer to friends, family and my sweetheart). While there's much I love about gardening in Texas, the longer summer days in NY should allow me to finally be able to grow some red onions.....something I just can't do down south.
    Thinking I'm also going to be trying my hand at some hydroponics, over the winter, indoors. (y)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7