What is this thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

A lot of these were used to "Smoke" instead of heat, they would light off a small "Road Flare" filled with some super nasty chemicals that when burned would smoke out insects and the like. used to see them in and around ground level crops, but never tree types!
    IF this one has a liquid tank, then the flare would have been under the tank, and it was a vaporizer type insecticide device!

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have to agree it is a hand warmer for abord ship. Probably those that venture the north Atlantic and south poll..
    Noticed it is designed to be mounted down and there is a drain plug at the base. probably whale oil or kerosene use a wick to draw up the fluid to the burner, the hood protects users from open flame and from being blown out by the wind.

UncleMorgan, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Being that it was made BY a company that did a lot of stuff for the drafting industry, it may be a room heater/ humidity control device! Likely used to heat or keep large areas dry. Those drawings would need to be kept as dry as possable as they would be super valuable amd irreplaceable!

Im wondering if this was Alcohol fueled, given it would be burning around people who couldnt handle smoke and you wouldnt want soot??????
    Might explain the lack of burn evidence and the newer look and paint remains!

4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I think you'll need a barbershop in Nebraska to find out what that things is. If it's a hundred years old. or older, somebody's granpappy is probably still using one.

Otherwise, it's too new-fangled.

Witch Doctor 01, SB21, Lancer and 3 others like this.
  5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

If it could hold low pressure steam you could feed it from the bottom. Collapsing vapor would create a vacuum making room for fresh steam. Meanwhile condensate that didn't re-flash could run back down to a low point steam trap below decks.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I do know a few folks in Nebraska I could send some pics to , and tell'em to go get a haircut if need be . :ROFLMAO:

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Got it! Dietzgen Model A Ammonia Print Developer. Whatsit3. And more intact than any I find online. Alas, the nice brass data plate is missing.

Zimmy, Motomom34, Merkun and 4 others like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Blue Print Developer, makes sense.

Zimmy and sec_monkey like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Good find!!

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

If you'd like to purchase it for your drafting room I can put you in touch with the lady who owns it. It was a curiosity, and only caught my attention because it was originally labeled as "hand warmer" and later as "vineyard heater."

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7