What are your health / fitness goals? Accountability

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Alanaana, Mar 28, 2023.

Tags:
?
  1. Farm Chores

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Hiking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Walking

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Strength Training

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Swimming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Running

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. busy33

busy33 Monkey

Good day. Personally, I do not risk training on my own, because it can be really traumatic. I train with a trainer in the gym, he selects workouts and nutrition for me.

Meat and Alanaana like this.
  2. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I honestly missed you all when the site was down last night. I'm so happy that it was up and running today.

This morning (I guess it was yesterday because it's 1:39 a.m. and I'm too much of a nightowl) Kilauea started erupting at Halema'uma'u Crater after taking 3 months off. Apparently there were 200 foot fountains of lava... And to think I was just planning on exploring Volcanoes National Park too. I had a few adventures planned. I don't mind shelving them until things settle down.

Yesterday was a Booty workout and today was upper body. I went until muscle failure and it felt really good to challenge myself like that.

The heat kicked my butt today and I didn't spend much time outside. The sad thing is that it was only 81 degrees. I think I'm going to start waking up earlier so that I can enjoy the cooler morning weather... but first I want to read for 3 more hours...

I hope things are good in your world!

Hanzo and Meat like this.
  3. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I can definitely relate. In fact, I used to have a literal gym phobia. One summer I forced myself to get a gym membership and I had to text a friend in the parking lot every single time to encourage me to go in... It turned out that I had chosen a gym on the east coast that was a warehouse full of the local bodybuilders and powerlifters. It was super intimidating and didn't help that a girl was walking through on her phone and knocked me over on my first day...

I think it's amazing that you have invested in your health this way. Personal training is so great for accountability and learning new ways to reach your goals. Keep it up!

Meat likes this.
  4. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Oh wow! That's so recent. Did you ever get to see the bus before they removed it?

Meat likes this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Alanaana likes this.
  6. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thanks for sharing this link! Chatting about the book with you made it even more exciting for me. All I wanted to do was sit around and read it, yesterday. I cried at the end and I'm sad that it's done. Even Krakauer's Devil's Thumb adventure sounded like a harrowing experience. I wasn't sure if he was actually going to make it to the top or even survive. I'm so glad that he did.

I started reading "Missoula" by him today. Also very well-written and helping me to keep my emotions in check. I think that's an important characteristic in survival. There are topics that can easily trigger people, but it's good to keep those emotions in check.

Meat likes this.
  7. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Aloha Everyone! Today has been a good day and it feels even better now since I'm sipping on a 3rd cup of coffee and getting ready to do a workout.
    Yesterday was my rest day and I allowed myself to fully rest. Today it got up to 86 degrees F and it kicked my butt. We are land clearing and I finally have direct access to my massive avocado tree! I think tonight's workout is lower body / abs.
    How are you moving?

Meat likes this.
  8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Same routine, 4 4 AM wake-ups this week for Jiu Jitsu. My ear is almost healed up too, sweet.

Alanaana likes this.
  9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Meat You have such a solid routine! I'm glad that your ear is healing well too. I'm starting to feel like I should wake up earlier. The hot weather is kicking my butt and I know it's cooler in the mornings.

Meat likes this.
  10. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

This is my 5th summer in the tropics and it feels like the heat is draining me more than it used to. I could be more in tune with how everything is affecting my body too though. Maybe it has always been this way and I just kept myself pumped full of caffeine. I think it's because I decided to switch from AC to fans.
    Even though my motivation wasn't always strong, I showed up for every workout this week and felt really strong! Yesterday was an upper body workout and I reached muscle failure.
    I think it's time for me to start dynamic stretching again. Hope you are all doing well!

Meat and CraftyMofo like this.
  11. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Aloha! Hope you are all doing well! I've been spending less time on the computer this week, but wanted to check in here. My workouts are going really well and I've decided to add more cardio. My weight has stayed the same these last 2 months, but I lost 1 inch off of my waist this week.

I've decided to keep an exact food journal to keep track of what I'm eating and how it affects me. Yesterday was a rest day, but I did hula hoop for 2 hours. I'm looking forward to today's workout.

Meat likes this.
  12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I finally got back to the gym about 2 weeks ago, and I spent the first couple of visits just getting reacquainted with the equipment. I usually go for a work-out the afternoon before a day off work, that way I can recover before returning to work. I'm just hoping that I can keep motivated. I'm not looking for instant results, I've been at this game long enough to not expect any changes before Labor Day. Wish me luck!
    I might even try swimming and walking again. My family has a pool and there are 2 indoor pools near my work, and I have a choice between walking on quite country road behind my house or a public trail on my drive home.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    Alanaana and Meat like this.
  13. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Wildbilly Great job getting back to the gym! It sounds like you have a good routine with lots of really nice options. It's good that you're taking your work schedule and energy levels into account. I think you should definitely try swimming or walking again if you get the chance. I recently discovered that it doesn't have to be a super intense workout to make a difference. Every activity really does count and they all offer benefits. Choose activities that you like. Goodluck and keep up the amazing work! I'm cheering you on and here for the long game too.

Meat likes this.
  14. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Aloha! I'm still here just on my computer a little less (in a way.) I've been writing articles about AI because the topic has always fascinated me, but I also feel like survival skills and health are going to be more important than ever in the future.

Last week I finished reading:
    • Missoula by John Kraukauer I feel like if this book was required reading in highschool, people would be more prepared for college and a little more savvy. It's good to know what to watch out for.
    • Gold Medal Fitness: A Revolutionary 5 Week Program by Dara Torres. I enjoyed reading this book I was a competitive swimmer and Dara Torres always inspired me. The book was easy to read and she gives good advice, but I don't like the fact that her workout program requires a gym and also equipment that can be spendy like a Bosu ball. I love bosu balls and owned one in the past, but they have a hefty price tag. My favorite price is as close to free as possible. I'm intrigued by the Ki-Hara stretching method.
    • Superhero Nutrition by Steve Zim. I read this when it came out and heard about it from the BuzzFeed video. I started implementing his timing guidelines. Like I exercise 3 hours after eating and I make sure that I have 5 hours between meals. When I follow these guidelines, I have a lot more sustained energy and less cravings.
    I'm currently reading:

• The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort
    • The Long Walk by Richard Bachman (pseudonym for Stephen King)
    • Weight Lifting is a Waste of Time: So is Cardio, and there's a better way to have the body you want by John Jaquish and Henry Alkire
    I really want to get lost in books these days. My goal is to read 150 books this year and I'm only at 41 which means I'm 28 books behind. What are you reading or listening to these days?
    I think today is going to be a total body workout. I'm hoping to hula hoop for cardio and do some yoga too because I need to stretch more. I hope you will have a wonderful week!

Meat likes this.
  15. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

There’s another book called “The Long Walk” that you might like! I think Rawicz is the author.
    He was captured by the Russians, and sent to a Siberian gulag. He escaped, crossed Siberia, Himalayan Mountains and the Gobi Desert to freedom.

Meat and Alanaana like this.
  16. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Same. Lol.

Alanaana likes this.
  17. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thank you for recommending this book. It looks very interesting. I'm going to read it next!

CraftyMofo and Meat like this.
  18. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I can't wait to get your review of the book! I won't have to wait long with a 150 book per year pace!
    The movie came out about 10 years ago, called "The Way Back." It didn't quite match my mind's eye, but was happy to see that the story was told on screen.

Alanaana and Meat like this.
  19. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thanks again! I'm really looking forward to reading it. My pace is lagging a bit. Luckily I have some time to catch up since we're only halfway through the year. Hope you're doing well!

Meat likes this.
  20. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Aloha Everyone! I hope you're all doing well and continuing with your healthy routines. I've stayed on the course and this week I added hula hooping. It may sound mild, but these workouts are super challenging in the best way.

I was on the fence about it for a long time, but I started using the Headspace meditation app. The last thing I wanted was to spend more time on a device, but they gave me a 6 month free trial so I decided to try it. I like that there's variety and it keeps me consistent. Do you practice meditation? Have you tried an app or any other approach. It takes practice for me since it's hard for me to sit still, but that's probably why it is even more important for me to do it.

I almost skipped leg day today, but I'm glad that I didn't.

Meat likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    This beach is right in my neighborhood.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Ariasmith
  12. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra loves to workout!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7