Recipe Vonslob's Green Chili Stew & other chili recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by vonslob, Nov 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Well @TXKajun it's kinda like walla walla sweet onions. Until the Hatch area farmers get a marketing order thru the USA anyone with seeds from that area can call them 'hatch chilies' legally.

If you notice in the stores you can buy 'sweet onions' but walla walla sweets are hard to come buy if you don't live in the NW. Same thing with Vidalia onions in your neck of the woods.

The original taste of the grilled chillies grown in the soil in NM is hard to beat but you can get close with same seed grown anywhere. So for our east coast friends. The canned stuff works.

NM chili recipes don't use much cheese and definitely no tomato.

TexMex uses a bit more cheese and tomato and isn't usually very hot. Those texa-cans are whimps with hot food ;)

Sonora Mexican just glops on the cheese and tomato. OK Mexican lunch concluded ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Yard Dart likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It is green chili season and I have to use up last yeas before I can buy some fresh ones. Bumping because the first recipe listed by vonslob is amazing.

Ganado likes this.
  3. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Please start soon....I have been having green chilis shipped from New Mexico a couple times a year ever since I left in 2000!

I'll have to share my recipe for green chili chicken enchilada casserole...once I figure out how to convert my seat-of-the-pants into some measurements other folks can use. ;)

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Then there is northeastern New Mexico/southeastern Colorado cooking, which has an Italian influence from all the Italians who moved out there to work in the coal mines. A little more garlic, a little more cheese, tomatoes for red chili...but not for green.

Sopapillas instead of bread or tortilla for sopping up. Xcuse me...now I gotta go make some green chili stew and sopapillas for dinner.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi