Up on the internet tower today......

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by TnAndy, Jan 31, 2012.

1. dataman19

dataman19 Monkey+

I like your tower.....
    How do you get around the "Federal Anti Climb" rules? I noticed that you don't have any anti climb provisions.
    What kinda ground do you have? How did you manage the difficult grounding in a rocky granite/shale stone environment?
    Other than that - I an green with envy, and even more jealous....
    WAHHHH ---- I WANT ONE TOOO......
    Dave
    Phoenix, AZ

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Simple...I looked in the Constitution, and couldn't find a single place that authorized the Feds to have anything to do with climbing towers, and thus, none of it applies.

;)

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Andis in Tenessee the South isnt under yankeess rule,

Sapper John and ColtCarbine like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and since it is under 200 Ft, on Private Property, not in an Airport Approach within 2 miles, and using "No License Required" radio gear, it doesn't come under the FCC, or the FAA Rules or Regulations, for Communications Towers. .... YMMV.....

5. What kind of transceiver goes that range? I've seen 900 Mhz microwave go 1,000', but you're talking a good distance. What kind of power? What kind of security?

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is all in the Antenna Gain, and not so much in the RF Power Level. If your working LOS Paths, in the clear, then you get a lot more distance by upping the Antenna Gain, on each end, then you do by upping the RF Power Level. Remember that most REAL Cellphones run in the 800-900 Mhz Range and the Highest Power Subscriber units only Runs 3 Watts maximum RF at the antenna. Cellsite RF Power, per Channel, is a Maximum of 45 Watts, and there are High-Cellsites that have 25-50 mile diameter Coverage Areas. I have some WiFi Shots (2.4 Ghz) on my network that go 3 miles, using 1 Watt RF Tx Levels, and 20DBi Panel Antennas. I know from the RSLs (Receive Signal Levels) that these can easily double that distance, and still have a 20db Rain-Fade Margin. We have an AT&T Digital Microwave System that use to feed us, our T1 Phone Connection, that uses that SAME 2.4 GhZ ISM Band, as WiFi, and is also limited to 1 Watt RF Power, and it is on a 16 mile LOS Path, over water, to Hoonah Mountain. When they engineer the path, they spec'd some 6 Foot Grid Antennas, on each end, and when we got the antennas lined up on the path, we had way to much signal, and had to put a 15db Pad, in the Antenna Feedline, to knock down the Signal Level, so it didn't saturate the Receiver Frontends. This is all well understood technology, by the folks that do the engineering, of these kind of Comm Links. .... YMMV....

Security would be in the design of the Hardware, and I am not familiar with the exact stuff TnAndy is using on his system. With WiFi, it can be as complicated, and SECURE, as one would like it to be with the right hardware on each end of the Link.....

7. idial1911

idial1911 Monkey

Boy those pics only confirm for me that if i ever get a tower.. I am hiring someone to climb it for me!!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7