TOTM - November 2019 World Economic Collapse

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Nov 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A man try's to change the world and fails! WHY? Because of everyone else!!!

Gator 45/70 and john316 like this.
  2. john316

john316 Monkey+++

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

A failed state is a political body that has disintegrated to a point where basic conditions and responsibilities of a sovereign government no longer function properly (see also fragile state and state collapse). A state can also fail if the government loses its legitimacy even if it is performing its functions properly. For a stable state it is necessary for the government to enjoy both effectiveness and legitimacy. Likewise, when a nation weakens and its standard of living declines, it introduces the possibility of total governmental collapse. The Fund for Peace characterizes a failed state as having the following characteristics:

And, sadly, starting to sound like too many areas of the US today., much of Mexico and large parts of the remainder of SA.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

No one says we don’t live in interesting times. The $64,000 question is when.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. DKR

6. Might notice when the IRS stops sending 1040 forms?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. DKR

Or the WallMart in the 'nearby' town is closed/looted/burned out.

I did an exercise when I drew a 300 mile circle around major Western cities - Las Vegas, Reno, Fenix, Salt Lake and so on. 300 miles is an assumed one way trip (one tank of gas) for folks fleeing the bigger cities.

With rare exception, the circles overlapped..... A few, Tiny, nearly ghost towns, like Midas fell just outside of he overlap.

There is no place to flee to...no in really

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  8. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

300 miles is assuming that folks were smart enough to keep a full tank of gas, I'd be inclined to think that 150 might be more realistic for the masses.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and ghrit like this.
  9. DKR

You are correct, the mass of people would have - maybe, a 100+ miles before walking.

That still leaves a large number of folks that did think ahead to have full tank. It won't take too many folks to overwhelm a small town.

While the distance from Las Vegas to Ely Nv is just 243 miles, for example, Ely is fully dependent on 'imported' food, fuel, medicine and so on. Even if one made it to a possible sanctuary location, the 'after' would be problematic, to say the least.

I have given this notion a lot of thought over the last few yeas (and 6 novel length books) The idea of running away from a big city to the imaginary safety of a small town is - just that, imaginary. However, staying in a decaying population center with no food, power, water or sewer services is rarely a good choice. This is, I believe, the point where people make a cursory look at alternatives and decide to ignore the potential issue set....

Inertia is a powerful force in both mass and people.

Gator 45/70, techsar and BTPost like this.
  10. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

DKR, I'd think anywhere in the desert would be a bad choice, many places in the NE section of the country (New England down to NYC, DC, Baltimore etc), as you said, decaying population centers - not my idea of fun.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Ya have one more day , THEN IT'S ANOTHER 10 Years , Catch the thread title

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. DKR

Life in the mid to late 1700s? (in the OP - "What are the thoughts around surviving the World being pushed back to late 1700's?)

Life would be brutal and short. For most people, very short.

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Im actually more concerned with why corporate america is pushing vegetarianism. Look at all the new advertising for vegetarian burgers and hot dogs. Mcdonalds and BK have been serving soy in their burgers for years. Why the big push now for vegetarian burgers etc now?

Why would this concern me .... it could be cost cutting, i am highly skeptical of this theory since most fast food has been over half soy protein for the last 20 years.

or are they gearing us up for something else?
    I just cant get my mind wrapped around why the big push now in the advertising.

Magdala_Buckley and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. selvagem
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Prepsteader13
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Alanaana
  10. Dunerunner
  11. VisuTrac
  12. Dunerunner