Time Pieces: What's On Your Wrist?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Having some means for tracking time is needed . keeping track of security watch time.. coordinate movement of patrol personel. Hey, a meet up for exchanging messages or goods between groups.

vonslob, Brokor, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Only two places I can remember not being able to see my hand in front of my face. One was in Mammoth Cave and the other was in a Carolina pine forest. You could get stuck in lots of places where it's dark and there was no way to tell if it was day or night without a time piece. Waking up under the Carolina pines, not knowing weather there are hours or minutes until sunrise could make for a miserable night. (like the last morning your alarm didn't go off and you were late for work x 10)

I think it would be hard on people who are programmed to tell time by TV cable box, digital alarm clock, and cell phone to suddenly find them all dark. I look at mechanical watches as just one more thing that I don't have to worry about. No batteries, no power cord, no signal or sunlight needed.

HD

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

An analog watch can also be used to help you find your way like a crude compass. And making plans of any sort, works better, when you have some idea how long each part of the plans requires. even if that just means it take "X" amount of time to get that pot up to a boil, so we need wood for "X" x3 for cooking today.

Brokor likes this.
  4. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

UZI-brand watch with a button-compass. Nothing fancy. Got a gift set with that, a LED-flashlight and a folding knife for x-mas from my eldest. Tells the time just great :unsure:

uzi-special-forces-set-uzi-sfs-1.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. Dont

Nope... Still don't have one.. Except for all the broken ones in that drawer...

6. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

La Crosse Barometer model. Gift from my wife for Christmas 3 yrs ago. Has never failed despite my best efforts to make it so I can get Suunto Core lol Also have Casio G Shock I have had since my Law Enforcement days bought nearly 20 yrs ago. More than a few tussles in that one. Smacked bunches of times and still works like a charm

7. Dont

Have never been able to go the cost of a really durable time piece... cheaper to have gone without and have gotten pretty fair at knowing the time.. However, in the bad times, it would be very handy to have one..

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ghrit, check out chronoshark.com for deals on Invicta, I bought mine there for about $250 less than what it was at Dillard's/Penny 's. I love it, but my next watch is going to be a Citizen Eco-Drive. More than likely a Blue Angels or Skyhawk.

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm not doing durable these days, lol....Went for the gold and diamond Seiko. But not alllll the time......:)

10. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384531738.386833.

Sent from my MiPhone !

Brokor likes this.
  11. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

I have to say, I bought a $35 watch at mall wart. Coleman brand, it is my second one. I have beat the thing to pieces ( literally) and while the velcro barely holds, it is now going on 3 years old. lost the face bezel about 6 months ago and because it has a nylon strap it doesn't smell very good...but I can't beat the value of it.

12. Dont

I would have had that done in six months..

13. Leigh

Leigh Monkey

2013-11-26 20.52.47.

Brokor likes this.
  14. Leigh

Leigh Monkey

Nothing fancy.
    I rotate out just 3 watches.
    Casio solar G-Shock has been tough as nails. Casio 200 meter quartz diver is plenty robust for only $45 and I still like the sturdiness and heft of the 'old school' Seiko diver.

Brokor likes this.
  15. Dont

Has me reconsidering my no watch policy..

16. Leigh

Leigh Monkey

In today's world, there are just too many inexpensive (and sturdy) watches out there (digital or analog) to choose from that offer the user so many features.

I like automatic watches as they do not require a battery but if the S ever HTF, a solar Casio G-Shock is my go-to timepiece.
    My solar G-Shock (pictured above) is right at +- 8 seconds a month...I can certainly live with that degree of accuracy.

There are reasons you will find Casio watches on the wrists of more cops, firemen, EMT's, SAR personnel, soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines than all others; they are inexpensive, accurate, and durable. I don't think one could ask for much more than that.

*Disclaimer* I have no affiliation with the Casio watch company, I just like their products!

AmericanRedoubt1776 and Brokor like this.
  17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It sure beats sundials and scribing on calendars. If the grid ever went down, and in any long term survival situation, my solar Casio G-Shock will keep ticking. I can plant crops on time, plan a day accurately, keep a sleep schedule, make rendezvous points on time, even navigate if needed. It's an essential piece of kit for sure.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Wear an old manual 17 jewel hacking tritium no date military daily... dated Jan 2004... keeps great time and still glows :0)
    Yeah I have an old solid gold Omega manual that I use for dress occasions...
    But love this simple watch... got two more brand new in boxes because I always buy more than one... but this watch is bulletproof and I don't think is ever going to die :0)

19. Dont

Simple and indistructeble is what I need.

Bear likes this.
  20. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Yup... find a good one and stick with it... I'm surprised at how tough these are... but hey... they are made for the military (although mine are sterile dials but have the cage number and mfg date on the back) and the crystal is polycarbonate... so when I scratch it... I just buff it out and it's crystal clear again... good stuff....

1. enloopious
  2. timberwolf50
  3. CATO
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Jeff Brackett
  6. mage2
  7. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7