This thread Will never die!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 5, 2005.

1. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I once wondered what it would be like to jump off the rooftop and try to fly. Then I figured that my wings hadn't grown in so it might hurt. I didn't do it. Years later I worked as a painter and was on a rooftop painting the eaves of this really tall house. My foot slipped off the side, not my whole body mind you just my foot, and I figured out that heights worry me without jumping off. So I now know that it is a stupid idea unless of course if your goal is to wind up in the hospital.

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I just found this amusing..

[​IMG]

and my cousin jumped out of a 3rd story window in Miami..when we were kids.....Playing Superman..

7 hours of NeuroSurgery...he's colorblind,dyslexic and has a out of this world temper....Don't try to fly......

(of course, he's an award winning author now....9 out of 9 kids..all got college degrees....One handles the Teamsters money..One works for the UN..one is the DA in a town in NC, and on and on ,ad nauseum.....)

3. TailorMadeHell

That monkey should know better. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch. [LMAO]

4. CRC

Yo....leave my posse alone!

5. TailorMadeHell

'When Monkeys Shoot' next on FOX. [LMAO]

Yous guys playing wit fire. Yous shouldnna be messin' wit the Monkey Mafia. [touchdown]

6. CRC

yo yo...

[​IMG]

I got my "gurlz" with me....

7. CRC

Imagine this...

"Jimmy Buffett was the most requested concert in 2006 and comes in second place behind Wicked for the "Most Requested Events in 2006"."

[applaud] [applaud]

8. CRC

Florida Christmas Decorations...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. CRC

The whole neighborhood decorates....I need to go back tonight if it quits raining and get better pictures...

The entrance, when you turn in....

[​IMG]

10. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

So I am thinking about changing jobs. Right now I am a food broker, in a nutshell, I manage people that merchandise stuff in retail stores. I have a friend that is a contractor, and wants me to be one of his building supervisors. I would be self employed, and am not real sure about the taxes etc. I know that some of you are self employed, got any tips or things to watch for? I think I am going to make the change in March.

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It's not always as good as it might sound.

1. You are responsible for your own liability insurance, proof of which you will have to supply to your customer

2. You are responsible for your own health insurance

3. Establish a good record tracing system - you will have to track every mile you drive and every postage stamp you purchase.

4. You will pay your income taxes with quarterly estimates. You must pay at least the amount you owed in the prior year or have paid not less than 90% of what you owe for the current year to avoid a penalty.

5. Remember that you are not covered under worker's comp insurance unless you pay your own disability.

6. You lose your right to register for unemployment when you are not working.

7. Customers are not bound to the same legal constraints paying you as they are to paying employees. As a subcontractor, you are no different than any other vendor and the company can stretch your payments out beyond what you expect. You can refuse to work until they bring your account current but you may not have any other income during that time.

8. There is no Vacation pay, sick Pay, Holiday Pay.

9. You will spend a lot of hours on your self-employment record keeping for which you will receive no compensation. Be prepared.

Being self-employed does not always give you the freedom you think it will. It sounds great but every day you take off is dollars out of your pocket. I'm lucky enough to have more clients wanting my time than I have hours to give but it takes its toll. 12 hr days are normal and 15 hr days are common. Sometimes I long to simply be employed and let someone else do all the juggling.

12. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[applaud] Great advice on self-employment!

13. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Hooray!!! Baking is done (or rather; I'm finished)!

I used over 10 pounds of chocolate chips, 5# of flour, 15# sugar, 5# almonds, 4# of walnuts, I can't even remember how much butter and countless other ingredients that consumed my kitchen.

The best part is getting to give it all away.

14. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

This is exactly the feedback I was hoping for Right Hand!!! Can you look over my thoughts on what you wrote and tell me if it makes sense to you. I work 2 jobs now, my primary job takes about 60 hrs/wk, and my second job is about 25 hrs/wk. I am not afraid of hard work, but I am putting in too many hours working and not enough being husband and Dad. Thanks in advance!!!

15. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RightHand [​IMG]
    It's not always as good as it might sound.

1. You are responsible for your own liability insurance, proof of which you will have to supply to your customer
    I am working as a contractor for him, and am only supervising, so my liability is virtually nill
    Regardless of your level of potential liability, the contractor and his insurance company will require you to carry a certain amount of insurance - could be anywhere from $100,000 to $1,000,000

2. You are responsible for your own health insurance
    My wife works and we will be covered on hers, almost as good as we have now, I just have to pay the vision and dental.
    Sounds like you've got that covered

3. Establish a good record tracing system - you will have to track every mile you drive and every postage stamp you purchase.
    I do that now in my present job, so I am used to that.
    Nothing new for you there - continue as before.

4. You will pay your income taxes with quarterly estimates. You must pay at least the amount you owed in the prior year or have paid not less than 90% of what you owe for the current year to avoid a penalty.
    I am real curious about this, I have called my accountant, but I think they are off for the holidays. I heard that self employment tax is higher than employee taxes. Is the approximate % about 30%?
    You will pay 15.3% self employment tax (social security/medicare) on the net profit from your self employment activities reported on your Fed Income tax return Sch. C. In addition, the net profits become your income for regular income tax - same as reporting W2 wages unless you are a "C" corporation. A "C" Corp is an incorporated business that pays corporate income tax and the earning are not passed to you. You would draw a salary from the corporation and pay your taxes on your wages as if you were working for any other corporation. Another type of corporation is an "S" corp which is pretty much the same as a "C" corp except that the corp does not pay income tax. The earning of the corporation pass to you (and any other shareholders) and you include them in your personal income which is taxed at a lower rate than a "C" corp. With an "S" corp, you also draw a salary subject to tax/soc sec/medcare withholding and reported on a W2. You could also opt for an LLC structure - Limited Liability Company - which is a combination of the sole propriator and corporate structures. You can draw salary or cash from the profits of the business, reportable as 1099 earnings, and still have some of the protections afforded to "C" corps protecting you personal assets from business liability. If you function as a sole propriator (neither a "C" or "S" corp or LLC) you personal assets are vulnerable to any liability as a result of your business activities. If you elect this form, make sure you have very good liability insurance but remember that you and the business are one and the same so all debt assumed is yours and your alone.

5. Remember that you are not covered under worker's comp insurance unless you pay your own disability.
    I am thinking about doing AFLAC. Any experience with them?
    At one of my clients, I sat in on a presentation by an AFLAC rep but other than that, I know nothing about them or their coverage.

6. You lose your right to register for unemployment when you are not working.
    Thought about that, the money while I am working is enough that I should be able to budget through the year. I raised 7 kids when I was making around $24K/yr, so I am very good at budgeting. Plus I am working a second job that I will keep for a while at least to make sure it will be stable.
    The ability to get other employment at any time helps

7. Customers are not bound to the same legal constraints paying you as they are to paying employees. As a subcontractor, you are no different than any other vendor and the company can stretch your payments out beyond what you expect. You can refuse to work until they bring your account current but you may not have any other income during that time.
    Valid point, I have known this guy for 18 years and has always been very reliable, but anything is possible.
    Its always a toss of the coin. Just remember than if the business experiences cash flow problems (which happen even to the best of companies) you will be more vulnerable than a payroll employee. I have had a few clients through the years who have left me hanging for many, many thousands of dollars for a long time. If I believed in the integrity of the business owner, I've hung in with them until they were eventually able to clean up their bill. I've also had a few who have stuck me. Its the cost of doing business.

8. There is no Vacation pay, sick Pay, Holiday Pay.
    There are 2 other superintindents that cover for each other when they want to take time off. I am not a big vacation taker in the past, I am looking forward to being able to do it in the future.
    As long as you are prepared for the reality of it.

9. You will spend a lot of hours on your self-employment record keeping for which you will receive no compensation. Be prepared.
    Is it worth saving your records monthly and using a bookeeper?
    A lot of people do that and it is a deductible expense. In addition to routine bookkeeping, you will have tax filing with which you might want help. If your state collects sales tax, you will be required to collect and remit those taxes and that could be monthly, quarterly, or annually.

Being self-employed does not always give you the freedom you think it will. It sounds great but every day you take off is dollars out of your pocket. I'm lucky enough to have more clients wanting my time than I have hours to give but it takes its toll. 12 hr days are normal and 15 hr days are common. Sometimes I long to simply be employed and let someone else do all the juggling.

16. brainbyte

brainbyte Monkey+++

I love my Glock 17 as much as I love my wife, but lesser than God. So I love God the most. :)

17. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Got to have your priorities in order. God, Glock and Gladys!

18. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Off for a week, big fire in the fireplace, pecan pie, wireless interet, Jennifer Garner on the big screen in HD, and the girls are all out shopping. Nice.

19. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

I know that this is a little late, but this is the most PC way I know of wishing everyone.......

Happy holidays

Please accept with no obligation, implied or expressed, my best wishes
    for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress,
    non
    addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the holiday* of your choice
    on
    or about the winter solstice, practiced within the most enjoyable
    traditions of the religious persuasion or secular practices of your
    choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or
    traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or
    secular traditions at all, and a fiscally successful, personally
    fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of
    the
    generally accepted calendar year 2006, but not without due respect for
    the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to
    society
    have helped to make America great (not to imply that America is
    greater
    than any other country or is the only "America" in the western
    hemisphere) and without regard to the race, creed, color, age,
    physical
    ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

Notice, Disclaimer and Conditions of Greeting:

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This
    greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely
    transferable, provided there is no alteration to the original
    greeting,
    and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole
    discretion of the wisher. There is no promise by the wisher, express
    or
    implied,to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or
    others. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual
    application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the
    issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and
    warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new
    wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

*As used herein, "holiday" is limited to its secular meaning,
    without
    regard to its English language derivation from the words "holy day".

20. TailorMadeHell

I second that emotion Gillman. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Scrwe the PC people. Don't like Christmas? Move to an island completely covered with water. :sneaky:

'I like to offend people. It's what I do best besides shoot them.'

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7