This thread Will never die!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 5, 2005.

1. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Thanks for all the congrats. I was contacted today and told that they want me to start Friday. I'll be glad. Extra pocket money and I can even start doing some prep. Thanks for the offer Monkeyman, though I am a bit on the wee side. Haha. I found out today that they will provide the apron and coat thing. All I have to do is grab some white shirts and khaki pants. Got enough of those, so I'm good to go.

Other news, I have been contacted by the recruiter and should hear something Thursday or Friday about when I go to take my physical. He said it sounds like it may be the middle of next week. I will have to juggle that and the job so I should have some fun. :D

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Glad to hear things are looking up for you.

Yeah, if your on the small side then these would be tents for you since with me at 6'2" and around 300 lbs I think I can still fit all the pants and have plenty of room in most of the chef coats. lol

3. TailorMadeHell

Yes I think that would be a tad big. I'm pushing 5'5" and 143lbs, so it would be a little trouble in the kitchen for me. Lol.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

TMH, sounds like things are going well. Good luck.

5. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Yesterday, some friends and I took my kids on their first rafting trip. Got there and the Search and Rescue Team ('copters, news crews and all) was looking for a couple of teens that got lost the night before (they found them, alive and well -thank God- right before we left).

Life jackets and sunblock on, boats aired up, in the water and ready to go. I took Little Miss on the rocky bank to load her in when she froze and said "I don't really want to go rafting." :eek: I told her "But that's what we're here to do and we're really excited (okay, we were really excited)." Little Man's in front cheering her onb::, to no avail. Her eyes welled up with tears, so I picked up her rigid self and packed her into the raft. Got her settled in, showed her how cool and safe it was. [cmfrt]Whew! We can go now.

Nice, calm beginning... all is well. Around the bend and our first small set of "rapids". Little Miss says "Mom, I think we should turn around now." :rolleyes: "No can do, Honey." She made it through the first set and didn't even get too wet (unlike me).

All of the sudden rafting wasn't a scary thing, but something fun and cool:cool: to do! We stopped on a rock shelf and the kids got to swim[camo] a bit, which meant that for the rest of the trip whenever it was a slow part of the river, she was "itching" to get out and swim.[winkthumb]

Four (maybe five?) hours later, the kids were whining that "it's over already?!" and not wanting the day to end. A wonderful experience all around.[applaud]

6. E.L.

Sounds like a great trip Tracy. The key is always leave them wanting more.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

It does sound like a nice trip, I wanna go.....

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Wonder why, when you're sitting at a green light waiting for the dope in front of you to move on, you tap the horn and he just looks in the mirror and gives ya the finger? Is it just me or are ya supposed to sit at green lights now days?

9. Tracy

Silly Trapper... They're waiting for emerald green.:rolleyes:

10. Tracy

It was a nice trip!

I'm taking them to Idaho in a couple of weeks for camping and fishing:D.

11. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Maybe they had their "rose colored glasses" on and didn't know it was green. Whatever! I'm sure they want to let me know I be #1. hehehe

12. TailorMadeHell

About my new job. Okay, so yesterday I went to a meeting with some people from the Salvation Army and one from a Job Program. I found out that the job is a six month paid-internship program. As my employment record looks spotty in places, they help by giving you a steady job to put on your resume as a 'good' last employer.

It is for six months and I am a cooks assistant or basic cook in a Drug-Alcohol Rehab facility. The clients live on the grounds and eat their meals in the chow hall and we cook the food for them. Today for lunch they had tamale pie, green beans, beef and noodle soup, tangerine slices in syrup and cherry cheesecake. Doesn't sound like a fancy meal though it's a good one. I can say I had a hand in that. Haha. Actually, I almost had a finger in it.

Was chopping vegetables for the soup and grazed a finger. Nothing too bad, just something that I have to remember. Serrated kitchen knives like eating fingers. Haha.

So that's the job at the moment. I will leave you all now as I have to be up at 4am to begin the process of getting ready for the day. Have fun and enjoy.

13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just a tip TMH - serrated knives are the worst for cutting fruit and veggies - not their intended purpose. If you can't bring your own 8" to 10" chef's knife that holds a good edge, see if you can find one in their kitchen. Keep it as sharp as possible and you'll have a better chance of keeping your fingers intact.

14. E.L.

Welcome to the ranks of the emplyed TMH. Jobs where you see the direct impact that you have from helping people are the ones that cause the most self growth. You will not become rich financially this way, but you can become rich spiritually. Helping those that need help is the most gratifying way to spend your time. With all of the jobs that I have had, the one that gave me the most internal gratification and satisfaction was the one where I worked as a med. tech. in a long term rehab. center. I remember it vividly and know that I made a difference. Good luck!

15. Quigley_Sharps

Congrats TMH I hope find your way out of that city soon.

16. TailorMadeHell

I have learned that and should have chosen the better knife for the job and also to keep my fingers tucked away. No more of those types of things will happen if I can help it.

As far as the job, yes it is good to be helping people and to be employed. Now I'll have some money for buying things I need, as I have some of the things I want and look at them like 'what was I thinking?'. Haha.

As far as leaving the city, that chance may come sooner than I anticipated. I got a call yesterday from my recruiter and today I go to MEPS to take a physical. If there is no waiver required for me to wait on, I will swear in Friday morning or afternoon. After that I may have a month or so to wait for a ship date to basic training. After that I may have a month to wait here before shipping to some war torn country. Whoo hoo. Can't wait. :D

Will post more information when I find out. Right now I am going to make a run to get coffee. I'm out. :mad: I need my fix. Haha.

17. Quigley_Sharps

Amen Bro enjoy the ride on Uncle Sam, the memories will be with you for the rest of your life, so make them good ones.
    Let me know if there is anything you need help with.

18. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

What Quig said, let us know if you need anything.

19. TailorMadeHell

Well I'm back from my trip to MEPS. I took my physical and passed it with no problems. There is a waiver required so I wait on that now. Didn't swear in yet. That may come this coming week or the next. Depends on how long the waiver takes in reaching those who need to sign it and then the return trip.

Going to take 11B (Infantry for those that don't know.) as MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) with a subtitle as a AVD (Assault Vehicle Driver) though the unit I would go to has no assault vehicles. It's just a slot option so they could find a position for me.

Swear In is projected for Thursday or Friday of this coming week, though you know how red tape can be so I may have to wait for the following week. I am sure with my ASVAB score and flying colors on the physical, they should push the waiver through with no problems.

So how is everyone else?

20. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

While you are swearing in, I will be traveling home for block leave so I can take the one year vacation, all expense paid trip!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7