This thread Will never die!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Amy

Amy Monkey+++ Founding Member

:D

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My laptop at work crashed. :dunno: :mad: :cry: I think they will have to do a total reload. Thank God for jump drives, and the fact that I had backed up everything not long ago. :)

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Our work lappies are used simply for access to the company servers, and everything there is fully backed up almost continuously. Which is a good thing. In the year I've been there, three toshibas and a dell have given up the ghost, with the only ill effect being one guy at a time without a machine on his desk. Here at home, I have my fingers crossed, and back up the files more or less weekly to an external USB drive. My main machine has been out of service for about 6 months (using the lappy) and I have been too busy to resurrect it. Motherboard is quite literally fried, last time I messed with it, smoke came out of the rear vents, and it hasn't worked since. Not a good sign.

4. E.L.

No, that's not a good sign. I replaced the motherboard on my desktop about a year and a half ago. I should have a loaner in when I go back to work on Tue. They send them overnight but since it is the weekend+ a holiday it will be Tue. before I get it. Oh well. Most of our data is backed up on servers in D.C., but my MOI's, documented letters on letterhead, NR samples, pp presentations, supporting documentation, etc. were there. Thankfully the jump drive backup will give me back 98+%.

5. ghrit

So far, I've about made up my mind to find a local geek that can build me a machine useing the stuff from the old one that still works, as in burner and other drives, maybe even the power supply, memory sticks, and maybe some of the cards. I am by no means a power user, but some of the things are fun to mess with. Before the sound card croaked, I used to play CDs thru the "entertainment" center amplifier with most excellent success. The el cheapo computer speakers are headed for the rubbish barrel. (Not at all sure why I still have them.)

Once upon a time, I had both machines networked via ethernet. For some reason, that was a bust. Most likely operator error. Might try that again, if and when I decide that the USB backup drive is too much trouble. Yeah, yeah, the sneaker network is NOT dead around here.

6. E.L.

I would keep all of the components. You can resuse them. Even the memory. Find someone to help you build one, and when you buy a new motherboard make sure it has lots of extra memory slots, and make sure that if you buy a new case it can accomodate lots of upgrades. My brother-in-law builds about three or four computers a year, and he has built my last two. I learn a little more with each build. Building is a lot cheaper. My BIL is also really picky about the quality of each part, that's another thing that get lost when you buy one already built, they choose the cheaper parts to get the cost down. It might have the top speed and tons of memory, but the memory or other components might be "cheap" and not just in cost. The quality of the components is what keeps you running. He meticulously picks out each motherboard, processor, memory stick, etc. Before I make any kind of upgrade I run it through him.

7. ghrit

Good ideas, all. [bow] My geek son built this one, but we are not as close geographically as we were at the time. So far as the mechanical part goes, I have taken things in and out and am not in the least itimidated by a few nuts and bolts. Sotware is my downfall, tho' I've picked up a few things along the way. I do NOT mess with BIOS and I am paranoid about mucking in the registry, but with enough hints, I've even done that. (Took a really long time, but I weeded out, line by line, a Trojan that managed to dodge all the "stuff" in it's way and ensconce itself comfortably on the HDD. Tale for another time, but it took me two months of searching out and killing the baddies.) So far as this build goes, the decisions as to what is worth keeping and what is worth pitching has to be based on an evaluation that I don't feel I can economically make. The motherboard is out of date, and some of the cards are as well. Nearly as cheap to start over with them. The drives are another matter, the HDD is new (another tale for beers) and the CD and burner are (or were) perfectly functional, and the other legacy hardware is, too.

So. With a bit of testing by someone with the test gear on the power supply, and an educated eyeball on the box, there is about 300 bux saved, maybe. New motherboard, new CPU, up to date RAM, a wad of USB ports, and away we go. Maybe. Geek son selected the components that went into the burn out, and he is also picky. (The burn was caused by me, not the components.) Wish he were 1000 miles closer for this operation.

You MUST remember the lesson I learned the hard way. DO NOT let a moving company handle your computer. Take it with you, or at least take the hard drive out. Probably a good idea to take the whole box and give it a seat to itself, complete with seatbelt. [winkthumb]

8. E.L.

This is what I do whenever I have had to move my desktop. I don't mess with the software, unless it is just downloads, upgrades, new drivers, or even loading Windows (which I have done to several computers). Anything else I have to do by phone. The components are easy. When you take your motherboard out put it in a box, it may be useful later on, or the processor chip may be worth saving. Make sure you wrap your memory or secure it from harm some other way. It seems as though it is very easy to damage. The new hard drives are really getting cheap. I saw a 160 GB the other day for $69. My next build will probably be next year. More of an upgrade than anything. Up from 512 to 1024 GB of DDR RAM, an external hard drive, and hopefully some more software.

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

A Special Birthday This Week. Can you believe it???
    Monica Lewinsky turned 31 this week. It seems like only yesterday she was
    crawling around the White House on her hands and knees.
    They grow up so fast.

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[bestpost] [LMAO]

11. CRC

Yeah...I couldn't decide whether to post it here...or in the humor section...

:dunno:

[raspberry]

12. E.L.

The Cubans love her, she sold lots of cigars. [peep]

13. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I wouldn't buy one of her cigars :eek:

14. ghrit

Nor would I. But I might offer her one -- [peep] [gone]

15. ColtCarbine

Let 'er smoke The White Owl :D

16. CRC

17. CRC

Kinky Friedman cracks me up..

"It's crazy. It sounds stupid, but if I had Jesse Ventura, Willie Nelson and Jimmy Buffett in top positions ... the state would run with a lot more honesty, a lot more decency," he said."

E.L.? Charlie? Home boys?? any response??

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/3940523.html

he can still tour, right???? [LMAO]

18. ColtCarbine

Billy Preston's name sounds familiar but can't quite place it, age must be catching up or it could be the [beer] :D

ETA: Don't post while drinking, sometimes ya might scan over a link to what somebodies talking about :D

19. E.L.

Kinky is a hoot, but more of a buffoon and comic than anything. When told that Carole Keaton Strayhorn had gotten a hundred and something thousand more signatures on her petition, he said "of couse she did, all of her ex-husbands signed it."

20. CRC

In my mail this morning...

...at present the race is advancing with a giant's pace,
    eradicating everything in its progress, first the buffalo
    and next the Indians; substituting for the unpretending
    barbarity of nature, the artificial government of meum and
    tuum, with the improvements in fraud and vice that are
    attendant upon those reasoning powers which make him so
    superior to the naked savage.
    --George Williamm Featherstonhaugh, 1835

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7