This thread Will never die!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 5, 2005.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It was a wonderful day RH. :D

2. Galactus

Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I devoured Proxima Century [beer]

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thank God....I'll rest easy tonight......!

way to go Galactus... [winkthumb]

[bow]

;)

4. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Okay.

5. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I spent yesterday between crying and waiting anxiously by the phone at work...beats sitting in a hospital anyday...oh wait I work in a hospital so nevermind. Figured the other hospital was 3 minutes away if I took the car, 7 minutes away if I walked in the rain (hey I can walk fast - and half of the 3 minutes is walking to my car and starting it).

Plus not much you can do waiting while they figure out of your father is going to live or die.

Saw him last night - he looks like death warmed over. I took today off because well I'm a basket case myself. Brian stopped by (baby brother) this morning says the doctor is pleased he made it through the night and most likely dad will recover...this time.

At the most we're figuring 6 months. But dad has been known to fool lots of people (though truth be known I hope he goes in his sleep - nobody deserves to die by inches).

I hate cancer. I truly hate it, more than I hate anything in this world.

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

TLynn, please know that you are in my thoughts. They may seem like empty words, but let us know if any of us can help, even if its only to listen.

7. E.L.

I hate that you are having to go through this TLynn. I truly do. I will pray for your dad, for you, and for your family.

8. CRC

Oh T....I'm so sorry for you, your family..and your father!

What RH said...I know we're all far away and not much we can do from here..but anything, anything , you need...you got it.

Try to rest, when you can....take care of you so you can take care of your family...I understand the feeling of helplessness....Know that good, healing thoughts and prayers are being sent your way from all corners of this country...

9. TLynn

Dad has to be feeling better he's cranky this evening. Said he really didnt' like people hovering over him at the hospital...and well I know that feeling from my experience the few times I've been in myself.

Told him it wasn't like we were sorry for him, it's because we care and are concerned...just about told him to stick a cork in it as well (but I'll save that for a later day). :lol:

As he told me the doctor is much more pleased with him today...and as he also said I may be terminal but I'm not terminal this minute. Gotta love his dry humor...even in the face of death he can make a joke.

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, Im glad to hear you have a bit more time with him but am truely sorry to hear of his situation. I truely do know how that is as I sat by my step moms side as cancer took her as well as haveing lost most of my moms side of the family to it and haveing been there through a couple rounds of treatments and several biopsies for cancer in my mom. That said, I hope most for his recovery but if that is not to be I hope his passing can be quick and peaceful and all things needing to be said having been said. My thoughts are with you and yours.

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well said mm. I nursed both of my parents through the final year of their lives and it was the most satisfying year of my life. When they died a scant few weeks apart, I knew that everything had been said so I had no regrets only gratitude for the time and sadness that it was over until we meet again.

12. E.L.

Each day you have with him TLynn is a gift. Cherish the memories and let them make an impression in your memory that you won't forget. I lost my dad suddently when he was 58, I did not have the time that you now have. Make the best of it, I hope that you are granted many more memories with him. You know your family here is praying for you.

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Tlynn I hope things get better, Prayers sent out for you and him.
    Quig

14. CRC

I know where I'm going this Summer...

:D

http://www.windjammer.com/theme_cruises.html

Pirates, Wenches and Bountiful Treasure Chests! Are you ready for some rip roaring, rum swigging, skirt chasing, politically incorrect, swashbuckling fun? You’ve come to the right place! We’re having a fleetwide party celebrating all of the things that make being an adult fun. From Sexy Sea Hunts and Sea Battles, to finally learning the truth about which captain has the biggest cannon.
    These cruises are not for the faint of heart. Sign up now if you dare! We promise you a week of legendary partying you don’t want to miss out on! Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

15. TLynn

CRC, I hope you enjoy yourself!

I'm depressed this evening...dad is suffering renal failure and is on dialysis. He will not allow any of the family to visit (except his wife) because he doesn't want anybody to see him on dialysis (go figure). Doesn't want our pity...

At this point if my brother understood his charge nurse correctly he's got a 50/50 chance of making it through the next couple of days. Personally, I'm not as optomistic but then I work in a hospital and he's very close to being malnutrioned as it is along with a few other things.

I just dumped the calling my baby sister and letting her decide if she should make arrangements with the Navy/Marine Assistance League to come up and see him on my brother...it's his turn.

16. RightHand

Hard days and long nights TLynn. Try to take care of yourself as you go throught this with your family. Thinking of you.
    D

17. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well I worked at the university again today. We had danger tape around most of the work area but we didnt have quite enouph to go all the way around so I parked my truck in the open area and that just left a gap about 2' on one side of the truck and 5' on the other side, so I put 2 full size traffic cones in the small gap and 3 in the larger gap. The bucket truck and chipper truch were in there and I was running around in a hard hat and under the tape we had traffic cones about every 10-15 feet and also wooden baracades across the sidewalks. In the first 2 hours or so we had 2 sepperate girls walk through the work area. :eek: The first was on her cell phone and got to the very center of the work area before she realized there was anything going on then left. I was so stunned the first time I just stood there and looked at here amazed anyone could be that stupid.
    About an hour later a second girl came walking in so this time I walked over to her and had the following conversation; 'Excuse me, Miss?' she looks at me, 'Maybe you could help me with something' she responds 'uh, ok' As I stand over by her and lok around I asked, 'Is there anything you can think of that I could do to make it any more obvious that its NOT a good thing to walk through here?' She thinks for a minute and say, 'Well, you could put up danger tape' then she realizes she is fully surrounded by danger tape, 'or... well you could put up the no parking baracades' (whats used to block things on the campus) then she notices they are up over the sidewalks 'between the dumpster and the building around the corner of the building, or maybe have someone stand there and tell people as they come up...I dont know.' I just looked at her and gave the her the most patronizing smile I could and said 'Ok, thanks.' Then she looks around and hurrys off...straight across the area where limbs were being dropped.
    What made this all the more amuseing was that I went around the corner to the dumpster a short time later to throw some trash in the dumpster and as I turned around right there at eye level on the wall was a nice big 'No Parking' sign on the side of the building. [ROFL]
    I wish I would have had some gum to offer her and let her know to be sure not to try chewing it untill she got someplace where she could set down. :rolleyes: :eek: [ROFL]

18. CRC

T?

Just wanted you to know...again...healing thoughts and prayers headed your way from Florida today....

For you, your father, and the whole family...

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you in this......

19. TLynn

CRC, thanks hon.

Spent most of yesterday afternoon at the hospital. Took some time off to run to the dentist (so they could tell me to come back Monday morning to have a root canal done - no biggie but I got to take antibiotics till then). Dad refuses comfort measures so he's hanging on and fighting still.

He's survived dialysis but his kidneys are not restarting their functions, they're pumping blood into him (they won't give him blood clotting meds since he has a blood clot in his leg), they did surgery to his leg to put a filter in it to try and catch the blood clot - and he survived that last night as well.

Laurel will be here w/kids from San Diego a little after 5pm tonight. I think he's holding on to see her. He specifically asked his nurses to make sure he didn't die. The man has iron will even at 75 and racked with cancer.

No phone call last night since I left so I'm safe to assume he made it through the night (both the night nurse and day nurse know to call Brian or me should something happen).

Been praying and I don't pray that much he makes it till my sister gets here and then some.

20. CRC

Verb: play hooky
    Usage: N. Amer (=skive)

Play truant from work or school
    "The boy often plays hooky"
    - bunk off [Brit], skive

:D :D :D

somedays..you just gotta do what you gotta do.... ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7