This thread Will never die!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 5, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Im sure you would and thanks but I think I'll get by. ;)

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

just got in from Palestine. Of course being that we are in the 20's my heater in my p/u picked a good time to take a dump. [sinking] I am working 12's too so no time to take it in to the shop. Maybe this weekend. ;) BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. The good news is that both the girls seems to be just about over their virus/flu, my wife is getting better, but I am still in the middle of it. [yukface] I am taking antibiotics though so the end if it is hopefully near.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just the por ol' thang's way of saying it missed you, and it has been neglected.

4. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Picked that Southernese up right quick, huh?? [ROFL]

5. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That Sucks EL :evil: Guess it was your trucks way of saying Chill Out, like :D

6. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Real bummer E.L.

You're welcome to come up here...it got up to 15 degrees (and there's no heater in my truck at all that I know of). Of course I don't drive it if I can avoid it because it only gets 10 mpg.

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My better half has taken pity on me and decided that she is going to take it in Sat. to have it fixed while I am working. It wouldn't bother me so much if I wasn't already sick. That's just the topping on the cake.

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

When I was 16, The heater went out in my '76 audi fox... This was '87 :lol: we put a few propane heaters in the sled with us on long night trips from a friends cabin 200 miles north of me.

These day's we'd be stopped as a mobile meth lab :eek:

9. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When I was in HS my trucks heater worked, but the fan didn't...I drove to school many a day with the windows down so the windows didn't fog, and gloves on :p

10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I guess you guys aren't old enough to have owned one of the old Volkswagons. No heat. We all drove with ice scrapers to use on the inside of the window. Great little car but its a lot more fun remembering Volkswagons winters than living them

11. ghrit

Who don't remember veedubs in the early days? A buddy of mine had a microbus with no heat (this in CT.) It would go anywhere you could see, and some you couldn't. Took two drivers, one to steer and gear, the other to scrape and spot. Extras to push out of the drifts. (Good thing we were in the Navy, seldom had less than 4 in it.)

12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ah, the good old days, eh ghrit

13. ghrit

Phui. Back then, nothing would slow us down. These days, we think twice, then get out a few sticks of wood and light off the fireplace instead. Not so sure which is the more fun, come to think of it.

14. RightHand

Everything in its own time

15. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yep...My first car was a 1964 VW bug....had to open the hood to put gas in?

and the engine in the rear?? I went all over the East Coast in that car..back and forth from SC to Maine...made many trips...

and RH? They really were the good old days ..in so many ways...thanks for that memory..

16. RightHand

They were fun little cars. I had several, one even bought new with every option available - a wood grain steering wheel and shift knob. Total price in 1969 was $1,195. My favorite was one I bought used that had been rolled and the roof was caved in. Paid $300, used a bathroom plunger to pop out the roof, spray painted it with a few cans of rustoleum, drove it as a second car for 6 yrs and sold it for $900. The only thing I ever did to it was a new battery and a few more cans of Rustoleum for touch-up. When you're young and poor, everything seem like fun.

17. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Just realized that about old VW. Rear engine+Air Cooled=No heat.

My parents had a Bus and drove it all over Colorado after he got out of the Army. I was prolly the result of one of those cold nights.. :D

18. RightHand

No doubt [beer]

19. ghrit

Wrong, BTU breath. [beat] VWs and Corvairs both had heat (when it worked.) In the early versions, there was an optional gasoline fired heater in the nose. Later versions had ducted engine cooling air into the passenger spaces. Neither methods were too effective, but I was able to dress for it with my Vair in northern Michigan. Can you say chilly mornings all day long? Brrr.

20. RightHand

I always figured that the VW heating system was German retribution for WWII

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7