This thread Will never die!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 5, 2005.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Last October 17th, a Sunday, I was working on the website at Sadlak's. One of the design engineers, Ron Squires, was also working on an important design project. We were both having a good day, very productive. About 2pm he went to the men's room and when he didn't return in a reasonable time, I went looking for him. I found him having a heart attack. I had enough training to do everything I should do but I can tell you, the wait for the paramedics seemed like an eternity. They took him to the nearest major cardiac center about 30 miles away but despite their best efforts, they were unable to save him. Ron was a great guy and a good friend and although I was grateful that I was with him and that he wasn't alone, I was haunted by what I might have forgotten to do which could have made a difference. His daughter and I went in to see him before he was taken to the morgue and I was able to say my private goodbye. His daughter and I are very close, I'm somewhat of a surrogate mother to her, so she has asked me to speak at the anniversary memorial service this Saturday. For the past 2 weeks, I've been thinking about what I want say, so tonight, I have to sit down and bring my thoughts together. I gave the eulogies for both my mom and my dad but that was easy because they came from a lifetime of love. This is different but no less important. His daughter deserves a public acknowledgment of what Ron meant to those of us who valued his friendship. Wish me luck as I try to find the right words.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Im sorry to learn of your loss RH,
    From what i know of you, it will be a great eulogie for a great friend.
    My thoughts and Prayers to you and your's

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'm sure you'll do fine RH. From what I know of you so far, you'll find a way to give a proper memorial with an upbeat undertone. After a year, IMHO, people have moved on and focused on the pleasant and happy times before the loss. "anniversaries" like this do bring people back to a realization of the loss. I think you need to point them back Up.

Sorry for the loss of a good friend. I lost a few myself and it isn't ever easy.

God Bless you for taking his Daughter under your wing.

eric

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks Quig. I've been thinking in terms of how the product of an artist's life is referred to as his/her body of work and how a friendship is like that - a body of small moments and usually not something that can be defined by one or two stories. One's value on this earth comes from those small snippets of shared experiences. They are what we remember most about the friends who go before us, the things we don't treasure as they occur but what is truly the very essence of a friend's immortality - the lingering warmth of the memories

5. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

RH, I think you will do fine at this. Remember him as the friend he was both to you and to the others he worked with. You know he was a good father as you are a friend to his daughter.

Just listen to your heart as you write...

6. RightHand

Thanks T. I'll heed your advice.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Amen Right Hand

8. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Celebrate their life and memory, that IMO is the best thing.

9. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well this is a first for me...went to work, stopped and got a cup of tea (I still feel like death warmed over, but I did get 2 hours roughly of sleep last night). When my boss (god bless her) walked in about 15 minutes later (I get to work usually 15-30 minutes early) she took one look at me and told me to go home I looked like shit...

So here I am...

Good thing I've got over 300 hours of sick leave.

Of course I'd have a lot more annual leave but I keep giving it away everytime somebody needs it because they run out of sick leave. I think I only have about 50 hours of annual leave right now (if I hadn't of given so much away I'd be up to about 100 hours).

Come next October it'll really start becoming a problem when I get 8 hours every 2 weeks...I only get 6 hours right now. I don't use enough as it is and you can only cary over 240 hours to the next year. Going to try and take a nap...might even be able to?

10. RightHand

God Bless your boss. Sleep my friend - that's what will help you recover.

11. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I was always told tea, jack daniels, lemon juice and a little sugar cured all cold. I will have to add sleep to the list.

12. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It is good to have friends!

Today..By Fed Ex..I got...

THIRTY FIVE lbs of fresh Salmon Filets , from Alaska...King Crab Legs..King Crab picked meat...

Some kind of white fish..Something called "Boots" that look like scallops...Reindeer Jerky...

and a box top that says "Packed with Love for Connalulu"..

Wow..I am blown away.

and I do believe it's time for a party! Anyone up for a trip to Florida?? :D 8)

13. CRC

Ok...the "boots" are something called Razor Clams...I am supposed to fry them...and I don't think I can wait to get in the crab meat...after cleaning the kitchen tonight..?

It's crab time! Wooooooo - Hooooooooo!!!!! :D 8)

14. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I got it in July TLynn.

RH, you will be fine. Don't schedule a session to write your feelings down, just jot them down as the feelings hit. May all of his friends and family be blessed, and may God smile upon him and welcome him home.

15. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Wouldn't that be a "Hot Toddy?"

16. Quigley_Sharps

Razor Clams are wonderful CRC! we have them here on our coast!

17. CRC

Well...how do you cook them Quigley???

I never heard of them.....

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Think quohogs. One word, CHOWDER.

19. CRC

Well..of course I know quohogs..I grew up in SC..on the coast...

It's all that salmon I can't wait to get in to....

Today? Life's good on my boat!

20. Quigley_Sharps

If you like spicy leave the Tabasco in, if not take it out.

30 saltine cracker squares
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup milk
    Dash Tabasco sauce or to taste
    24 medium-size fresh or frozen razor clams*
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons butter
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    Lemon Slices

*If the clams are frozen, thaw them in a colander in the sink so they will not be sitting in water as they thaw (if you don't drain them as they thaw, they will be tough).

Crush the crackers with a rolling pin. Do not use a food processor which will spin them too fine.

In a shallow platter, beat the eggs together. Add the milk and Tabasco.

Dry the clams thoroughly with a paper towel. NOTE: If you proceed without the steaks being dry, breading will not adhere to the steak well. Dip each clam in the eggs; drain off any excess. Place them in the crumbs to coat. Place on a cookie sheet or platter to allow the coated clams to rest for 15 minutes.

While the clams are resting, heat the corn oil first and then add the butter. Heat but not so hot as to smoke. Fry each clam to a golden brown, 1 1/2 minutes on each side. NOTE: It is important not to overcook the clams or they will be tough.

Remove the clams from the pan with a slotted spoon, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve immediately with lemon slices.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7