This thread Will never die!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 5, 2005.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not as much sand, and our kitchen could NOT come close, but here's my last jobsite. I had about 95 million of it to manage, of the 400 or so it ultimately cost.
    D2C_9286.

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I got to play a couple of rounds of golf last week. Needless to say it was a little bit different. The fairways are sprayed monthly with a fresh coat of crude oil. The "Greens" or "Browns" as I call them are hard packed sand. And there are red marker stakes tht indicate water hazards. I'm in the middle of the frikin desert and I still can't keep out of the (imaginary) water hazards!!
    Golf 001. Golf 002. Golf 016. Golf 020. Golf 033.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

lol, that's amazing. Golfing on a green of oil.

Man, I couldn't wait to leave Kuwait.

4. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Golf - A perfectly good walk ruined by a small white ball.

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

A golf course is a waste of a perfectly good rifle range. [beat]

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

but an absolute requirement for an Air Force base...:D

7. ghrit

Never could get enthused by chasing a white ball hither and yon, thru the woods and over the bridge. Epic fail on the one try. (64 for 9 holes and broke the driver.)

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Got a great nephew that wanted to play golf, kind of rebellious young pup. His dad would bring him down and want him to shoot with us. Won't do it, just wanted to play golf. His big problem was, he didn't understand that golf was essentially a target sport. He thought it was all about how far he could hit the ball instead of how accurate he could hit it. I did my best to explain that to him and from then on, he kind of lost interest, Go figure, goofy kids. His younger sister, on the other hand loves to shoot targets with us, lovely young lady that she is.

9. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Never thought about it as a target sport but your right WT. I have always had a knack for anything you had to aim. Darts, horseshoes etc.

I never played golf until I went to work for an oilfield service company in the 80's. The owner asked me if I played and I told him I had no interest. He said "You're going to learn." He gave me an old set of clubs and let me have an extra hour off for lunch each day to go to the driving range. Every Friday morning all the local oilmen would meet for breakfast at the Pancake House and he would get a couple of potential clients and treat them to an early morning round of golf. He said he made more money on the golf course than in the field.

I don't play a lot of sports, and if I had the choice between a round of golf or a morning at the range I would take the range. But that isn't an option over here.

The thing I like about golf is it is personal. You don't play against anyone else you strive to improve yourself. And like life you have to play it where it lies. You make some good shots and a lot of bad ones. You have to decide on the best way to salvage a situation. There is actually a lot of strategy involved. Do I go around this obstacle or take a chance and try to go over it? Do I take the safe route and chip back onto the fairway and try to get into a better position or do I try to salvage a good play out of a bad one.

And just as in life, you are constantly faced with the choice to cheat and take the easy path or to be honest and accomplish your goal with integrity.
    The zen of golf.

But of course there is the real reason it is such a popular sport. It's an excuse to get away from the house for a few hours and drink beer with your buddies!!![boozingbuddies]

BTW, when I was stateside I figured out a way to combine my two favorite sports. I would take my driver and a couple dozen old range balls to the shooting range. Hit all the golf balls down range then set up my rifle and start nailing them with .308 rounds. Those were some good mornings!!

10. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I wonder if one of those brass gonad keychains would look good on the bottom of an AR-10's pistol grip?

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I bought a golf-ball launcher that threads onto the muzzle of an AR15 for launching with blanks. It will shoot a ball 400 yards with a 22" barrel. Now if we could find a putter-head that would replace the shoulder piece on a collapsable stock?,,,woff..woff..uh oh...someone at the door...

12. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Next obvious post would be exploding golfballs............does anyone wanna go there?

13. Pixie_moon83

Pixie_moon83 Monkey+

golf balls?

Ya that would be funny. Plz post a vid of that if anyone ever actually does it...

14. Pixie_moon83

Pixie_moon83 Monkey+

Ouch

I have to go again to have surgery on my wrist to repair a torn ligament....So, ya, when a horse says "fly" you do a superman. Not good for fragile bones. Cast up to my bicep for 6 weeks...Yay! No work....double yay!!

15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

hope you are doing better pixie.... *sends good Mojo*

16. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Page 3? Seriously? ;)

[​IMG]

17. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Most married men should own a brass gonad key chain - to remind them of what they lack because the wife keeps them in her purse.

18. ghrit

The problem with bald heads is heat loss. [booze]

19. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The problem with shaved heads is that strange women cannot keep their hands off your sexy melon. lol.

20. ghrit

Where??? I can have the truck loaded in 20 minutes.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7