This thread Will never die!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 5, 2005.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Already checked front and rear master cylinders. I think its the seal but it may be the line.

2. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have the black thumb of death....Been loading mags and stripper clips!

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I just got an absolutely AWSOME booklet that was found when cleaning out my uncles house. It is from the Morton salt co and copyrighted in 1950, its a 122 page magazine type booklet called 'Home meat curing made easy' and across the bottom says 'PORK-BEEF-LAMB-SAUSAGE' and on the back says 'Cured Meats...an important part of the home food supply'. This book covers in detail and with full photo illistration how to kill, butcher, cut, and cure critters to make meats that will keep as well as canning them, pickleing them, smokeing them and so much more.
    What an awsome find! I contacted the co to see if it can still be obtained from them and will let you know what I find out.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If it is out of publication, and in the public domain, I'll be glad to scan it in and pass out to those interested.

5. monkeyman

Do you have a copy or would you need to borrow mine? I realy kind of doubt it is still published as it dose NOT get PC about it, as an example the pictures leave nothing to be imagined and it discourages killing the animals prior to bleeding them and prefors for beef and pork to stun them then bleed them and for lambs and such sugests just holding them down and cutting the throat. I kind of think by todays standards it would be a bit to brutal for a company to put out to advertise how to use thier products.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I grilled Brats today, with peppers and onions. Yum1

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Definately would need yours unless there is a Library of Congress number I can use to dig it out locally. If the pages are larger than 8-1/2 by 11, I'll have troubles, but I can do it. The only thing that concerns me very much is the copyright.

8. magnus392

I would love a copy...and it is for personally historical preservation:D

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

10. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

RightHand you're just a marvel of information. Thank you ever so much. I found 3 cookbooks/magazine types I wanted that are way old (including that one). And I was just doing a quick browse.

11. monkeyman

Very cool, I couldnt find a way to get more of a description of it or a pic but that sounds like the one. When I can if they still have it I may even order an extra copy so I can have one laminated, butchering guides are like shop manuals they tend to get a bit nasty if used.

12. RightHand

I thought their prices were pretty good there as well. You could also try writing to Morton Salt and try to get one there, or maybe a photocopies version.

13. monkeyman

Ive already sent Morton's an email and am waiting for a response, but I seriously doubt that they still put it out. It is very graphic by todays standards and promotes the stunn meathod of killing for big critters and just cutting the throats of lambs while holding thier legs in the air as 'struggleing will help them bleed out better'. In case you arent familiar with 'stun' method its basicly just that, you knock them in the head or whatever to stun them enouph for you to do it in reasonable saftey then you cut the throat while they are alive so the heart pumps out the blood and they bleed to death. It will do a bit better job of getting the blood out of the meat but PETA and such would be on a rampage over it and its a book that is put out to promote thier product so could be counter productive. Never know though and am hopeing they do, just not holding my breath. I would say if you can get a copy from the above link GO FOR IT, its an awsome and informative book that dose tell how to butcher better than any other resorce I have found before and have been into it and looking for a few years now, and then has a bunch of hard to find recipes includeing blood sausage, head cheese and more plus preserving meathods and even touches on preserving the hides a bit. At a time with cash flow more to the positive side I would pay 2 or 3 times that for a copy and figure I had gotten a deal.

14. monkeyman

Just a note here if you do go to look for this book, try to be sure of the copyright date as the one I have is 1950 and they have a booklet by the same/similar titles (I found after a while on google and yahoo) from around 1910 to present day but most of them I found had far fewer pages (as little as 20) and didnt cover the butchering or not of all the animals and only some of the cureing info. The one listed above is only off by I think 4 years and has the same number of pages so is likely pretty much the same book but what I find SO cool on this book is that it has more detailed info on butchering than any of the modern books for $20-$40 I have found specificly on butchering do in that it covers nearly all the cuts, how to stick each animal and so on. So like I say if you are looking for this one do be sure you get the 112 page one from or as near as possible to 1950.
    BTW; it is still easy to get the items advertised in the book, thats kind of cool.

15. magnus392

...too early:(

16. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Way too late in the morning :lol: and I've been up for over an hour (it is after all 8:30 here).

17. magnus392

I woke up at 9am here. I hate mornings.... I am a night owl through and through.

18. monkeyman

Woo hooo! The boss FINALY got the truck fixed so looks like should get some work this week...now to see how long we go this time before something else breaks down or what ever.

19. magnus392

Steak was good tonight!

20. monkeyman

Well, got the response from Morton salt today, like I kind of figured it is out of print and no longer available and the current version is nothing like it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7