Things you've probably forgotten to prep

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DarkLight, Jun 19, 2016.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have found colloidal silver works best on all burns and injuries .
    My son was fishing with no shirt on, and he tends to be a fair skinned red head blond .
    He came home with one powerful burn all over, especially his back, and we covered him completely with Colloidal silver and there was not even any blistering .
    The secret to healing many an injury/illness, is the speed at which one attacks the problem .
    The longer one tolerates the illness/injury the harder it is to over come it.

Gator 45/70 and DarkLight like this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Just to mention a life-saving treatment for kill-you-to-death sunburn:

Instead of going through the whole agonizing process of having blisters as large as dinner plates pop up all over your back, and then having the skin slough off on pieces larger than you hand--and, oh, yes: the lasting major skin damage from second-degree burns--just skip all that and take a bath.

Immerse your entire body in the coldest bath water you can stand--adding ice as needed--and stay there for at least six hours.

Whatever else you have to do can just jolly-well wait--because if you don't take the time out for a freezy-bath, you won't be able to do much anyway.

How do you know when to come out? When you can sit up out of the water and the pain doesn't start right back up within ten seconds or so.

Exactly one day after an emergency-room quality sunburn, I was back in operation (staying out of the sun, this time--DUH!) and I never had so much as a skin peel.

This works with fire burns as well: the damage from a burn continues to increase long after the initial insult. That's because cells are dying and releasing calcium, and that starts killing off other cells.

Which then release more calcium.

Chilling everything down slows that chemical reaction, which gives the body time to process the released calcium before it reaches the level necessary to cause adjacent cells to die.

One other thing about this that you have to experience to appreciate: You get used being a little chilly pretty quick. And then it's a world of wonderful because the burns stop hurting.

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Spices and herbs as well as other table condiments are valued reserves as well , some have medicinal uses , probably not the best but if it's all you've got to work with , it's better then nothing. and knowing these things one can recommend them to neighbors that your willing to tell .
    BTW honey is another good treatment for burns, and other injuries, I'm told.

DarkLight likes this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

S.O.S. or Brillo pads, or the raw materials to make them. Sometimes, short of spritzing diluted acid if some kind (phosphoric acid can be had at boat stores and most home and garden supplies) these stupid scouring pads are the only thing that can clean off burned or otherwise crusted on "crud" in short order. Yes, I know it's just steel wool and soap, but I've never had really good luck making my own and on sale they are at most a coupler of bucks a box. I think the last time I bought some I got the box for less than $1.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Bulk packs of:
    Car air filters and oil filters.
    Your favorite firearm bore cleaner.
    Firearm lube.
    Bore cleaning patches.
    4"X4" bandages, APD pads, medical tape and nonadhesive bandage wrap. Alcohol, provodone iodine, betadine, hydrogen peroxide.
    Rechargeable batteries, and whatever chargers work best for you.
    Lime.
    Ziploc bags, heavy mil garbage bags.
    Powdered bleach.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Consider the addition of Rainex to your preps... wiper blades wear fast and might be hard to find....

I have amounts of Lye for soap making, Stump rot (potassium Nitrate for those pesky stumps in the field I want to get rid of, some crystalized iodine for making tincture of iodine... extra whetstones... ( how many of us have a favorite whet stone that is over half way worn out?) I also have bug bombs and basic pet meds....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2017
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Vinegar on windshield is better than rainex. I hate that stuff because it leaves a smear window after only a few time in the rain

arleigh, Motomom34 and DarkLight like this.
  8. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Also not a big fan of Rain-X. It puts a film on the glass that in some cases I have never been able to fully remove. I used their anti fog product on the inside once and ultimately ended up spending an hour with astringent spray and water to get the mess off...which eventually destroyed my dashboard.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Motomom34
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Bishop
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. DKR
  8. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 15, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: General Discussion