Original Work The Stuarts of Texas

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by jim2, Aug 27, 2023.

1. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

XXXX is now known as David Glass. The Glass family is loosely connected to the Stuarts in Scotland, and I find that certain families become connected then drift apart on a regular basis in history.

“Major, may I offer the idea that we both withdraw our men to holding positions about 25 yds away so that they may observe for our safety yet not be in direct contact with each other thereby causing needless issues. Then, you and I may meet in the middle for our discussion if those terms are acceptable to you Sir.” Offered Stuart.

“That is a commendable offer that I agree with. Once our men are stabilized 50 yards apart you and I will meet in the middle.”Said Maj. Richards. Wheeling his mount, Richards began ordering and pushing his men back to the agreed distance, with Sgt. Maj Hendrix being the slowest to comply to the majors orders.

Maj. Richards had decided to reduce in rank and send Hendrix packing to another unit very soon. The man was just too much trouble for a line unit soldier, and there was trouble enough to go around. “ The worst thing we ever did was empty out the Eastern inner cities of their riff raff and attempt to use them as soldiers.. Few were worth anything at all, and during Reconstruction were going to cause no end of trouble with the defeated yet still proud southerners. “

“Get on line ten feet apart, and sit at the ready. I want no one moving or shooting unless I am shot from the saddle, and the good Sgt. Maj may not order anyone to do anything. If he attacks alone, he will not be supported and the Confederates may deal with him as desired.” Ordered Richards.

Turning in the saddle and seeing that Col. Stuart was awaiting his pleasure, Richards cantered forward to the meeting and reined up along side Col. Stuart .

“Well, I am glad that we were able to avoid bloodshed Maj. This late in the war I am less willing to lose any more men than I already have.” Stated Stuart.

“Likewise Col.” Replied Richards. “However we both still have our orders. How to slow things down yet still complete our duties?”

“I have received word that we will cease hostilities very soon, and that right now High Command wishes to mass our troops in an area that will afford some minor comforts and also have the facilities to accomplish whatever needs doing. We know that you have outran your own supply trains and are short on ammo, food, horses, and what have you. It is no secret that my men are near spent, and half starved. Yet, they will fight to their last breath if this situation is not handled correctly. They have seen what happened in Tennessee and the northern part of this state, and are under no illusions as to the fate that awaits the South as a whole. It is a bitter pill to swallow, and they are very likely to spit it out with minor provocation. These men are critically needed at home to care for their families and communities and I want them to be able to make it safely. With that in mind, I submit that perhaps my unit may withdraw at a more leisurely pace, than previously, not setting any ambushes or raids, and you pursue us at a walking pace. We will both be able to find suitable camp areas every evening, and we won’t be killing each other needlessly.” Stated Col Stuart.

Knowing the answer before he even asked, Maj Richards offered; “About where would this final contolment area be that your High Command wants to stop at?”

“I can’t answer that” replied Stuart with calm voice.

“I was sure you wouldn’t be able to” chuckled Richards. “May I suggest a distance or 100 yds or so in wooded areas, and at least 400 yds in open areas and fields, and that we both keep a man that is in sight of the opposing unit for proprietary’s sake?”

“Done, and I will make arrangement’s immediately.”

The two men shook hands and and turned their horse toward their security details, and rode off.

Srchdawg-again likes this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Maybe Major Richards isn't such a dumb sonofabitch after all! Hell, he might have made a fair infantry officer...for a Yankee!

3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Wouldn't be set in Alabama? Would it?

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

It could also be set in Virginia/North Carolina AO. Much of General Lee's cavalry and artillery escaped before the surrender at Appomattox, with some units disbanding and others traveling south to join General Johnson's army in North Carolina, which was still in the field. I'm currently reading a book, "Ends of War" by Caroline E. Janney, about the confusion and chaos that was the surrender of the Confederate Armies in the spring of 1865. From day to day, the Yankee generals and politicians changed the terms of parole for the Confederate soldiers. It's little wonder that many units and individuals, especially those farther west, just disbanded and went home.
    I have been interested in 'the last march' of the Confederate soldiers to their homes after the War, ever since I read a book "Yankee Rebel" about a young man from Lorraine Co., Ohio who lived in Waterloo, Alabama before the War and enlisted in the Confederate Army. He fought in numerous battles, was elected an officer, was captured twice, and at the end of the War walked 600 miles home...to Alabama. He became a lawyer and judge, had a family and lived to a ripe old age...in Alabama.
    PS Terry's Texas Rangers (aka 8th Texas) were paroled at Greensborough, North Carolina on April 28,1865. However, Sgt. Glass is on detached duty and might be operating with the forces of General Nathan Bedford Forrest in south Alabama after the Battle of Selma and before General Forrest disbanded his command in Gainsville, Alabama on May 9, 1865.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln (GOD I hate doing that)," if you aren't going to use that story, can I borrow it?". I see Sgt. Major Hendrix killing Major Richards and re-igniting conflict with the Confederates, which leads to the destruction of the Yankees. Col. Stuart, then gathers more men, whom he leads in a string of stunning victories. Long story short, 5 years later, General Stuart leads a victorious Army through the streets of Washington, D.C. and the dream of Southern Independance becomes a reality..., but that would require a LOT of work on my part, and it is your story, and you can tell it a lot better than I can. Although I do like that part about "and the dream of Southern Independence becomes a reality". It's your story, it's a good story...so tell it! PLEASE!

jim2 likes this.
  6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Now that the Holidays are over, I'm hoping and praying that you will find the time to finish this entertaining work of historical fiction...before the 160th anniversaries of the surrenders rolls around, only a year and change!

jim2 likes this.
  7. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Things have been kinda crazy around here due to forces outside my control. I will continue to write and work on this story line.

My intention is to move this to Texas where Glass will spread his lethal wings and give his cold blooded nasty streak some free rein, but still manage to stay out of trouble unlike other hero’s of the South and West.

I am undecided as to whether Glass will kill Hendrix soon, or later on in Texas. Either way, he is gonna get it but good.
    My Grandmother told me stories she heard from her mother and GM about what happened here in Texas after the war, and I will be using that material. Criminals and power tripping idiots ran amok and I aim to tell it.

Jim

8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Jim? Are you still there?

9. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Six days later, Sgt. Major Glass and Col. Stuart rode out to meet Major Richards under a truce flag, stopping in place when the Yankee scout trailing their unit came into view. Both parties stopped and uneasily eyed the other. Col. Stuart waved the flag and slowly advanced with Glass stopping about 50 yards short while the Colonel and the scout exchanged words, Stuart requesting a meeting with Richards. The Union scout slowly backed his mount away from Stuart and when he felt safe turned to trot back to the union cavalry unit.

Major Richards arrived a few minutes later with a young Lt. in tow. Ordering the Lt. to maintain a similar distance as Glass from the officers, he advanced o Stuarts position and both parties rendered salutes. A suspicious Glass moved his horse a few yards left so as to maintain a clear view of the strange Lt. in case he did something stupid.

We are less than a days ride to our regimental bivouac location. That is where a surrender will take place, but I’m guessing you already knew that. Said Stuart.

Yes, I have been informed of such. Another unit wished to cut you off by means of an ambush, but I persuaded my commanding officer to stop that in place and give you and your men a chance to lay down your arms. Replied Richards. I sincerely hope that is the course of action you will take said Richards softly.

Stuart sighed heavily and looked around while thinking of his men’s welfare. “As much as I detest surrender, I will do so as an example to my troops. Far too many have been lost and maimed, it’s time to quit. But God I hate doing so.”

“I am not unsympathetic to your plight. I am from Trenton New Jersey, where quite a few young Southern gentlemen attended university, and got to know a few of them. Hunted, fished, and sailed with a few also. I remember one named Rafe Stuart, he could hunt, track, and shoot with the best of them. Any chance that you might know of him? Asked Richards.

Slumping a bit in the saddle, Stuart replied: “Yes, I knew him, he was a second cousin of mine.”

‘“Was?” Asked Richards softly.

Yes, was. He took a cannonball to the chest at Gettysburg, killing him and his horse El CID at the same time.”

“Dreadfully sorry to hear that, he was an amazingly decent man and well liked by all. Far too many good people have suffered and died in this banker and politicians war. Hope I never live to see another one.” said Richards.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

It wasn't all bad, we killed 300,000 Yankees, and maimed and crippled as many more! Too bad more folks can't mind their own damned business... but then history would be boring!

11. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Stuart and Glass pulled up and stopped at the wood line short of their disbandment area and sat silently for a moment surveying the area to their front.

“I can see that something has been eating on you for the last couple of days” Stuart said to Glass.

“Yes Sir, it has. I really hate to go against your wishes, but I just can’t take an oath of allegiance to people I know are of the lowest sort. They have destroyed this nation and Constitution all the while falsely claiming to be protecting the country and government from an enemy they created. I won’t enumerate all the reasons as you are well aware of them. I just can’t surrender to people like these. Besides, Texas and my family need me and other like me. If I surrender, I will be disarmed and afoot, and it will take too long to get back home.” Said Glass.

“I can understand that completely” replied Stuart. From what I have seen of the Union army, there will be little or nothing left of my plantation when I return. I’m sure that they will make things as hard on us as they can.”

“Colonel if you decide that moving to another place will be to your betterment, Texas has lotsa room, and once you are on the frontier the army is much less of a problem. There, without Southern officers to guide them, these Yankees will revert to their old habits of going on patrols to nowhere and avoiding contact with the Comanche. Peace of sorts can be made with them, but only an honorable man with plenty of patience will be able to maintain it like the German settlers in Fredericksburg and other places have managed to do.”

“I’ll keep that in mind Sgt. Major, one never knows what the future will bring.”

“Write me general delivery San Antonio, Texas. It may take a bit of time to reach me but I’ll get it eventually. Forwarded addresses do help” smiled Glass.

“So, how long before your departure?

“I’d say that right now is a good time. I can go without dragging men along with me and causing problems with Major Richards. I travel best alone, and should have few problems except crossing the Mississippi River.”

“Well best of luck to you Glass, I will tell the troopers that you are dispatched on a final mission. That will buy us a day or two.”

The two men shook hands, both wondering if they’d ever see the other again. “Much respect Col.” said Glass. “Much respect returned Col Stuart. Horses were wheeled and the men went their separate ways.

A young union private sat his horse using a set of binoculars to watch his adversaries. Seeing what he knew to be a final departure , he hurried to report to Hendrix with great excitement.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
  12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Even from SW Alabama, it would take months to walk to Texas. Many Confederate units in the West and Trans-Mississippi, just went home forgoing the surrenders all together. Some followed General Jo Shelby into Mexico or went to Europe like Judah P. Benjimin. Thousands established colonies in South and Central America, most failed, but there is still a community in Brazil of Los Confederados to this day. Tens of thousands went to Texas (GTT) or other western states and territories. I even read an account of an Army of Northern Virginia or Army of Tennessee soldier that didn't surrender and returned to Texas with a horse and a Whitworth sniper rifle. Things are about to get interesting!

13. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Funny thing is I had been thinking of using a Whitworth or some such in the story line for some long range work. Most of it will be close and fast though.

14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

From a distance (20 feet), you can't tell a Whitworth from an Enfield, and both were known to have long brass scopes attached to them. Up close the difference is mainly the shape of the barrel and the checkering on the neck of the stock. The real difference is apparent at much greater distances, like out to a mile!

jim2 likes this.
  15. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Thanks for the info! I have not studies 19th century arms as well as I should have.

Jim

16. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Glass turned his dun south by southwest and began the long journey home. Already knowing what to expect from the example set by union forces in Tennessee and being a child of the frontier, Glass set his mind to doing most of his traveling by night to avoid the flood of union forces. The great majority of what he had seen lately were city boys uncomfortable with uncivilized country living under field conditions. Some of the food they had discarded as not good enough would have been eagerly accepted by the half starved Confederate soldiers he knew. Except for bad luck, they would be easy to avoid or take advantage of.

Turning into a tree line, Glass stopped to watch and listen for anything that would indicate other men’s presence and to see if he had been followed. He had watched for trailing soldiers but saw none. Which, did not mean they were not there. “Stay vigilant, stay alive” he thought. Birds and insects had went silent upon his entry but he returned to their business after a while. Satisfied that he was the only interloper in the area, Glass once again began to move his horse slowly thru the woods. The race in this arena would go to the slow and cautious. “I do owe the Comanche a lot for the education “ muttered Glass appreciatively.

O’Reilly thundered into the union camp and immediately informed Hendrix of what he had seen close to the Confederate encampment. Hendrix’s blood was boiling as he ran to Maj. Richards and reported what he knew.

17. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

“I Knew from the moment I spoke with him that Glass would not surrender or take the oath. “ replied Richards. “He is only one man, and if the majority of Stuart’s cavalry is surrendering, we will view it as a good thing. “

“I can drag him back here by the heels in one or two days!” Ranted Hendrix. “All the rebel scum should be hanged, and the sooner we start, the better.!”

“You are taking his near miss very personal Sgt. Major, not like a professional soldier at all. I have no place in this unit for the petty and vindictive, and you had better get that straight right now! If you desert your post in an attempt to chase Glass down, you will be charged with desertion and hanged or shot if I have anything to say about it.” Growled Richards. “IF you survive the attempt that is. Glass has survived fighting the fiercest Indians on the Great Planes and I doubt it would be much of an effort for him to swat you like a fly. Did you not notice how amused he was at your antics. You are a rabbit trying to chase a wolf, and I will thank you to keep that in mind, now get out!”

Glass traveled slowly the rest of the night, stopping near daybreak. With no hint of human activity in the area, Glass found a dense copse of trees for his camp, secured his mustang, then went to another area to cut some grass for horse fodder. He then checked his pistols and the shotgun to ensure they were functional then bedded down . He was asleep not long after his head hit the saddle.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  18. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Waking with a start, David’s hands went to his guns, and he lay still watching and listening for what had awakened him. It was late afternoon, the dun was staring off to the east and the faint sound of moving horses came to him. Springing to the duns side, he placed his hand over the horses mouth ready to stifle any nicker or whinny the animal might make. As quiet and alert as the wild born mustang might be, he was still a herd animal that might want some company and start making some noise.

The unit passing Glass’ position was hidden by the tree line, but from the dust raised, Glass figured it was at least a company sized unit with a wagon or two. Thinking it might be a good idea to see what was going on so near to him Glass removed his boots and replaced them with the moccasins he kept for situations that required silence of movement. Ten minutes later, Glass slowed his pace to a near crawl as he could see the white canvas of a wagon through the trees and heard the stamping of horses hooves.

Keeping a thick oak tree between himself and the wagon Glass eased up close enough to watch the men’s movements and hear their conversations. Surprisingly, the cavalry unit had bypassed the wagon and continued down the road, while the wagon crew parked in the shade and unharnessed the mules. Two men only, and it appeared to be a supply wagon. I might just be in luck thought Glass as he watched the men prepare a fire and put a cook pot in it. Stomach growling, he watched from the shadows until sundown when the meal was ready to eat. As the cook began dishing up the food, Glass silently stood, resettled his gun-belt and stepped into the camp.

So silent was Glass that he stopped and stood not ten feet from the pair as they settled down to eat. Only one was armed, and he with a revolver in a flap holster. Realizing something was wrong, the unarmed man stopped chewing and looked up. Facing slightly into the sun was a curly wolf if he had ever seen one. The young man had a cold face, and the coldest smile and eyes that Bert the cook had ever seen. Armed with four visible pistols, and a nine inch Bowie, the man looked like a silent poised rattler awaiting the strike. Bert almost choked and his companion looked to see what was the matter and froze. He considered drawing his sidearm, and the thought instantly vaporized. Mike had grown up in Missouri and prior to enlisting in the union army had seen plenty Missouri raiders. This man looked exactly like them except he was in a presentable Confederate uniform and wearing Sergeants stripes.

“I smelled your cooking and thought I might beg a meal from you gents.” Said Glass in a too soft smooth voice. “Looks like y’all have plenty if you were a mind to share.” He finished.

“Soldier we’ve got orders not to feed any Confederates or give ‘em any aid whatsoever. “ said Mike looking guilty and embarrassed.

“Sounds understandable, seeing as how there are so many of us on our way home now. Bet those supplies wouldn’t last long if you fed every scarecrow that stumbled into your camp, and anyway, union soldiers have to be fed don’t they.” Said Glass.

Bert, thinking they were a hairs breadth from dying said in a shaken voice “I ain’t never turned away a hungry man in my life. I’ve been cooking for twenty years and I’m not gonna start being stingy now! Soldier you just dig right in and get all you want”. He said while handing Glass a full bowl and spoon.

As Glass held the bowl he looked at Mike and asked “Please forgive my ill manners, but is that pistol going to be a bother to you?’

“No Sir it ain’t! If it’s ok with you I’ll unbuckle it now and just get it out of the way. Ain’t no use making friends feel uneasy at supper time!” Mike said with a fearful grin.

“I would truly appreciate that.” Replied Glass as he began to slowly eat the stew and bannock break he had been served. After he had finished, Glass set the bowl down and thanked his unwilling hosts and complimented them on the quality of the meal.

“I’m a long way from home, and I was wondering if you gents could spare some hardtack, coffee, or the like? “

“You bet we can, Sergeant, we’ve got jerky, hardtack, coffee, sugar, and some canned oysters, or sardines if you prefer. Mike said eagerly. As much as you want!.

“If you could give me Cav rations for a week, I’d appreciate it. My horse could use some oats too if you have it.”

“Oh yes, we can do that, we only have about 20 lbs of oats though”

“That will be plenty, and I appreciate it greatly. If anyone gives you grief over the lost supplies, just tell them I robbed you at gunpoint” smiled Glass. “If they can catch me I will back up your story.”

Bert loaded the supplied into a flour sack and gingerly handed them over to Glass. “
    Where did you say you are from Sergeant?” He asked.

“I didn’t say” replied Glass. “I’m going to be camped near here tonite, and I’d sure take it unkindly for you to have someone come looking for me.” Said Glass with a pointed stare.

“Oh you don’t have to worry about that Sergeant” both mean assured Glass.

“Than a goodnight to both of you, and thanks for the grub.”

“Stop by for breakfast tomorrow morning, we’ll have bacon and biscuits!”

Glass smiled, nodded, and turned into the dark.

Once back at his camp, he fed his mustang some oats, quickly broke camp and led his horse deeper into the woods for about half a mile when he stopped to listen for any sounds of pursuit. Hearing nothing, Glass mounted up and slowly rode thru the woods due west toward home, letting the dun pick his way and speed. From here out, it would be a slow and cautious trip.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  19. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

In the days that followed, Glass moved slowly and cautiously, scanning for enemy activity of which there was plenty. His early life dodging Comanche warriors was the best training to be had. Compared to Native Americans, union soldiers were a breeze to bypass, or just let stroll by as they attended their business. The Line-backed Dun he rode was of immense help, his superior senses picking up on things that Glass never could. Glass had plenty of practice stretching his supplies as a Confederate Cavalryman, but he let the dun graze as frequently as possible on the trip. Between the grass, and a little oats fed daily, the horse began to look better and regain a bit of weight he had lost.

Glass covered two hundred miles before he needed to stop for supplies. He was also broke except for twenty one Confederate dollars that were worth nothing now. What to do? No money, friends, and few options. David did not like where this was heading, but saw no way around it. He was being forced into begging, robbing, or theft and he must still reach home with what little he had intact. Looks like it was time to visit the Yankees again. Moving slowly, and keeping his eyes open, David scouted out the units moving around his current location. Combat line units had to be avoided at all costs for obvious reasons. Another supply or support unit of some type would be ideal, he just had to be patient. On the third day Glass found what he needed, three mule drawn wagons with only six men in attendance. He would visit them tonight.

Moving with painstaking slowness, David crept up close and watched the camp from different locations before deciding to move in. One large mule was more alert than the others, and followed Davids progress through the woods. Moving in close to the encampment, David lay behind a tree listening to the men’s conversation. One man in particular was a nasty contentious brute that bullied the other men. I wonder if he is related to Hendrix, he sure does act like him. Thought David as the man moved toward where the mules were tied.

“I’m going to teach this iron-mouthed jackass a lesson. When I get thru with him, he will be glad to pull his weight and stop balking!”

“I bet you can’t replied another. We’ve had that mule close to a year and have gotten little out of him. That Tennessee family had spoiled him and their slaves. Most of them was nothing short of pets.”

“Yeah, I remember their house servant calling us no good uppity white trash, and chicken thieves.” Said another. Shoot, we only stole horses and mules, the occasional pig not withstanding.”

The first man coiled a whip over his shoulder and strode over to the picket line. Taking a rope, he lassoed the big mule with some difficulty and called for the men to come over and help him drag the mule over to a sturdy tree and and tie him up. Warning the men to give him some room, he began to vigorously whip the mule drawing blood as he went. Glass with a cold rage flowing through his mind stepped out in to the clearing with his double barrel shotgun leveled.

“That’s enough!” Shouted Glass. “I’ll kill the next man that moves! All of you, move over to the fire and keep your hands in the air. One wrong move and the whores you fell out of are going to be squalling and wanting your death benefits” Glass hissed ominously. “Shuck them guns starting from left to right, and one at a time. Get outa line and you will be shot.”

Hendrix Man still holding the whip in one hand spat on the ground, and contemptuously said “I ain’t taking orders from no confederate tra”

David’s shotgun boomed and sent a buckshot load through the man’s right knee, wrecking the leg, dropping him instantly and causing him to ceaselessly scream and roll on the ground unnerving every union man in the camp. “Somebody shut that fool up before I blow his head off” said Glass calmly as he shifted the shotgun to is left hand and drew a .44 Remington with his right hand.

One man signaled, David nodded, and the man when to the wounded teamster to hold him down and placed a gloved hand over the man’s mouth to silence him.

“That’s better, now I can at least speak normally. Does anyone else have any problems at all with taking orders from Confederate trash?” David asked. Every man there vigorously shook his head no, and David replied. “Good, now we can conduct business without any further interference….. I hope.”

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

If they won't listen to reason kneecap 'em!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7