The M/C Shop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghrit, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

This Triumph would work for me too. Liking the retro look. Maybe showing my age.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409637144.981256.

My opinion is these old style cruisers would work better in a pinch as a dual sport bike than a sport bike. And would probably be more comfortable on surface streets than a dual sport.

That's just what I think. I've been wrong before. That's why I like hearing other peoples' opinions and experiences.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There are some things not right with that picture, starting with disk brakes that were never on the original. But if that style is to your liking, have a squint at this -
    Scrambler | Triumph Motorcycles

It happens that I own a Triumph, a completely different beast than that. (There's a shot of it in this post. The m/c shop

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Was looking at the Scrambler as well. How do you like yours?

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I had a Honda scrambler, same bike?

5. ghrit

It's a Sprint ST (955I), not a scrambler. I like it a lot on pavement, good fun in the twisties and will cruise comfortably all day at (WAY) extra legal speeds. Off pavement, it's hazardous to my carcass.

This last incarnation of the Triumph badge is good. They don't dribble all over the floor, no longer use the Prince of Darkness (Lucas) electricals, so I've had no problems with it at all. Mucho snort, and that 3 cylinder howl under load is mesmerizing to the point you might forget to turn it off when you get to cruising speed. The EFI is a bit snatchy at low speeds and revs, but with a bit of practice you can get around that. Saying this, it is NOT a beginner's bike; if you aren't expecting it, it'll leave you at the stop sign.

Hanzo likes this.
  6. ghrit

Distinctly not ---

kellory likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Better than a Single Cyl 250.... Like riding on Square Wheels.....

8. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Had one, 700cc twin. Made in England 1960s. Ran fine, only complaint on that one I had was the WHITWORTH bolts and nuts.

It was actually badged in the US as an Indian.

Had a contact in INDIA that stated they had poorly made carbs and would often need to be "opened up" and cleaned out but I figure most of that was bad gas.

Hanzo likes this.
  10. HK_User

Funny thing, I was at a Bike shop yesterday, setting on the Bonneville. Fine bike in its new guise and the only thing I did not like was the seat.

No problem, MUSTANG Seats has a good replacement in stock. Once upon a time I rode a 650 Bonny coast to coast with 300 lbs of personal gear. Nope not a girl friend. Just enough gear to set up a place until the Movers arrived with uniforms, etc.

Hanzo likes this.
  11. HK_User

Brokor and Hanzo like this.
  12. HK_User

Yamaha RD 400 by The Wrenchmonkees

I like it!

I am in the process of reroading my YAMAHA RD-400. It was at one time a production class Road Racer. Now converted for legal road status. Add ons, Bassani pipes, tires, carbs rejetted, K&N airfilters and a few other things.

TO Do List. The latest light weight battery with still 120 CCA. A real charging system with electronic ignition. You see the OEM points system for the 1978 would not start without a charged battery. The new system can be used sans battery. Also I'll be replacing all rubber or plastic hoses etc.

My Pictures later.

Enjoy the Wrenchmonkees version below.
    [​IMG]
    The Yamaha RD 400 is a noisy, polluting, unreliable motorcycle. It’s also wonderful. I know that 2-strokes are frowned upon in the modern age of melting ice caps, vanishing glaciers, super-sized hurricanes and acid rain but if we put all of that aside for a moment, we all know that 2-strokes represent a high water mark on the amount of fun it’s possible to have on two wheels.
    This RD 400 is a custom by the talented Danes at Wrenchmonkees, they have a knack for turning out urban-cafe-street-figher creations that look as though they should be used in a post-apocalypic Tarantino film. This bike is no different, they rebuilt the engine but kept the standard frame and stock swingarm, they lowered the stock front fork by 2 inches and added black fork-gaiters.
    Performance oriented Bitubo rear springs were added, as was a DG exhaust system, they added steel braided brake hoses and a Brembo rear brake-master. That seat and rear cowling is all custom made and the head light is a Wrenchmonkees special.
    The completed bike has the look of a small displacement bike that could very well embarrass some much larger, much more modern sport bikes. And we like it.
    Click to visit The Wrenchmonkees.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. HK_User

I had mothballed my RD 400 for a few reasons.
    1 is the old style points, drift was their middle name.
    2 was the poor charging system and the poor coils.
    3 was the need for a charged battery to even start this 1978 Yamaha kick start bike. Give me a brake, charged battery needed on a kick start bike!???
    Overall it was a super rocket and fun to ride.

So......... A Czech Republic now supplies a master change over to replace all the old school parts. Highly crafted and well documented it will provide a instant start to a bike that has been setting for months, as long as the fuel is decent.

Upgrades in hand!

WHAT A COUNTRY that Czeck place.

Having raced two strokes I like the smell of smokey exhaust fumes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    Quigley_Sharps, kellory and Hanzo like this.
  14. HK_User

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  15. HK_User

Motorcycle Training in the Mil. Note, some commands require special PPE when riding on a base.

This is not your old 'T' Shirt and jeans garb.

References:
    OPNAVINST 5100.12J
    DODINST 6055.4
    TRAINING REGISTRATIONOn-Line course Registration via ESAMS (search for a course on Home page)
    On-line Registration via Navy Motorcycle Rider Training Registration
    There are two levels of motorcycle training offered by the Navy
    Level I
    Basic Rider Course (BRC) - (16 hours).
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) approved course. Course is mandatory for all active duty personnel who plan to purchase or operate a motorcycle regardless of their intent to ride the motorcycle on or off base. State MC license with appropriate motorcycle endorsement or motorcycle learner’s permit is required to enroll for personnel operating their own motorcycle for the course. (Personnel operating a MC with a permit are required to comply with the issuing state requirements for permits. Example: VA requires permit holders to ride with another rider who has a motorcycle operator’s license.) Training sites now have a limited number of training aids for use by personnel who are novice riders or considering the purchase of a motorcycle. Operators of motorcycles with attached sidecars or three-wheeled motorcycles are excluded from required motorcycle training. The BRC card does not expire, however all riders shall continue to enhance their motorcycle skills and competency by completing refresher Naval Safety Center approved motorcycle training course (i.e., ERC/BRC-2, ARC, MSRC, etc.) at a minimum of every 3 years.
    Level II: Level II training is considered follow-on training and is required within 60 days of completion of Level I training or upon changing the type of motorcycle being ridden. Riders must have roof of completion of the BRC; obtained a MC operator’s license prior to enrolling and provide their own motorcycles. Courses include:
    1. Military Sport Bike Rider Course (MSRC) (8 hours). Course is required for military personnel operating a sport-bike motorcycle on or off duty, regardless of their intent to ride their motorcycle on-base. Course also satisfies the mandatory recertification requirements for sport-bike riders, however all sport- bike riders are encouraged to complete the training as soon as possible.
    2. Experienced Rider Course (ERC/BRC-2) – (8 hours). Motorcycle Safety Course (5 hours, 1 day). Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) approved course. Group riding suite IS NOT included with this training.
    3. Advanced Rider Course (8 hours). The Advanced Rider Course (ARC) is the equivalent of the Military Sport Bike Course, the difference being it is geared towards cruiser riders. The first half is classroom training focusing on your behavior as a rider. The second half is riding on the range and practicing the different body positions you learn in the classroom. There are 8 exercises, mostly geared towards cornering, stopping quickly and safety on your motorcycle. The course can be taken on either a cruiser or sport bike.
    Refresher Training: All active duty military personnel operating a motorcycle (on or off base) shall complete Level 1 or Level II training every three (3) years.
    Civilian Motorcycle Operators
    – All civilian motorcycle operators who have a current State motorcycle operator license with motorcycle endorsement or motorcycle permit are not required to complete any of the above training.
    Additional classes may be scheduled for groups of six or more. Please call (757) 444-3140 to discuss.
    Motorcycle Safety Equipment and Required Personal Protective Equipment:
    All motorcycles operating on DON installations will have all original safety equipment as designed by the manufacturer.
    All active duty military riders and passengers, on/off base, and all riders with passengers on any DON installation shall comply with the following personal protection while riding motorcycles.
    1. Head Protection. A helmet meeting DOT, Snell Memorial Foundation Certification or host nation certification shall be worn and properly fastened under the chin. Fake or novelty helmets are prohibited.
    2. Eye Protection. Protective eye devices designed for motorcycle operators (impact or shatter resistant safety glasses, goggles, wrap around glasses sealing the eye, or face shield properly attached to the helmet) shall be properly worn. A windshield or standard sunglasses or standard eye wear alone are not proper eye protection.
    3. Foot Protection. Sturdy over the ankle footwear that affords protection for the feet and ankles shall be worn.
    4. Protective Clothing. Riders and passengers shall wear long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens designed for use on a motorcycle. Motorcycle jackets constructed of abrasion resistant materials such as leather, Kevlar, and/or cordura and containing impact-absorbing padding are highly recommended. To enhance the ability of other vehicle operators to see and avoid motorcyclists, outer garments constructed of brightly colored and reflective materials are highly recommended. Reflective outer garments or vest are strongly advised during nighttime hours and periods of limited visibility (i.e., dusk/dawn, fog, rain, etc.).
    5. Personnel attending MC Training classes on base may wear appropriate civilian attire.
    Class requirements and sign up procedures:
    1. Personnel attending and using their own motorcycle must have a valid motorcycle driver's license or motorcycle designator (e.g., Class M in Virginia on your driver's license) to attend this class. Personnel with Motorcycle Learner’s Permits are permitted to attend the course; however they must abide by state licensing requirements. (i.e., VA MC Learners Permits requires operator to ride with a fully licensed MC operator on another MC to operate a MC on city/state/base roads.) Personnel may trailer or truck their motorcycles to the class site. Personnel using a training motorcycle must have a valid driver’s license; motorcycle permits are highly encouraged.
    2. Personnel using their own motorcycles must have them properly registered, inspected (if required) and insured.
    3. Arrangements will be made for you to obtain a temporary pass to allow your motorcycle on base for the class will be issued for the class dates. Passes will be issued from the Pass & ID office where the class is being held.
    4. Classes are normally scheduled from 0700-1600. Personnel must be present for the full class to obtain a completion card.
    NO SHOWS - FAILURE TO CANCEL COURSE RESERVATIONS IN A TIMELY MANNER RESULTS IN EMPTY SEATS WHICH MAY HAVE OTHERWISE BEEN FILLED. ACTIVITIES WILL BE NOTIFIED OF ALL NO SHOWS.

16. HK_User

I have to say that I was much more impressed with the Scout after seeing it in person.

Many post I have read have proven that the posters had never laid a hand on the Bike.

The radiator guard is the front frame member and is cast aluminum. The rear fender is attached/sets on the rear cast aluminum frame member. Check out the parts book of which I posted the web site on another post above for a look of how this Puppy goes together.

The real ife visual is better than any pictures.

So.. I dropped a Dime for being first on my block to have the new Indian Scout.

Special for doing so nets you a "Package" of goodies, contents yet to be released and the 5 year warrenty.

Deadline for the early delivery was today.

Sounds good too.

If any one has a question on what I saw or felt about the SCOUT, just ask.

DSCF0163.JPG DSCF0162.JPG DSCF0161.JPG DSCF0160.JPG 2015 Indian Scout on order.

5 Year warrenty!

New Bike to be in by Nov. 2014

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    D2wing, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  17. HK_User

New front fender for the 1978 YamahaRD 400.

Yamaha  OEM 1978 RD 400 Front Fender Parts 001.JPG
    Same fender bight and shiny.
    Yamaha  OEM 1978 RD 400 Front Fender Parts 002.JPG Ok, what we have here is some OEM NOS parts for my rebuild.
    As you can see the parts are all Homeland parts and not from India.
    The fender was very hard to find and of course being NOS they cost more than I wanted to spend, but it was a last part I needed for this rebuild. The mounting hardware was even found!

Yamaha  OEM 1978 RD 400 Front Fender Parts 003.JPG Fixed part of it for ya - ghrit
    Thanks ghrit, my ISP is having a lot of problems and said speed would be up to normal by the end of the month. Growth in this area has doubled and the new fiber optics is not yet commisioned.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  18. Minuteman

I backed out on this deal before. The guy was asking too much for an older bike, even with all the customization. I saw it on the classifieds a couple more times and he was coming off the price each time. He listed it again two days ago and I decided to make him an offer. I wrote him and told him what I would be willing to pay for it, a lot less than he was asking, and to my surprise he wrote back this morning and accepted my offer. So I will go pick it up on Tuesday. I'm going to name her the "Black Widow". My other one is the "Phoenix".

Yard Dart, HK_User and kellory like this.
  19. ghrit

Shipped from where, might I ask? Also, please do NOT forget that two wheels is a MUCH different beast than a trike, or the Black Widow maker just might be a widow maker as well --

20. Minuteman

Not shipped from anywhere. It belongs to another expat. It is in Saudi and I will keep it there until I retire then probably ship it back to the states. As for two wheels that is all I have ever rode since I was 14 yrs old. I only bought the trike for the wife. I had a friend ask my wife if I "knew" how to ride a two wheeler. He didn't mean anything by it but it really got under my skin. People wrongly assume that a trike is for old people or people who don't want to learn to ride a bike. That's rubbish. They are no more easier to ride than a two wheeler, just different. People who jump on a trike and expect to just roar off down the road are in for a big surprise. You have to learn to ride one just like you do a bike, they are a bit more forgiving but can still give you a very bad day if you take them for granted. I wish I had of been there I would have asked him if he knew how to ride a trike!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7