The knife you want on you when SHTF

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Dunerunner, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's difficult to have to choose, so I have several sets of knives I set into kits and they each follow these parameters:
    • One should be for skinning
    • One must be general purpose/utility
    • One should be a backup skinning blade or backup utility
    I keep these knives in a main storage container in sets of 3 like this, and pretty much leave it this way. I do, however have a folder I keep on me as an EDC which would most likely be my SHTF primary until I can get to my stash.

DSC01126.JPG Bark River, Fox River in A2 with orange pine cone handle. Excellent skinning blade with a full convex edge.

DSC01124.JPG
    Buck 110 folder - Gifted to me by Mountainman. This would serve as a utility blade. Notice the edge variation :)

DSC01123.JPG This is a little custom mini skinner made by Richards knives for me. It's a very small and chunky full convex blade made from D2.

Of course, the EDC these days has been the Paramilitary lightweight. It's perhaps the best folder I have ever carried daily because I don't even know I have it with me.
    DSC01127.JPG

So, the one blade I will have on me will most likely be the one. If I had to choose between them, I would go with the Bark River because it's the largest. Plus, folders are rather easy to come by compared to a perfectly crafted fixed blade with a convex skinning edge.

Plan B likes this.
  2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

My next blade build will be putting a hard Bowie back cut edge on an 11" minimum kukri. Bill Bagwell measured me out and said 11" blade was perfect for me on a bowie blade when I got mine.

It just seems a good idea, but may be a Frankenstein. I'll have to see how it runs. I mean, I like both my kukris and bowies a lot

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Jerry Fisk and Plan B like this.
  3. Machiavelli

Machiavelli Monkey

I'm fortunate to own a Gerber BMF with sawback blade had it for over 20yrs now, great for SHTF situations.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. AgentPickle

AgentPickle Monkey

My OKC M9 bayonet. Never bring Just a knife to a gunfight. Bring BOTH!

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  5. Seadawg

Seadawg Luddite Engineer

I'm kind of a knife guy, so this trio is always on my person.[​IMG]
    But if I had to run for my life to god knows what, I'd grab this one above all others that I own.
    [​IMG]
    But that just what works for me, your milage may differ

6. Jerry Fisk

Jerry Fisk Monkey

Be sure you main knife is a fixed blade a folder folds..on a hinge pin... the knife strength/weakness centers around the hunge pin. Folders are good as back ups.

Zimmy and CraftyMofo like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Just found out Swiss Army is becoming knifeless.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner