The Great Convergence of Calamities Is Upon Us

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deMolay, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Cory Gardner is a Republican Senator from Colorado and he is calling for the President to stop the shutdown without the wall. Susan Collins is a Republican from Maine. She is standing with the Democrats also. We need to stop thinking that the Dems and the Republicans are different. We need to stop thinking that one label cares more for the country then the other. They all seem like the same to me. The Republicans had control for many years and did sqwat. How many said they were going to repeal Obamacare? Well news now says that Diabetics cannot afford their medicine and this weeks news was major drug companies are increasing some drugs by 9%. Seems to me neither R or D's fixed the broken healthcare system. I believe that is why we are all here on this site. We are learning to take care of ourselves and our loved ones because not one politician is going to save us from our country.

as1mov, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Dems and Reps - two sides of the same wooden nickle. No real difference to speak of.

as1mov, Witch Doctor 01, GOG and 3 others like this.
  3. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

wooden nickle is being polite - more like a pile of horse apples in my humble opinion. Like horse apples they need to be shoveled up and composted.

as1mov, GOG, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Shoot man, The kind of money there people make on the backside in the form...Well anything,Congress should be paying us instead!

as1mov, Witch Doctor 01 and oldman11 like this.
  5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I'll have to get out a ladder and dig around in my library. I have to find a book of political cartoons from about 1890-1920. The parallels in what's happening now, and the "sky is falling" reporting makes me believe that chelloveck isn't far off the mark here. This "crisis" is nothing like we haven't seen before. My influence in National government is as limited as the next guys. I can call and write letters, but I'm ultimately just one voice.

Where I can make a difference is within my AO. I can visit other people who are still recovering from storm damage, I can network with others locally, I can train, organize and prepare....for whatever happens next. I sure won't waste my time watching CNN or waiting for the next tweet from anyone. I do a lot more living and preparing with the TV off, and even more with the power off. My blood pressure stays a lot more stable as well.

as1mov, Witch Doctor 01, GOG and 4 others like this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Hey if they keep this partial shut down going maybe the furloughed workers will all quit and find new jobs. Most of the paper pushers are about useless anyway. Pay the coast guard and the guys out in the field doing the real work. Let the other leeches starve.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I had a civilian employee on my team during the 94-95 shutdowns. He went fishing, and we only missed him because he was a nice guy. I taught every other class instead of every third class. If anything we got more proficient while he was away.

So many jobs that are now filled by civilians on base were once handled by Marines. It's tough to find an Exchange Marine, although they're still around. Active duty cooks and bakers are scarce. Does anybody have mess duty or stand guard anymore? Base Police (civilian) now augment the MP's, which was a reasonable change, since police and military police have different missions. I haven't seen a Barracks Police Sergeant since the early 80's. That's another definition that has nothing to do with law enforcement and everything to do with maintaining the police of the company area, and barracks. (grass mowing, trash collection, linen issue, changing light bulbs, etc.) The base bus system is a skeleton of what it once was, and the Marine motor transport drivers were long ago replaced with civilians.

The Clinton era shutdowns lasted 27 days, so we aren't even close. Time enough to let the idea of "non-essential personnel" sink in.

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Worst effect here is the outdoor shooting range is maintained by the Feds. No ROs, just a contractor for range cleanup two days a week. Still, they close it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A few year ago the democrats wanted the wall .

Gator 45/70, mysterymet and oldman11 like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Trump should and can take the money out of Congresses retirement fund,Pretty much like Congress did with our S.Security money!

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The Democrats already blinked.
    Chuck shithead already said "we can discuss the wall after we get the government running", or something to that effect.
    They showed their hand, they need the government running more than we do.
    About 4 hours after EBT cards stop working they will give us the wall, all the deleted fbi and hillery emails, ect.

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and oldawg like this.
  12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Don't count your chuck'ns, as the Kiwis would say....Trump has painted himself into a corner, he is the one with the weak hand....the only leverage he has is holding the gun of mortgage foreclosures and loan defaults against the heads of Federal workers who are furloughed at the pleasure of Don, the President who acts more like a Mafioso Don, than the President of the USA.

Humpty Trumpty is already on record as owning responsibility for the partial government shutdown, and now he's weaseling out of his baby, blaming it all on the Dems.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That's how business with sharks is done Ol'Chap,I personally wish he would close the border,Then we will hear some squawking!
    Can't have the drug money pay-offs to the politico's cut-off can we?

oldawg likes this.
  15. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Add in the Domestic mess, the Border Crisis, the Foreign Adventures spinning out of control, the ME mess, the Ukraine mess, the NK mess, UK mess, the trade wars, the approaching Grand Solar Minimum and crop losses. Now this fair warning of Global Economic Collapse. Down periscope and dive, dive. Sh*te meet fan. "Something Biblical Is Approaching" - Here Are The Scenarios Of The Collapse

as1mov and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. duane

duane Monkey+++

Long past time to worry about the collapse, if at this time you don't have as many of your ducks in a row as possible, blame yourself not the system. Now is the time to be as prepared as possible, as out of debt as possible, to have as much cached as you can, to be set up to live like the Amish, able to survive without the outside world, only I am willing to enjoy the outside world until it is gone. I see no chance of reversing the present political and social changes that we face as they are not based on the old patterns. We can not survive in a system that has 2% of the population, farmers, factory workers, oil field workers, etc, support the other 98 %. Last numbers I saw on our gross national product were total about 19.3 trillion dollars, ag sector .2 T, const .6 T, manufact 2.1 T, mine .4 T, gov 2.2 T, services 12.7 T, transp .5 T, util .3 T . It is actually worse than it looks as gov purchases, food stamps, F-35, etc show up in ag, mining, and manufacturing. Still 14.9 T out of the 19.3 T are for all practical purposes are based on somebody else"s money or washing each others back. You can say that my social security and medical care, my TV watching, the car I drive, the fuel I heat my house with, and everything else is a social good, but "someone else" has to both produce it and as a retired individual with social security and retirement savings, supply the money to allow me to buy those goods. If I was a 3 rd generation welfare customer, I would never put anything into the system to support my present consumption, nor that of the next generation. Sorry, I don't know how much longer we can keep kicking the can down the road, the Pilgrims survived that first winter by stealing the seed corn the natives had put away for their next crop, and the democraps want to kick the can down the road by stealing the money from the retired and the wealthy. That has worked so well in the past. My personal bias is to fix my neighbors tools, get to know them in church and out, to establish friendships with a group of people who you trust, Hint, you are not likely to find them at college or the local anti pipeline protest, but people who would have the sense to reject a lot of the BS that we are going to hear if things do get tough. YMMV, but every time I turn on the TV, it is 100 % against Trump, and hours of the democrap speeches. Do not talk about what to do if there is a national emergency, most of the US population, welfare, black, gangs, drug addicts, poor, extreme debt for home, credit card, cars, medical expenses, college educations, etc, have already lost the battle and have no choice but to support the system that promises to let them to continue to exist. We had a war on poverty, and the poor lost, now they have to continue to exist to feed the parasites that depend on them for their salaries or votes to stay in power.

Ganado, deMolay, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  17. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I wonder if all these “Calamities” (Fires, Floods, EarthQuakes) that have ravaged Commiefornia is due to the population turning away from “The Maker”. If this were Biblical Times one would expect to see a Prophet, the likes of Elijah or Joanah walking the Streets in “Sack Cloth & Ashes”.... Yealling “The end is near, and Repent of your Sins, and be saved by the Gift of the Christ, or be Burned like stubble in the fields....” Just a thought....

deMolay, as1mov, Capt. Tyree and 2 others like this.
  19. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Could be turning away from the Maker, but more apt to be turning from common sense. (Might be the same thing, dunno.)

mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7