The difficulty of moving as a prepper

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by tinfoil hat Davy, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I think my brother has that. Amazing! I wish I had my Evel Knievel toys still. That guy was my idol growing up.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Gator 45/70, SB21 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Mine to ,, i was disappointed when he went to jump the Snake River Canyon ,, and he was using some kind of jet mobile ,,, that wasn't a motorcycle.
    My Dad usually gave me some of them old Tonka Trucks around Christmas time ,,,,, the ones that said they couldn't get torn up ,,, they should've let me be one of their toy testers ,, they were tuff ,, but not indestructible. Then 1 year ,, I opened a box Christmas morning,, and out came a 1/2 plastic truck. That thing didn't last a day .

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and Meat like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I saved all the boys He-man and the masters of the universe stuff in a large wooden trunk.

When he got married and a place of his own I loaded up the trunk and deposited it at his house.

He was amazed I had saved all those toys for him.....

Meat, SB21, mysterymet and 3 others like this.
  4. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

I have given a lot of thought about this. For the five or so years I have been moving things out to my property. I think I paid $3600 for a shipping container which included delivery. Then I started moving my secondary stuff. Extra tools, scavenged building materials, bags of charcoal, extra clothing. Things I would not really miss if stolen.

Most of what I store I pack ready to transport if necessary. Its labeled and dated so it doesn't get lost in storage. Even my canning jars both used and empty are packed for a rough ride.

With the way things are going I am thinking about moving my essentials, at least most of it. My property is in a safe, hard to find area. There are maybe 20+ full time residents but I can't think of anything ever happening out there. But if I do that i am all in, as in leaving the city for good. I guess I will step my mom on top of the load. Like granny on the Beverly hillbillies.

5. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

You might want to plant some test stuff out there and see if those 20 folks a) notice, or b) take some. Ya gotta know your neighbors by the numbers when you plant yourself with no way out.

6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I had Big Jim. Action figures not dolls you SOB’s. Lol.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

In the ten plus years I had my place the only thing taken was a rebate cutter and a charcoal starter. I know when I am gone a nosey old coot trespasses. Caught him many times on camera. Never called him out. He is harmless to me. Under normal circumstances I would have no issue leaving materials out there. But now is different, lots of unemployment people. Hell in Albuquerque drug users are now routinely robbed drug dealers, source APD family. To approach my place, I am at the end of the road, you have to pass grumpy old coot and people we know. But... would feel much more comfortable with my youngest one living out there. He loves it out there but he also loves his too active social life

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

@tinfoil hat Davy welcome to freedom, well at least a little more than you had :) Depending where you are at, you will not need to get your vehicle inspected for registration, just go to the county clerk with the required info and you'll walk out with your new plates.

We moved 5 years ago, out of Memphis and to Fayette County (next county over and not in any incorporated city). Did the move ourselves, too damn cheap to hire a company LOL. Before the house was listed on the market, we rented a storage unit near the old house and filled it up, and most of the "outdoor" stuff (trailer, mowers,etc.) and garage stuff when to my in-law's house. Biggest PIA in my opinion was keeping the reloading equipment and firearms "hidden" for the showings. Fortunately, the first showing offered full price by the end of the first day. After that move, and getting my "shop" built (24x48) I really don't want to move, ever again.
    When my mom moved from Yuma to Knoxville last year, she said she'd sell me her box trailer, 20' car hauler. She wanted "NEW" pricing for it (she want's premium for everything but will pinch a penny when buying), I had to pass. As it is now, if we had to relocate in short order I would head to my hunting property, where we have food, water and other supplies and could live comfortably for a month or more.

Yard Dart, STANGF150 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. tinfoil hat Davy

tinfoil hat Davy Monkey++

Here in Rutherford County smog test is required. But no more NJ Firearms ID card , no more pistol purchase permit applications (2- 12 week delay) no more fingerprinting and no more jackass politics with insane property taxes. I'm loving it!

STANGF150, Gator 45/70 and kckndrgn like this.
  10. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Memphis had a smog test and inspection years ago, then stopped when funding ran out to keep the stations running. It was always a PIA to get tested. You had to get to the station about an hour before they opened and get in line, never a "slow" day either.
    Fayette County has no such requirements :)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

hehe I'm in Rutherford County too!! Only in my case its Rutherford County North Carolina!! Bet you wished you had of gotten out of Jersey years ago don't you? Maybe I really am an inbred redneck hillbilly hick as the political elites refer to us Southerners, but i could NEVER live in the NorthEast!!! An not just b/c of the sheer volume of People!!!

12. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

If you go through this again, consider donating that salt or excess food to a food bank. No point in putting good stuff on the curb, although hopefully someone grabbed it.

Ammo and firearms are the biggest PITA to move. You typically want to keep control of them and have access on both ends of the move. What I've found that works is to have a friend or relative at the new location who will store some of your guns and ammo. Then I shuttle the survival supplies, keeping enough for short contingencies at my original home. Last move that loads up as the moving trucks do has my final load of long guns, most of my pistols and a significant amount of ammo, plus the family silver and coins...pretty much loads up one of the vehicles. Retired after 30 yrs in the military, we had a lot of moves to practice. Looks like I may have one more in a year or so to move closer to the grandkids once the in-laws are gone.

JrOrtiz, Yard Dart and mysterymet like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7