The Beer Tent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clyde, Sep 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

OK. Just got back. I ended up not going to the Stiegl brewery. Everyone said the tour was boring and the beer was available everywhere, even in the hotel room mini bar. But I found another place that was awesome! There are 6 breweries in Salzburg and everyone told me to go to the Augustine brewery. It is a nearly 400 yr old monastery where the monks brew their own beer. They have a huge beer hall upstairs at the brewery and it is open every night. You pay for your beer then take a stone half or 1 liter mug from a shelf. They have a water fountain where ice cold alpine spring water comes straight from the mountain. You run you mug under the water to chill it then take it over to a guy who draw your beer from a wooden cask. Then you go to the beer hall, which looks like something out of an old viking movie, and find a spot on a bench or around one of the long wooden tables. It was the best beer I have ever drank anywhere in the world! My wife doesn't care much for beer and she even loved it. A really smooth and musky beer with very little after taste. But they only sell it there, it isn't a commercial product. Fantastic way to end the trip.

Augustinian Brewery in Salzburg - Austria - An Austria Attraction
    DSCI0799.JPG

2. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355268881.378533.

3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Clyde, do you approve of my new avatar?

4. Clyde

Crafty - nothing says, "I like beer" more than the 0.0 sticker. Perhaps we need to come up with our own competition? Sure, those snobby distance runners and tri-atheletes can have their 140.6 ironman sticker and think we are impressed.

Beer-atheletes are people, too. We need to unite because we are a minority and deserve special treatment. I wonder how many of those waify wimps understand the concept that you can either eat or drink, but you can't really do both because you will get full? Probably none.

0.0 slogan?

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Slightly OT:

I am taking a tour of Ireland tonight. So far, I can highly recommend Greenore-some of the smoothest stuff I've ever drank.

irish_whiskey.

gunbunny likes this.
  6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

7. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

8. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

9. enough

enough Monkey++

Well, with the promise of spring coming up, I'm moving from the malts to the hops. I dug a couple hoppers out from the back of the beer fridge last weekend. Two notables, which I'm sure I've mentioned in the past are Hopslam and Double Trouble. I put away one bottle of each from last year and wanted to see how the hops evolved, or devolved, as you will.

Spoken plainly, they both rocked! In fact, I was pretty surprised how similar they ended up. When new, they were distinct brews, but with a year of dust on them, they both mellowed so much they my buds couldn't tell a significant difference.

Hopslam had lost its honey character, but surprisingly retained a lot of the floral hops. Double Trouble lots its sharp bitterness, and it turned into a pretty fresh floral character. Both of them had a noticeable sweetness to them. Not malt sweet, not honey sweet, it wasn't a overt sugar sweet, it was a simple sweetness that presented itself, tasted fine, and dissolved away.

It was an interesting study in mega-IPAs for sure.

Last note for now, I picked a four pack of Sierra Nevada's 2013 Bigfoot. Its going to chill a while before I start cutting into it.

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

kellory likes this.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

12. enough

enough Monkey++

I like that corny getup. I have a folding fabric cooler that suffices on days when you you plan to park on the sandbar all day. Its up to two cornies and the gas system, plus enough ice to keep it all cool. Those little luggage wheel sure make it nice. One trip from the basement to the boat. ;)

13. Clyde

i think that is a great beer stroller

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

OMFG you guys have to try this. I miss Beligium, and so far, this is the best I can find state-side...

maredsous-2-1024x855.

Comes in 1 pint bottles with cork and clasp. 8% alcohol content...so beautiful.

16. Clyde

I was flying next to a guy who had taken a tour of the Corona brewery in Mexico. I don't classify Corona as beer. He stated the following:

"I saw 2 of the biggest rats I have ever seen swimming in the vat and I think I saw a mexican peeing in another one. After that tour, I decided I would never drink Coronoa again. I had seen too much!".

17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

My daughter brought me a couple of growlers from a new brewery in Gig Harbor, WA and it was pretty good. She brought a double IPA and an Amber from NW Sea's Brewing- nice
    fathers day present.

IMG_20130618_060317_071 (1).

18. Minuteman

960275_563724007003602_937724445_n.

gunbunny likes this.
  19. Minuteman

I hope they come in other colors!!!

532356_572535462767991_1960683652_n.

20. Minuteman

beerbulance.

Falcon15 likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Altoidfishfins
  7. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Oct 23, 2018, 23 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Witch Doctor 01
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. AxesAreBetter
  15. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  16. chelloveck
  17. 3M-TA3
  18. Yard Dart
  19. OldDude49
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7