Stump removal

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by oil pan 4, Jul 6, 2021.

1. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Yep. Big elm in my backyard took 8 or 9 years before it rotted enough to knock out with a hammer.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  2. matijasever

matijasever Monkey

Keeping them from growing back through the barb wire fence can be achieved by ensuring the roots are properly removed during stump removal and by maintaining the fence area. Good luck with your stump elimination project!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Doing some work on the stump grinder this week.
    Make it self towable by building an easy to add and remove tow bar. I put highway tires and axel on it so I could tow it all by it's self or behind the trailer.
    Got some of the parts powder coated, pink.
    Going to install a bypass oil filter on the engine, a 10 micron hydraulic filter.
    I discovered an upgraded air filter, all I did was buy an air filter for an old style Honda cyclone air cleaner. The Honda filter is bigger and has more filter surface area and I bet the paper used is better than the paper used on the predator one. The foam pre-filter on the Honda filter is better too, foam cells are a lot finer and I sprayed down the foam with k&n air filter oil. Replaced the thumb nut with a lock nut.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Here's failed version one of the stump grinder tow bar.
    I did this around 2 years ago and I'm not even sure how I did it and I'm stilll impressed.
    That's 2 lock nuts inside of the hitch tube.

IMG_20230929_123157_3.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My stump grinder is now pink.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Pink? You be styling man!

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oil test for the stump grinder came back.
    After around 8 to 10hrs of run time the oil was too dirty to get a particle count, so that's bad.
    Wear metals for aluminum and iron were 33ppm each, that's no good.
    Silicon was 75ppm, which could be anti foaming plus ground up RTV but it's probably mostly dirt from the air filter vibrating loose, it seemed a bit loose but not loose enough to let dirt get by. Yeah dirt got by.
    Oh and the lab recommended changing the oil now.
    I'm going to add a "10 micron" hydraulic filter, add enough oil to fill the filter so the oil level is correct and run it for another hour or 2 and retest.

I haven't ran it since I pulled the sample, been powder coating and working on it.
    Didn't want to put the time and money into powder coating it until I knew it was going to work. I mean I built it of course it's going to work, I should have known that.

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I installed the oil filter same as on the wood chipper, increased oil capacity by about a quart. I thought I put 20w-50 weight oil in the engine, the oil test said it was too thin, probably used 10w-30. Well I made sure to fill it with 20w-50 to make up for what the filter holds.
    I'm going to run it for an hour or 2 this weekend and retest.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
    SB21 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Only ran it for an hour but I got another paying job to do that might get enough time on it to retest the oil.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7