STEEL And KNIVES (A Comparison and Explanation)

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Brokor, Jun 11, 2014.

1. percival

percival Monkey

I just stumbled onto carothersknives.com. Small American forge that produces "Delta 3V". Guy chops through 3/8" rusty steel chain with no damage to the edge. I want one to be sure but I probably won't be willing to pay the price. Delta stands for his own heat-treat process.
    DEK2 4.5" w/HRC 60.5
    [​IMG]
    I just bought my first CPM-3V blade, the white river fc pro 3.5 in cerakote to be my new edc. The knife is superb.

And then there's this ridiculous steel (fugly though) from usa.sandrinknives.com. "Polyhedral Tungsten Carbide" with an HRC of 71! Stays sharp but probably a little brittle for real world knife use. But if all you do is slice and dice there is no compar.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    SB21 likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The craziest steel I have seen is what Dr uses in their chipper blades.
    It's a high chromium tool steel.
    It's a PITA to sharpen but when gets sharp it stays sharp.

SB21 likes this.
  3. percival

percival Monkey

Good to know. Thanks. We're gonna need a dr trimmer for all the heads on pikes going up.

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Nathan and Jo at CPK are good people who produce a great and respected product. The Delta HT that developed and apply to 3V certainly seems to milk the last oz or performance out of that steel !!! I generally prefer Busse blades and their steels but that is certainly much more about taste than performance of the products.

5. Jerry Fisk

Jerry Fisk Monkey

Yall don't jump past some of those old steels. L6 is a heck of a steel and it's old.
    When I make myself a momo steel knife for my own carry, it is L6, though I do use and ocassional trap spring for the grandchildren and I water quench those.
    As was mentioned 5160 is a good one and I use 1070 to mix with my damascus. I both water quench or oil quench my steel .

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    Zimmy likes this.
  6. Jerry Fisk

Jerry Fisk Monkey

Ive used 5160 and it works well, ive folded up 1,000,000 plus layers a few times and used it, the best seems to me, is a simple 10 series carbon steel so if i was making one to go to war with so to speak i would use 1075.

Brokor and CraftyMofo like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Matei
  5. Matei
  6. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. Ganado
  8. Ganado
  9. Coyote Ridge