Some Mountain Monkey Blades :0)

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Received yesterday Bear...... awesome is all I can say!!!!! The fire-starters are a very nice tool as well!!!

Bear likes this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@Yard Dart yer welcome buddy... thanks for the kind words... the firestarters were a one off... someone wanted a matching set for his hatchet... so I whipped one out for him... and made a few extras :0)

On to other things... speaking of which... check your mailbox ;0)

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Got it on Thursday! Beautiful and definitely much nicer in hand than pictures can convey. Thanks again, Bear! Really appreciate you letting me get my hands on one of these. Will be a cherished member of my small collection of blades.

Bear likes this.
  4. Bear

You are most welcome @Byte ... I am honored that you have one of my tools in your collection... don't forget to beat the crap out it ;)

Byte likes this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Here is the Knife where I removed the Brass Rivets and replaced them with Stainless Steel Machine Screws. The screws have nuts on the back and are peened.

Knife Randall #14.JPG

6. Bear

@HK_User Nice Randall... Bo was one of the very first of the custom knifemakers... his knives are legendary! Great job on the sheath... looks fine to me!

Bear

7. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Well I had a member twist my arm for a couple special Christmas gifts... so I am making two of these for them....
    Unfortunately I am waiting for the scale liner material and corby bolts to arrive so I finished up the rest of things I could...

In the meantime... I also decided to use up the last of my blanks for the Mountain Monkey Blade and just finish them all.... 12-13 inch blade @ 18 overall....

Just waiting for the liner material and bolts to arrive so I can finish these last 5...

So I figured I'd offer up the remaining 3 to the Monkeys.... for anyone with funds left over after shopping or looking for a "gift" for themselves or a loved one or special buddy...

These will have some premium black walnut crotch burl handles with black liners... see the pics... (or I suppose I could change that since I'm still waiting... let me know if you prefer something else and I'll see if I can do that)...

Comes with the veg tanned riveted sheath... unfinished so you can decide what you want... or just wax or oil it....

These are absolutely the last my blanks for these and I won't be making any more of them....

$90 shipped priority mail to the USA only..... no funds sent until it is finished and you approve final...

Thanks for looking... offering to a couple buddies here on the rock ... so let me know quick if you want me to hold one for you...

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Attached Files:

8. HK_User

Count me in for one!

HK

Bear likes this.
  9. Bear

You got it @HK_User

One of three available spoken for.... Two left...

Thanks everyone...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Count me in as well...

11. Bear

You got it @Witch Doctor 01 ... Thanks...
    Two of the Three are now spoken for... one left....

Thanks everyone... Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Take Care and God Bless!

Bear

12. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

YES! I was afraid you'd never make them again. Count me in for the last one please!

13. Bear

Aloha @DarkLight ,

Yup... you got the last one! Thanks everyone...

I'll keep everyone informed on the progress... hopefully I get the black liners and corby bolts in the mail today and can finish these by next week....

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

kellory and DarkLight like this.
  14. HK_User

You too Bear.

kellory likes this.
  15. Bear

Update for these last 5 blades.... got the black liner and the corby bolts today in the mail...
    Hope to get the black walnut scales and black liner material epoxied up tomorrow.... (day after Thanksgiving is my day to get all the Christmas decorations and tree up... did that since my Daughter was born... and I'm running behind schedule... sucks to get old ;) )
    Then wait a day for it to set well... and then epoxy up the handles to the blades... and wait another day...
    Hopefully I will get these done next week and post up the pics....
    Thanks for your patience....
    You guys are the best!

Bear

16. DarkLight

Thank you and enjoy the time with family.

17. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Well had a few delays so I'm behind 2 days... but got these handle scales lined, fitted, countersunk, brass corby bolted, brass lanyard fitted and GFlex Epoxied and they are drying... I give it a full 24+ hours to cure for a rock solid handle.
    Here they are hanging .... won't get to them till Friday as I put them together yesterday evening.
    But I promised updates so here's a quick pic....

Thanks for your patience.... the premium black walnut crotch burl with black liners looks pretty awesome... even though they look like heck right now ;)

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Attached Files:

18. DarkLight

I think they look great.

Mountainman and Bear like this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

as always they are worth the wait!... they look great!

Bear likes this.
  20. Bear

Aloha Monkeys....

Got the handles done!... here's some pics...
    I'm gonna go in the order of the members who said they wanted one...

Picks from left to right... 1-5

the Mystery Member who twisted my arm to make these in the first place for special Christmas present get's the first two picks....
    @HK_User gets 3rd pick
    @Witch Doctor 01 gets 4th pick
    and @DarkLight gets 5th pick

Please let me know and I'll post what's available after the picks...

Last pic has numbers for each to avoid confusion...

I can tell you that all of these are just amazing beautiful handles... the Black Walnut Crotch Burl has a terrific chatoyance to it so that when you turn the handles in the sunlight they change from light to dark... simple finish to a quick 600 grit with just a little Ren wax finish in case you want to alter the handles to fit you better and apply your own finish...

Don't mind the blades... they get dusty and grimey from going in and out of the protective sleeve I use for the blade when I'm grinding and finishing the handles... will clean them up ;)

These will be ready to ship on Monday... just need to clean up the blades, final touch ups and edge.... and no worries if anyone changes their mind... I understand how that goes... these will be easy to find homes for ;)

One final reminder... if you are looking for the perfect blade with the perfect handles and perfect sheaths etc... and well... perfection... these are not the blades for you and am I am fine with that... these are full on user, beat the crap out of them, drop and run over blades... not a prissy only cuts paper and sits in the safe or at home kind of tool.... so no worries if anyone says "pass"... just don't want anyone to be disappointed.... happy to make one for you that is perfection... that will take a few months at about 10 times the cost ;)

Have a great weekend...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bully

Attached Files:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7