So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Just purchased a new BOL.Plenty of land,water,woods, and very few people![woot]

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Awesome Sapper John

3. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

I've got my recent order from Rothco coming today or tomorrow. We bought some boots and bags. I got a police tactical bag for my van. It happened to have the type of pockets I was looking for. Somehow, my husband gets wholesale prices from them, maybe because we have a business and we get our uniforms from there? I don't know.

Anyway, they just started carrying Wise Foods and we can get them wholesale. I looked at the price and I can save $150 off one of their buckets. Worth checking into. It's www.rothco.com and they are NY based military supplies. Great stuff, knives, clothing, military bags and first aid kits, MRE's and more.

4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Lots and lots of turkey! With turkey on sale we picked up several extra. I cut off the legs and wings to vac seal, then run the rest through the meat grinder to make 1 pound bags of ground turkey. The carcasses are boiling in the stock pot now to make turkey stock, which I'll can up this evening. Gonna check Wed night and see if they do a fire sale on them (sometimes they do) and if so we'll get a few more.

tacmotusn likes this.
  5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

ok i need some help here .. Im in Mexico for atleast the next 3 weeks...
    What can i pick up over the counter as far as pharmacy products ...that i cant get in the states ...
    Or does anyone have any experience on what i can get here cheaper than in the states...
    i can bring some larger things back on a barge if necessary but nothing redicilous...

Does anyone have anyexperience doing this ???
    I have all the Corona and Sol and everything of that nature undercontroll....

6. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

The problem is that transporting most of those substances into the US is a felony....and giving you advice on what or how would come uncomfortably close to violating the federal conspiracy statutes...

On this board (and others really) I think it behooves us to be aware of such things.

IndieMama likes this.
  7. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Rope is great to have espically poly rope cause it is very strong...
    However buying rope by the foot is a terrible idea {like getting it at home depot or something like that ...
    If you would like to buy rope buy it by the spool from "commercial dive" shops in LA... IT will be cheap and if shipping is alot message me and i will pick it up for you and mail it to you ... We wil work something out !!!!

8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

If you note, my cost on this sale was 5 cents a foot for 3/8 poly braid in 100 foot lengths, which are pretty handy to have on hand. What is your price per foot for the same on a spool of how many feet? Some how I just don't see how with coast to coast shipping (I am in Florida, but then we have dive shops also) you can come close to my price. 1100 feet for $55

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Brokor, that Amazon deal is for twisted poly rope, 100 foot at $14.95. rope is rope. right? .... wrong! Braid normally stronger than twist of same dia and same material. Also cost wise braided rope normally more expensive than twisted. Amazon $14.95 elligible for free shipping requires you buy 2 offers to get their deal. So 200 ft twisted 3/8 poly for right at $30 to your door. For $30 I could buy 600 ft Braided 3/8 poly rope at my local Tractor Supply. I prefer braided over twisted anytime as it is easier on the hands, and is stronger, even if it does normally cost more. When you can find it cheaper than same size same material twisted, it is one hell of a good deal. 5 cents a freakin foot is an awesome deal for 3/8 braided poly rope.
    here is an Amazon link to exactly what I bought at my local TS at a much reduced price.
    Crawford-Lehigh MFP8100 3/8-Inch-by-100-Foot Diamond Braid Poly Rope, Colors Vary - Amazon.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'll take your word for the strength. The thing I don't like about braided is the stretch, normally greater than twisted. One might also say it's more difficult to splice ---.

Normally, I prefer hemp for most of my rigging purposes, but I'll take manila or sisal if I can't get the real thing. There are times when there ain't no substitute for poly or nylon, I agree.

B, I bought a 1000 foot spool of 550 for (I think it was) 35 usd (or close to that) a year or so ago. Ya gotta look around to find the deals. IIRC it was from CTD.

Brokor likes this.
  12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have a 160 length of 5/8 braided rope I used to drop trees in the direction I chose. without the rope I have been known to damage things within reach of the top of the tree when horizontal. Powerlines, fences, ornamental trees and shrubs, trucks, small buildings, etc etc. This Rope was used in tandem with my f150 4x4 that weighed in at 3800 pounds or so. In granny 1st gear and 4x4 I would put a strain on the selected tree after putting a bowline noose around the tree at a height of 30 to 40 foot up. The strain was attained by taking up the slack then goosing it and moving forward until pulled to all stop with wheels starting to spin. Then I would lock down on all brakes and friend would chock the rear wheels. You could walk that freakin rope. My trees then fell in the direction I desired. I couldn't break that rope.

STANGF150 likes this.
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Tac, the rope you linked is only $9.99 at my local Lowes store, with no shipping, every day. Problem is is it garbage rope. My boss buys it for tiedown ropes for our trucks, and ropes for overhead doors. It is a sleeve over strands, and breaks easily. It's working load is only 244# when new! Do not trust it for anything that matters. Shop Lehigh 3/8" x 100' Multicolor Poly Rope at Lowes.com

I buy this stuff, when I need a real rope.
    Shop Lehigh 7/16" x 100' White Solid Braid Pro-Grade Rope at Lowes.com

14. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

yes you got a good deal my freind ... I guess i was assuming you found this on sale...
    what i was saying is if you are looking for a good deal on rope all the time ... commercial dive shops are the way to go...

Also when polly rope is bought from places like hardware stores and such the rope quality is shit ...
    like you ties a bolland in it and drop it on the ground and it comes untied...

Just trying to help ya out!!!

15. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

new CRKT Pocket Knife to try out, & a Local Gun/Pawn Shop I heard from a Truck Driver Weds that he had devilvered A LOT of .22LR to. So went by there & picked up 8 bricks from their Small Business Saturday Sale :)

16. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I used to use lots of braided poly propylene rope. Haven't purchased in the last year but I bought probably 20,000 feet from U-line and an other 30,000 from some other supplier I don't recall. Mine was mostly 1/4 inch dia and was something like 35-40 bucks per thousand as I vaguely recall but I think there were some quantity discounts. U-line's quality was just fine.

AT

17. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

pretty cool...
    thanks for the pictures ...

rulesss the doest seem like the type of place i would meet people worried about rules

18. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Tac, I use two spud bars to make an earth anchor, then use come-alongs for the same purpose. Some trees do not even need to be cut down, I simply pull them over as I cut the surface roots.

19. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

on a job in mexico and scored 3 FREE mora of SWeden knives and all the free soap and shampoo i can use ...

Also the couldnt find and bouys so the are using brand new JERY CANS so i guarantee i get some of them .!!!
    And possibly some free diesel fuel and tote tanks from the demobe

20. hedger

hedger Monkey+

So how did you manage the 3 FREE more knives? Sounds pretty sweet to me.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner