So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Sporting Goods Section, near Camping Supplies

2. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i scored a bow saw for 2 bucks and 2 canteens with stainless cups and belt holsters for 3 bucks for both ....

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It's usually OPSec for me but over the next 2 days it's going to be fill the vehicles, the drum and jerry cans to the tune of 115+ USG of stablized Unleaded Fuel.

The election is coming and win or lose, at least half the country is going to be pissed.

4. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Lots of Mountain House freeze dried stuff. Readymaderesources.com has it 25-33% off plus free shipping which makes this as good of price as I have found. Only a couple more days on their sale.

Couldn't find the emergency goods at Walmart posted a few days ago but it is available at Walmart.com with free shipping if you order like 45-50 bucks worth. Got a few fried dried food stuffs from wallyworld.

AT

5. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

141 (912 x 684).

Evil, VisuTrac and oth47 like this.
  6. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

2 Coleman lanterns,a Coleman Hot Plate stove,supposedly from 1945,and some blue enamelware.And a sterling silver compote for free.

7. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

In the Klamath Falls, Oregon store, it's on a set of shelves in the back near the butter and margarine cooler.

8. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

Over the last few weeks i bought a 12v RV style pump for water backup. I have a spring that feeds my house but not enough pressure to pressurize my entire house.

Shurflo Pumps - The Classic 2088 12V on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

I just plumed in a couple valves. Not i can close 1 valve and open 2. It will pump the system up to 45psi then turn off until pressure drops. Just connect the leads to a battery and instant water pressure.

Also picked up a 5500 watt coleman generator. A guy at church gave it to me as he bought a bigger one and this one needs a carb rebuilt. I plan to get a trifuel kit for it so i can run my house off it.

Jason

9. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

New Trent 120D battery backup w/ dual USB output. This baby should run my phone for a week, easily. Charged it last night & am going to test it to see how long it works in the real world.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. Wonder if it'll run a hand held radio --

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is a 12 AmpHour Battery @ 5Vdc, so likely it will run, and charge, one of the Bofeng Vhf/Uhf Mini Handhelds, that have a USB Charging Cord, for a significant amount of time.... The math on that could be worked out pretty easily, I would imagine....

12. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

tri fuel ??? propane gas and diesel ???? or is diesel not included....

I just fried the motor on my genei be sure to check the oil!!!!!!!!!!!

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

TriFuel in Gensets mean Natural Gas, Propane, and Gasoline..... It does NOT mean Diesel....

14. Evil

Evil A rock n roll girl loving life!

This was a good week: The swap meet netted me an external frame BOB for my hubby (he is still rolling his eyes at me over all this) $25 and 5 stainless steel water bottles $3. I ordered a rope chain saw, and a flint fire starter (need to learn how to use it) they came in. We pulled the rest of the summer harvest in so I pressure canned 3 qts Pasta sauce and 3 qts ham veggie soup. 5# corn meal froze, & sealed. 3 qts bread crumbs and panko crumbs, froze & sealed. I pulled all the gas cans out, disposed of old gas & cleaned them up. Waiting on gas to drop :lol: before start to fill them. Cleaned up 5, 5 gallon water bottles to fill also (any reason I can't use my own kitchen water to fill these?).
    It's not putting away but I got the herbs and fruit trees into the new greenhouse for the winter. As I've said before I travel a lot so when I get home it's a mad dash to get things done as I have the time. I have another 2 weeks before I am off again...so next week should be another good week! I hope to have all 3 cars emergency kits started by next week.

15. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Waiting on gas to drop before start to fill them. Cleaned up 5, 5 gallon water bottles to fill also (any reason I can't use my own kitchen water to fill these?).

I find the phone app and website Gas Buddy to be very handy. Gas in my town has dropped to $2.97. Haven't seen sub 3 bucks for probably a year or more (barring point discounts).

I have stored tap water for months and months and it was fine. If the container is full and well sealed the chlorine won't totally outgas. It continues to function as a biocide keeping the itty bitty bugs at bay. I accidentally left a camelback filled with tap water for a year on the shelf. It smelled fresh and didn't taste bad (I didn't swallow it. Didn't inhale either ;-) Years ago had a milk jug with well water in my car, it was turning green inside 4 weeks. So I'm thinking chlorinated tap water would be a good thing, but I'm just thinkin....

AT

Evil likes this.
  16. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

a few drops o bleach will make water last a long time, keep them out of the sun, not only bad for building bacteria but uv degrades the plastic. My camelbacks have sat for months I rinse and airdry overnight, never had an issue.
    Loaned a pack to a friend for elk hunting decided to let her keep it, so I set up another took me all of 30 minutes to set another minimum ghb from stuff in home.

Evil likes this.
  17. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

28 free 2 gallon buckets from a local ice cream and sammich shop. I asked today hoping to score one or two, only to find out they'd been stacking them in the back in case anyone ever asked. I like the smaller buckets, they fit under my bed. :D

tulianr likes this.
  18. Turtle

Turtle Monkey+

I bought a really nice axe...we don't have a wood stove but i can collect scraps from nearby construction sites,standing dead wood in the trees behind our house and maybe buy a cord of wood for cooking with in my volcano stove

19. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

3 bales of 36 double rolls each toilet paper.
    1 bale with 12 rolls paper towels.
    1 case of Kleenex.
    1 case Snake Pit porter beer. Well, I didn't put it all away this week, give me another week or two please.

AT

Evil likes this.
  20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

What did I put away this week? Nothing. Not a thing. Hrm, let me see...maybe that isn't entirely true.

A new motherboard, ram, power supply for the PC.

I was cleaning my video card when I replaced a SPDIF cable, crossing the wire terminals. After a minute of running, the board was smoking and melting. Fun times, for sure. It was a 4 or 5 year old computer, so upgrading it is a good idea anyway. I can still use my quad core processor and video card, as well as my hard drive, cpu fan, wiring, and case. With this purchase, I get the ability to use upgraded ram --definitely worth the small investment.

For less than $150 I am still in the game with a great computer. A little hands-on never hurt anyone.

tacmotusn likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner