So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. tenderfoot

tenderfoot Monkey+

My meager additions were another case of H2O, and 8 more cans of veggies. Babysteps... babysteps, with goals in mind.

Tango

2. dystopia

dystopia Monkey+

24 bottles mgd

larryinalabama and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Just ordered 175 en bloc clips for an M1 Garand!

Ok, maybe I'm just a hoarder because I don't even own a Garand.

But i did hear scuttle butt that they may actually get to import 86k Garands from South Korea. Crossing fingers that I may someday.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Don't you mean you ordered 175 OPSEC LoL

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That's 1900 OPSEC of OPSEC. Ample for starters.

6. VisuTrac

LOL, yeah probably.

But it was more as an advisory for anyone that has a garand and is planning on that being their MBR/zombie killer.

When you are shooting zombies, you might not be able to go back and pick up those clips.

for now, those are just going to be great barter item for those folks that wind up having single shot garands.

YMMV

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

One way to get more of those OPSECs is to get some milsurp OPSEC 168s and use them up. ('Swat I (would) do if I had an OPSEC.)

I've not heard that the import ban on M1s from South Korea was lifted. I know there were a few letters written, haven't heard of action. In the meantime, I think the CMP still has some.

8. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Persistent baby steps have a pleasant way of growing into a decent and well thought out stash of prudent preparations. Don't be intimidated by seeing/hearing about anybody else buying pallet loads when all you can manage are a grocery bag or two once in a while.

You are on the right track!

9. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Hedger gave us some great advice. It is daunting to think how much things cost to be "prepared" but if you buy an extra bag/box/can now and then your pantry/storage will slowly grow....but start and continue every trip to the store/flea market/discount outlet. It is a mindset that needs nurturing so you see uses for everything. Just picked up four gallon jars/lids from my bud's resturant. Have rice, pasta, and more beans ready to go into them and more milk crates to set them in. I have a 1/4" tube attached to my Argon tank and "shoot" them full. That way, no bugs or moisture but I still toss in a silicon packet. I place a note pad under the packet to avoid direct contact with the food. You can rent a CO2 tank from a party rental store and it will purge the Oxygen from your containers if you cannot use Nitrogen or Argon. All those gasses are completely dry and that is a good thing--lol.

10. strunk

strunk Monkey+

More mylar bags, 1g & 5g sizes, with O2 absorbers in preparation for bulk food delivery.

11. thermax

thermax Monkey+

Advice

I picked up a couple of crank lights and a crank radio for our bug out bags. I see allot of videos on you tube about bug out bags and it seems no one is wrapping their electronics, radios,gps, etc in foil in case of an EMP, I would think an EMP could be a real reason for buging out and protecting these items would smart.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My Question is: What makes you think that JUST Wrapping your Electronics up in Aluminum Foil, will protect them from an EMP Burst?

KAS likes this.
  13. thermax

thermax Monkey+

Good question, I needed some aluminum foil in the bag so I decided why not take a chance that it may work and wrap it around my electronics. Hope I never find out if it works or not.

14. VisuTrac

not so much as put away but made a plan

The Missus and I went to Gordon Food Service today to scope out prices, packaging and inventory.

GFS it typically a supply house for restaurants, community centers and businesses that feed a lot of people at a time.

They carry items in bulk. Nary a package under 5# unless it's spices.

Items of interest were
    25# bags of pastas, beans, lentils
    50# bags of Rice and Flour
    50# bags of Salt and Sugar
    2# containers of jerk spice, pepper, taco, celery/onion/garlic salts, others herbs and spices.
    gallons of Oils (olive,coconut,peanut,corn, sunflower)
    gallon jars of pickles, olives
    vinegars (malt,red,balsamic)
    #10 cans of fruit,veg,soup,beans etc.

Basically anything you would need to feed a congregation at a church picnic.

If you have a GFS, Sysco or Costco in your neighborhood. You might want to take a walk through.

Gator 45/70 and Sapper John like this.
  15. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

I PUT AWAY THE FATMAX JUST LIKE CHELLOVECK SAID!!![​IMG]

16. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I been putting away Cold & Sinus meds among others. Just not stockpiling them, I been taking them. My sinuses trying to murder me again but trying the Hardest they ever have!!

17. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

They had a good sale on canned goods at the giant eagle.

18. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Ive been concentrating on "bargins" and loading up on good deals only.
    I finally went to Aldi in the city and plan to take at least 100$v for canned goods next time I go.

19. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Not saying that I bought any of those canned good. Wouldn't want to be considered a food hoarder.

oth47 likes this.
  20. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Excellent! I think this will prove to be a decision that you will look back at as one of your better investments.

I grow increasingly concerned that after Obama's successor is inaugurated, that as the economy finally begins to improve, we will experience a high rate of inflation. Today's prices are going to look mighty cheap compared to that time period.

Please keep it up and make it a habit, if you can.

CANDY fISHER and larryinalabama like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner