So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Today,2 flats of canned goods and 2 cans of coffee.

2. Pixie_moon83

Pixie_moon83 Monkey+

today?

coffee filters

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

2 cases of bar soap, 2 gallons of bleach, 5 quarts parmalat milk, 4 pair trigger finger mittens, 4 pair gloves, a new spotting scope, 4 new heavy weight flannel shirts. and a partridge in a pear tree.......[winkthumb]

4. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Dehydrated Food

2 #10 Cans of Pinto Beans
    3 #10 Cans of White Rice
    2 #10 Cans of Quick Oats
    2 #10 Cans of Apple Slices

Also picked up some lightweight plastic trowels for the Bug-out Bags.

FYI, I read on another blog that the USA economy seems to be tracking 18-24 months behind Europe. Would you agree or disagree with that?

5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Oh gee....

We scored a bunch of FDA approved buckets from a local grocery store. We received 10 free and paid $2 for one from Wal-Mart. Now that I know where to get them for free.....

I suppose Gamma Lids are on the radar in the near future.

Scored a heavy duty cast grain grinder at the flea market for $35- near new. All the lighter ones online were running about that price and this one is much better built.

I bought a excellent condition Model 25. Now I need moon clips. I was going to pick up a Colt Trooper in .357, but I saw this and wanted it more. I own both .357s and .45ACPs, so it really came down to Colt v. Smith. Smith wins in my eyes.

I have bought and left more vices in different states than any other tool. Mostly because I buy cheap and leave them mounted at whoever's house I was using it at. I bought a small Ace one when I came back to AZ. It's a light duty, but a nice model. Today I found a heavier duty Craftsman for $20. Same size runs upwards of $100 at the store. Needs a set of jaws, but its usable as is and is still a heck of a deal even if I replace the jaws.

I also shot a deer a couple weeks ago. Only 1 a year here in AZ, so it won't last long.

I am also putting away valuable knowledge at making usable leather. The skin is dried and scraped. It needs some neat's foot oil and a bit of abrading to soften it up. Hopefully, a possibles pouch on the other side of this experience.

I put away a leather stitcher... bought it for the above project. Of course, Ace had all sorts of cool needles for it on sale... bought all they had. It should be useful in the future.

We started putting away some lighting items. Lamp oil, wicks, and scored a nice Monarch lantern. We paid about $20. Turns out it's about 100 years old and worth far more. It's in excellent condition. With an online tutorial, we found a way to clean em' up with Grandma's Molasses. It's going well so far. We also found an oil lamp bottom (needs globe) at the post thrift shop for $6. If I can get a globe at Ace for around $4, that means I've save $2 from the price of a new one.

I think ferro rods are on the radar soon too. Enough to last a lifetime. Some larger ones for home use. Enough smaller ones for everyone to have their own and a few extras for trade/back ups.

6. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

10 lbs flour,2 cans coffee,3 12pks tp and 12 cans of evaporated milk.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Those are some really good finds, AL. I think CTD or SMG are selling leather awls as well. I was gonna pick one up.

I ended up acquiring a bunch of Condor tactical equipment to test out. I am going all multicam, so this should be fun. Of course, I already have a set of X-Camo...but multicam is the current MBU.

Got A G.I. pick for the backpack fro a local shop for $15 -found them recently on SMG for about that price. Great picks by the way, not easy to find: New Gi U.S.-Style Pick Mattock / Cover, O.D., Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide

Got a Great Northern camp stove to test out: Great Northern Camp Stove, Military Surplus, Major Surplus at Sportsman's Guide

Currently picking up all kinds of brass since the prices are stabilizing a bit.

8. vja4Him

vja4Him Monkey+

Don't have much to spend, but I picked up a bunch more food bars at Wal-Mart, tuna fish, Germ-X (small size for backpacking, and also can refill from the large containers), bandaids, sports tape, self-adhering elastic bandage, another large candle.

We now have enough food bars, that we (myself and my son) could survive for a month if all we had to eat was food bars!

9. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Bought a bag of Baking Soda at Costco and put into quart jars; I figure it should last a longer time in a sealed container than in the plastic bag it came in. Also, the glass jars should keep outside odors at bay better than plastic containers.

Found some interesting reading about storage in the link below, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of useful data.
    Shelf life of baking soda

Other reading indicates: it must be kept dry (seems obvious), it reacts with moisture in the air (humidity), it reacts readily with acid or base pH to neutralize. It chemically reacts with things in the air that cause odor.

10. sayety

sayety Monkey+

50# of salt, 1000 rounds of hollow points for the Glock.

Also aquired a 3.5'' 870 (turkey gun) from the father-in-law. I told him i was thinking of picking one up he came back from his cabinet with it and handed it to me....He said long term loan and that it justified to my mother-in-law his new beretta. i am guessing it is extreamly long term loan.

11. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

I got me a Ruger 22/45 to add to the collection and a few hundred rounds of 22 and 7.62x39, and some 22 hornet to feed my M6., new neck sizing 30-06 dies and binocs.
    Soon will be entering the world of shotgun reloading.

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Started that myself early this year. Get a MEC press, Lyman's 5th Ed of shotshell reloading manual, and read, read, read, before the first hull gets the first grain of powder. It isn't rocket science, but it has some built in hazards you really would like to avoid.

The MEC 600Jr is about idiot proof, it won't let you fup uck unless you are doing something really odd when you switch off your mind.

STANGF150 likes this.
  13. happyhunter42

happyhunter42 Monkey+++

Added another 100 pounds of deer meat to the freezer, bought 20 lbs of sugar and 15 lbs of flour.

14. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

ghrit,
    yes i reload for rifle and pistol, so im not too worried. I have heard good things about the MEC reloaders. I am suprised how inexpencive they are. just picked up a m6 and the cost of .410 ammo is lame.

15. CoolBrezze

CoolBrezze Monkey+

200 rounds 9mm
    2 cases water
    6cases of ramen

thats just this week we had ashort pay week cause of our fridged weather

16. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Coleman fuel,sterno,22 lr and .410 shotgun shells..so far..

17. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

24 LB dry navy beans, 2 buckets 5 gallons each, 120 LB total local honey.

18. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

2000 rounds 9mm ammo
    100 pounds pintos
    100 pounds rice
    150 000 Buck shot shells
    60 packs beef jerky (home made)
    30 2 person meal packs

19. sayety

sayety Monkey+

50# of rice, 70# or so of canned venison and a few food safe buckets for storage and/or wine making.

20. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

More rice and dehydrated whole egg powder for long term storage plus replaced canned items that were used.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner