So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Butchered 2 hogs ,will sugar cure 2 hams and smoke most of the rest !!!!

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Can you put up a tutorial on the sugar cure? And on your smoking arrangements?

TIA.

STANGF150 likes this.
  3. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

LOL ,I do the butchering and my son-in -law does the sugar cure ,as far as the smoking goes I use a LP smoker that I changed over to NG .It will do about 100# of meat at a time with 4 trays in use. We go out and gather different types of wood (hickory,maple,oak) for the flavors we want,usually before we smoke the meat we rub it with curing salt and let it sit in the fridge over night. We've done whole turkeys and chickens like this and it keeps for sometime when the weather is cool. I'll ask my son-in-law just what he does with the sugar cure and get back to ya. Hope this helps !!

4. adamk222

adamk222 Monkey+

some more water downloaded alot of pdf files and tuna /spam working on meat atm

5. vja4Him

vja4Him Monkey+

Bought four 5LB bags of rice (on sale at Cost Less, for $1.98/5LB), and three more boxes of food bars.

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

4 cans of ham (1lb ea.), 6 cans of salmon (aprox 1lb ea), received my order of 27 lb Cocoa Powder in 8 oz cans and stowed them in 5 gallon buckets 18 cans to a bucket, obtained 10 more 5 gallon buckets and lids with seals.

7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I bought some books

I bought 2 Volumes of the Encyclopaedia Britannica’s Great Books of The Western World:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
    Volume 16: Which comprises; The Almagest by Ptolemy, On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres, By Nicolaus Copernicus, and Epitome of Copernican Astronomy: IV and V. The Harmonies of the World: V, by Johannes Keppler.

Volume 37: Which comprises; The History of Tom Jones a Foundling by Henry Fielding.

Food for the mind is as important as food for the belly, and if I am to survive TEOTWAWKI, then I would like to save some vestiges of western civilisation with me, if only as a reminder of what has been lost.

I would particularly like to see that Johannes Keppler’s work, without which modern space exploration might have been unnecessarily delayed, survived, If only to ensure that it outlasts the “Holy See” which included it in its Index Librorum. There is no reason why a new Dark Age need be any longer than necessary, due to ignorance of the past.

8. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Not much this week,some tomato sauce,coffee and tuna..10lb flour,too.Chelloveck,I admire your reasoning about good literature.

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

In response to Chello, I must say that I am in transition between permanent residences and living in quite small temporary housing (a small RV). In climate controlled storage, I have my good furniture, and approx. 80 sealed boxes of hardback books. Some are what I would consider classic early american literature. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 are cookbooks (I love to cook), and the bulk of the rest are reference books of a how to, do it youself, or practical nature. After the SHTF if no experienced person can be found on an obscure needed skill, any informative books on that subject will be valuble in lieu of any other options.

10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Books are survival food too...for the brain

Thankyou, Oth......flash drives, memory sticks and laptops / notebooks are handy but good old fashioned books don't require electricity, and aren't susceptible to EMP. I have quite a library of survival literature, both fiction and non fiction. plus a collection of books on all sorts of subjects which may seem a little eccentric, but may be very valuable when times are hard.

On this we can be in hearty agreement. I have books by Twain, Melville, Crane, Hawthorne, Hemingway, Steinbeck, O'Henry and Vonnegut, among other American authors (hhhmm even have books by Zane Grey and L'Amour and Max Brand too)

11. Dusty308

Dusty308 Living between the lines

supplies this week

4 cans of tuna, 5 cans of pork and beans, 2 cases of water,gallon of vinegar,
    2 cans of fruit, box of gauze, large container petroleum jelly, large bottle of peroxide, 3 NASA thermal blankets, 1 survival book, added new articles to my printed library, vegetable seeds, matches, batteries, and disassembled my pistol, cleaned and oiled it by myself. ( via a YouTube video)
    Dusty[tng2]

12. wildone_uk

wildone_uk Monkey+

48 tins of beans, 10lb flour,20 tins of toms, toilet paper 50 rolls,from office canteen shuting down and best of all it came free,its a start

13. usmcrmh

usmcrmh Monkey+

Pack of 30 AAs (on sale). Camelback for the wife and thinking about ordering another spool of 550 chord.

14. leswill

leswill Monkey+

newby here,, but i ordered an eberlestock 'gunslinger'' BOB, to use in case i had to walk home from work, for one reason or another. this will stay in the toolbox of my truck, well stocked, of course. also i hit the local grocery stores, and bought a bunch of the del monte fresh canned vegetables for 2/$1.00

15. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Gadget Master

Coffe as well is expected to go up between 40% and 70% in the next few months. We went out and bought 10 3lb. cans within a week and ad a couple of cans weekly when we do our grocery shopping.

16. happyhunter42

happyhunter42 Monkey+++

Added about 70 pounds of venison to the freezer. Bought 2 shank portion hams, 1 to put in the freezer and 1 for thanksgiving.

17. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Slack week,5 pack of .410s with 3 000 buckshot,25 .410s #6 shot.But! the week ain't over yet..

18. helmetmike

helmetmike Monkey+

Bought 4 more mags for the Glock and ordered 8 cases of Mountain House for the long term storeage locker. Started cleaning out the old barn to make more room to organize and store tool and materials.

19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

*added to the NSA database*

Have a nice day.

20. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Monkey+

I added 6 more cans of tuna, 4 cans of vegetables, 2 boxes of strike anywhere matches and a gallon of bleach.

Sharpshooter

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner