So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. cornmonkey

cornmonkey Monkey+

Apples abundant here now, end of the matter's juiced the rest of them. Have a half bushel of old fashion candied apples to work up tonight, makes the best dang apple pie in the world. I likeum pocket pies. I love this time of the year.

2. happyhunter42

happyhunter42 Monkey+++

The only thing I put away this week was a half case of Coors and a bag of pork rinds.[beer] Oh, I guess I could add the 2 boxes of 7.62x59r that I bought to replace the rounds shot 2 weeks ago at the range. Also my wife brought home 4- 5 gal. pickle buckets from work. I really like those buckets except for the smell, it takes about 3 weeks for it to go away.[yukface]

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

LOL [rofllmao] Don't you hate that?

I picked up a brand new (old, original) army pick with its case. I found it at the local gun shop, on the shelf of old militaria kit brought in and pawned by locals. The handle slides out and stores with the pick head in the case, and has the old web belt style attachment. I will have to do a quick review of it. It's very lightweight. Absolutely pristine, never used. b::

4. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I have Yugoslav army folding shovel that can transform to pick, and also has one edge very sharp, and other edge serrated...folds in a belt carry pouch...very nice, durable and functional. Used it in the army and never had any issues with it...

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Finally took the plunge and bought a 16 quart Canner and two dozen pint Mason jars with Ball lids. Have several packs of spare lids, and a couple blocks of canning wax. Gonna try some veggie canning this holiday weekend.
    Been wanting to do this for awhile now.

Also have a 5X10 open utility trailer - make a possible BO easier, so I can haul the bike behind the van, and lots of other gear. I will eventually box the trailer in for better security and use as a mini-camper. Got some excellent ideas from the Teardrop&TinyTrailers forum site - I will ultimately have the "Jumbo Teardrop Toy-hauler".......

Buying into a Deer Hunting Lease property too, with a few buddies. If I'm lucky, I may see how 'canned venison' goes........ [drooling]

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

260 rds .30-06 in Garand clips
    1000 rds .30 carbine
    5000 rds. .22 LR
    1000 rds 12 ga. target loads
    two M1 Carbines

7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Found a real deal at a flea market. Dozens of rolls of sealed gauze, cold packs, open gauze, and even some slings--all for $3. Found another cake tin. I save popcorn and cake tins because they are vermin proof and don't look threatening like ammo cans.
    On a side note: I pick up picnic coolers for range bags. They look completely "innocent" and people don't usually steal picnic coolers like they do other bags.
    We nearly have our winter's wood supply stacked and still have three trees to go-next years supply.

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I am really liking this DDHammock (travel 2010 version). It is a little large, but since it can be used as a ground shelter, lean-to, or hammock and has a built in bug net, it's the shizzle. It is actually larger and heavier than my Halo 3 sleeping bag (which really isn't much larger than a couple of G.I. canteens packed), but it is worth it.

I put a few cans of chicken away (all natural) and another dozen cans of sardines, also a few bags of dried fruit medley.

9. hsapientia

hsapientia Monkey++

-06, Great ideas you have, the popcorn tins, coolers for storage! So where is the Thread you're gonna start with this type of thinking? Major interest to me and I'm a pretty common joe... Or did I miss such a thread/topic... suggestions? thanxs for the tip friend...

10. Ytka

Ytka Monkey+

2 15 round boxes of buckshot, canned food, and a 10lb bag of dried beans.

11. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I just picked up an older coleman campstove. The kind that runs on white gas or unleaded fuel. Been looking for a good used one for some time now, finally found one ;)

$40 FRN

This is a back-up to another coleman stove I have that is propane fueled.

Just replaced the pump & and 'added' the gasket on the fuel cap so it will hold pressure. Works like a charm. Found out that this model was made between '65 & '69 - Made in the good ol' US of A!!!
    CampStove.

12. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Love This Thread!!

I just want to say that this thread is addictive and that I'm getting a lot from it.

Lots of great ideas and I especially appreciate the wide variety of perspectives.

Thanks to all; I'll be contributing more as time passes.

13. testhop

testhop Monkey+

4 lbs pasta
    20 lbs suger
    2 12 ozs jars TASTER CHOISE COFFEE (i think it is the best)
    3 lbs salt

14. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

Still doing more reading, researching, and learning then anything else ...
    Did snag a used tent, got a few cans of extra food, some candles, and been working on building up my supply of clothes for the kiddos to grow into as well as getting my winter wardrobe in better shape just in case.

~R

15. flavapor

flavapor Monkey+

I bought some mask filters, not gas masks, but the hospital looking type that are for b/c but not n. I also bought some nukepills. Hope to never need them. I always have canned goods and rotate them, just because we live in florida, semi rural area and the power goes out when the wind blows around here. During the 2004 hurricane season we had no power for a week, got it back for one day than the next hurricane hit and we lost it for another 5 days.

16. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

6 buckets with lids (5 gallon), 2.5 gallons canola oil, 6 liters virgin olive oil, 6 lb angel hair pasta, 50 lbs pinto beans, case 24 cans rotel tomatoes with green chiles, 4 books on recipes and making do in the great depression circa 1930, one mennonite cookbook (canning and food storage info as well). I didn't find the rice I was looking for, but will get it next week.

17. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Monkey++

OK guys ... don't laugh but I caught my favorite merlot on sale at the liquor store yesterday. Now you can count the number of times the hubby and I "partake" in a year on one hand but I just couldn't help myself ... I bought a case ...

Figure I am good for about 2 years now ...

Oh and bullets ... we reload so I replenished our backstock of 9mm because we have been shooting more here lately.

18. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You're my kinda gal BadgeBunny - Merlot and Bullets. You can come visit CT anytime b::

19. justwoody1

justwoody1 Monkey+

Got about six packs of cigarette tobacco stash this week. Might be good for trading. Still need more.

20. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Liked your tag

A friend of mine likes to say, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

I noticed that while we have plenty of flashlights, we can go a looong time between using them. That can mean picking up a flashlight with a weak or dead battery. So, I have replaced the regular batteries with Lithium (a bit more expensive) batteries. Also, in case you were not aware, lithium batteries have a way longer (7 year) shelf life and they are not affected by very cold weather the way regular batteries are.

If you absolutely have to have that flashlight be ready to go, think about using lithium batteries.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner