So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Books!
    4 "new" ones
    Old school, new to me, from off ebay.

2. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

4-day defensive handgun course at Front Sight (last weekend). I didn't know how much I didn't know.

3. Akheloce

Akheloce Monkey++

250 rds .223
    5 gal wine
    55 gal gas
    solar battery charger/maintainer
    2 sawmill blades

4. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

25 single-use pads saturated with Providone iodine solution, 20 packets of Java Juice and a baseball cap with 2 built-in LED lights from http://www.gofastandlight.com/default.asp . The cap gives plenty of light for walking in the dark.

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Changed out my hurricane storage water. That time of the year again....

Loaded 200 rounds of .308Win. The first hundred are reformed new .243Win cases, the other hundred brand new .308Win cases. 150 grain Hornady FMJ-BT loaded to .30-40 pressure levels, to be safe in my old M1916 Spanish Guardia Civil carbine.

Stocked up on miscellaneous canned goods, and TP.

Going thru my BOB's and changing out old stuff, added new things, configuring for the summer season.

Bought another ten gallons of gas for storage - just after the first recent jump. Glad I did - it went up another 12 cents a gallon the day after! Sheesh...... :oops:

Got a new set of tires for my KLR bike from my riding buddy - turns out he doesn't like the tires that I prefer...... :D

6. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

GSI nesting camp cookware. I'm now looking for a nice sized tin to make a parafin/cardboard stove that will fit inside.

7. Gravy

Gravy Consfearacy

Yeah baby! Picked-up a used Kel-Tec PLR-16 yesterday for $500. Been looking for one new or used for over 6 months now.
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/plr16.htm
    It came with a compact forend and I ordered a sling and flash suppressor. After cleaning it last night, I don't think it had ever been fired. Not a scratch on it and the grime wasn't powder but more like the manufacturing residue that comes from the plant.

Added a Kahr-Arms PM9 two weeks ago - nice concealable weapon.
    http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html
    Also enrolled in conceal carry permit class.
    Question for everyone: I live in a state that does not allow concealed weapons (I thought the training would be worth-while and maybe not a bad idea to have the permit since it's good in other states). I'm kind-of balking over the requirement to submit fingerprints to a government agency. Not that I have any skeletons in my closet, I just don't see the need to get on a radar when I'm currently completely off. No one has my fingerprints. Would you rather have the permit and give your autograph to the government, or forget the permit and keep your fingers to yourself?

Picked-up 2-5g. drums of kerosene. The Homie Depot had it 50% off for $27 when it was selling for over $50 during the winter. Call around to find this deal - not all the stores still have Kerosene.

1 case of new 5.56mm.

FYI, SafeCastle is going to be selling Mountain House foods at 25% off starting May 23rd:
    http://safecastleroyal.com/index.html
    (scroll down to find the add)

Been putting a lot of time in on a roof-top garden. I have a flat roof over an addition on the house that is about 28'x14'. Bought some things called EarthBoxes to plant in, covered the roof with a tarp (keep berries and veggies from sitting directly on the rubber roof) and converted one of my emergency 55g water drums to catch rainwater to hose on the plants. The nice things about being on the roof is that there are few insects, no critters (except birds), longer sun exposure (less shade than on ground), and in a SHTF situation, no thieves. I also built a filter for the rainwater in case I ever needed to drink it (as a pre-filter ahead of a Berkey). This new project is a big step towards food and water self-sufficiency.

8. Gravy

Gravy Consfearacy

Yeah baby! Picked-up a used Kel-Tec PLR-16 yesterday for $500. [gun2]
    Been looking for one new or used for over 6 months now.
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/plr16.htm
    It came with a compact forend and I ordered a sling and flash suppressor. After cleaning it last night, I don't think it had ever been fired. Not a scratch on it and the grime wasn't powder but more like the manufacturing residue that comes from the plant.

Added a Kahr-Arms PM9 two weeks ago - nice concealable weapon.
    http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html
    Also enrolled in conceal carry permit class.
    Question for everyone: I live in a state that does not allow concealed weapons (I thought the training would be worth-while and maybe not a bad idea to have the permit since it's good in other states). I'm kind-of balking over the requirement to submit fingerprints to a government agency. Not that I have any skeletons in my closet, I just don't see the need to get on a radar when I'm currently completely off. No one has my fingerprints. Would you rather have the permit and give your autograph to the government, or forget the permit and keep your fingers to yourself?

Picked-up 2-5g. drums of kerosene. The Homie Depot had it 50% off for $27 when it was selling for over $50 during the winter. Call around to find this deal - not all the stores still have Kerosene.

1 case of new 5.56mm.

FYI, SafeCastle is going to be selling Mountain House foods at 25% off starting May 23rd:
    http://safecastleroyal.com/index.html
    (scroll down to find the add)

Been putting a lot of time in on a roof-top garden. I have a flat roof over an addition on the house that is about 28'x14'. Bought some things called EarthBoxes to plant in, covered the roof with a tarp (keep berries and veggies from sitting directly on the rubber roof) and converted one of my emergency 55g water drums to catch rainwater to hose on the plants. The nice things about being on the roof is that there are few insects, no critters (except birds), longer sun exposure (less shade than on ground), and in a SHTF situation, no thieves. I also built a filter for the rainwater in case I ever needed to drink it (as a pre-filter ahead of a Berkey). This new project is a big step towards food and water self-sufficiency.

9. ssonb

ssonb Confederate American

Trying to get the work bench and cabinets put together in the shop and get my act together and get a well drilled.I can get the well drilled for free but I need to collect all of the pipe,grout, screen tip,concrete,pump.....ect ect... Right now I dont understand all I know about this subject....Bought a cupla cots fer a little better sleepin, a few cases of soups,beans and koolaid drink mixes oh and four 525 boxes of rem 22 ammo. loaded 100 .45 LC.

10. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

This is some of what I have added since I posted last. I have already boxed some of the stuff up so I could not take a photo of it.
    Pallet trailer photo how to 026.

11. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

Sorry it has been a slow week for me in the way of preps, I know how many count on me to do there prepping for them. I will try not to let them down next time.
    Pallet trailer photo how to.

12. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

This week I got:

1000 rounds of .30 Carbine (2000 more on backorder)
    500 rounds of 9X18 Makarov
    1 25 round magazine for Ruger 10/22
    12 #10 cans from Mountain House
    40 lbs all purpose flour (stored in a bucket)
    25 lbs granulated sugar (stored in a bucket)
    50 lbs rice (stored in two buckets)
    A few more cans of food
    $19 face value silver coins
    100 water pouches (to keep in emergency car kits that I'm making for friends and family)
    6 3600 calorie energy bars (to go in the car kits)

I guess that's enough for this week... well, not enough, but I've gone over my budget... again!

13. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

Oh yeah, I forgot... also 30 rolls of toilet paper.

I don't usually buy as much stuff per week as I bought this week (it sucks to be poor). The 1000 rounds of .30 Carbine I count this week since that's when I got them, even though I ordered them weeks ago and they were on backorder.

14. Seawolf1090

Fairly light week so far...

Two big multipacks of TP.
    20 pounds of rice.
    5 pounds Lentils.
    5 pounds Split Peas.
    Two cans of Nido powdered milk.
    A bunch of cans of veggies (Sweet corn, green peas and Veg-All), as well as Blackeye Peas and Diced tomatoes.
    100 pieces of new .243Win brass (converted it to .308Win, not available locally).

Eyeing a 3000/3200W gennie.......

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

5000 .177 pellets. That can swinging on a string off a tree in the back yard will now suffer greatly. (How I love reactive targets. Now where is that feral cat?)

[ghrit]

16. Seawolf1090

Notice for Reloader Monkeys:
    Widener's has 8-pound jugs of British surplus Radway Green RG4895 rifle powder available for $109 (total for me in Florida after shipping and Hazmat is $141). It has the same burn rate as IMR4895. I will need to adjust my H4895 .308Win loads accordingly. Good deal - a few bucks cheaper than buying H4895 locally, IF it were still available!
    Laid in more TP.
    Looking longer term, I patrolled my buddy's hunting lease property with him, in case he doesn't come back one fine day - he wanted select folks to know where he could be found. Superb deer territory, in case of emergencies. Only with his permission of course. With another buddy having a hunting lease in another county, I may well buy into one or the other next year or so. Local woods would be too full of bubbas if TSHTF.

17. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

250rnd box of pmc .45acp (on the shelf at wally world! $81.00) another15rnds 00bk$9.97..small one handed bow-saw for the b.o.b.pack,

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

600 new mil-spec sandbags, 2- 10' x 20' garage type shelters, (emergency uses), 2 wood stoves with built-in sock, glove, and boot dryer rods.
    1-1957 8ft x 38 ft travel trailer (for free), as it was stripped clean....has a ceiling, a floor and walls! All I needed for storage and temp shelter....
    Now looking into the moving of some 12ft x 60 ft mobile homes, all complete, except stoves, refrigerators and furniture. (everything else is still there and in good condition: walls, floors, windows, doors, sinks, electrical, plumbing, toilets, tubs, and showers)
    All 8 were abandoned as they were sold many times years ago and the titles were "lost"....Now I'm awaiting a class 1 state inspection to re-title, or at least issued 3 day permits for moving.
    I have 4 in mind, and already have a driver to pickup and deliver them for $50 plus fuel (about $150.00 each!) to my land, 158 miles north.
    4-'TP-25' Czech military field phones....(shocking, if you touch the crank handle and have your hand in the wrong place!) runs on 1 d cell battery, but better on 4.5-6 volts dc.
    I plan on outfitting each with 4 rechargeable D cell batteries and a small solar panel battery charger to keep them at peak.

19. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, not much recently. But I did find that a local Walmart had a "Gunsmith Screwdriver Set" on clearance for $5.00, regular price $9.98. So I picked it up. It rang up for $4.00 at the register, woohoo!

This kit has 4 "parallel" bits in addition to the usual screwdriver, phillips, torx, etx.

For $4.00, can't really go wrong, and you can never have enough screwdrivers laying around!

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Well....
    As I figure I can't go wrong...
    ( yeah, like that's worked well for me in the past as well!)
    Anywhoooo...
    I went outside my 'safety net...'
    Wayyyyy outside of it.....!
    I just may fall into a crevasse!
    Since I am on a limited income and it can be hard to make decent purchases...in any real amout anyway.....
    I decided to begin an account wirth "Sportsman's Guide..."
    I opted for the 4 payment plan, to 'hedge my bets' as it were!
    Worse case scenario:
    I pay a lot of my meager income for the next 4 months.....
    Best case scenario:
    The whole enchilalda collapses and I'll be "gone with the Schwinn"!
    So, being a "realist" has it's GOOD moments!
    I just doubled up and have 2 seperate orders running simultaneoulsy...
    One for $900.00 (as mentioned in my above post) and one for $1,500.00...
    Shirts, coats, and pants, for 4 persons, 6 asst'd ghillie suits, and camo netting, more flares for the 26.5mm flare pistols, and a couple of night vision monoculars.
    So, I'll be laying out $600.00 a month for the next 4 months....
    Then I went with the last remaining $$$ to the hardware store, picked up some 3 and 4 inch x 2 foot exhaust pipe sections for "doubling", for my stoves/heaters. ($70.00)
    I went to the grocery store and got enough food for a week or more...($80.00!)
    Next:
    Going to "blow" the rest ($ 95.00-100.00), on burlap to dye for my "custom" ghillie suits we are now making, along with another 6 or more skeins of camo yarn !
    Are we having fun yet?

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner