So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Two 7-gallon water containers, a couple quarts of lamp oil, and some wooden matches -- it appears the strike-anywhere matches have disappeared for good.

2. jash

jash Monkey+++

NVBear-try your small independent grocers. Ours still carry them-we pick them up everytime we go.

3. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

50# lentils, 50# (more) wheat berries. Making liquers from this year's fruits - purely medicinal, of course ;).

4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

First cucumber, bell pepper and handfull of peas from the garden. In a week or 2 we should be hip deep in cucumbers and grenbeans then tomatoes.

5. jimy

jimy Monkey++

10# whole corn, 96 AAA batteries, 3 led flashlights and two cases of diced tomatoes. 1 Comp M3 Aimoint and mount. Trying to get Larry my neighbour to give me his extra figs for preserves.

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

75 Pounds of BBQ Briquettes - Kingsford, of course! H-D is having a sale - two 21.6 pound bags for $9.95.

25 pounds of Uncle Ben's rice.

Four more MH meal packets.

Four new one-gallon paint cans for preps.

Three new one-quart paint cans - ditto.

Several canned food items.

Two 16-packs and two 8-packs of AA batteries.

Pretty good week.

7. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I pick up oak and pecan wood all the time, for my out door kitchen. Picked up extra brass at the range. Building a steel safe.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

192 more rolls of T.P.,....
    $453.00 and $225.00 ,more in canned goods.
    A tank of gas, $200.00, for my BIG van! (1989 Dodge B-250)
    In the process of dehydrating a LOT of canned goods almost ready to expire....8/08!
    I taste test them all before I even begin!
    Now all I need is MORE money!
    So many things to get, so little time to get it all!
    I knew I should have bought that money tree!
    Bill

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

WE, built 2 more EMP "Faraday" cages.....
    Just-in-case.
    Bill

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

WE had the local ACE hardware store order in a bunch of those strike anywhere matches for us!
    We have a great relationship with them....something we need, they don't have?
    No problem!
    They'll get it by the next Thursday!
    It's good to have friends in that area!

11. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Thanks for the suggestions on the "strike anywhere" matches... there's a local Hardware store here.

Went to an Estate Sale and picked up some small tools (most of them quite old, but excellent condition). Also got a "small" vice, some garden tools, and a small metal tool box. OK -- everything was small, but it cost only a little money. Also got a K&E "Beginner's Slide Rule" -- just got to figure out how to use it - it's been about 35 years.

12. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I've been reloading like crazy. I figure having bullets, powder, and primers sitting around is good, but having empty casings laying around is just unnessessary. Load them and store them so they don't take up as much space as they would in their component state. I need more ammo cans!

13. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Got some more dehydrated food, put away some more canned goods, worked with my mother-in-law to can/preserve some stuff from the garden (tomatoes, beans, and corn).

The wife looked at the "Emergency Essentials" catalog and said, "hey, we need to get this, this, this, this, this, oh and definetly THIS". She also OK'd getting some of the "super pails" from them so I'm going to look around to see if I can find them any cheaper (not that their prices are all that bad, just need to save money where we can).

Finished my shed for more storage area of things that are currently stored in the garage. Just have to get the ramp built so I can get the genny in and out of there. I have though about trying to rig it up so the genny could be run from within the shed. I've seen some details on the web on how to do it, it would at least quiet it down some by running it in there.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

5kw gennie [gone]

15. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Another 7 gallon water jug, the blue kind from Walmart.

16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I put away another ten pounds of rice, but it's been a slow week, food-prepwise.

I have been concentrating on my handloading, with the price of ammo getting so high.

So far, I've loaded five boxes of .38 Special, two boxes of .357 Magnum, two boxes of .45ACP, and my first test batch of thirty .22 Hornets.
    Beefed up my stock of BP supplies too.

We finally got a new Sportsman's Warehouse here in town - I was a 'kid in the candy store'! My wallet still aches - but I saved a bundle on shipping, lead surcharge and hazmat fees. More supplies, less wasted FRNs!

Next week, I get into .30-30 and .308 loading......

17. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Reloading all empty brass. 6 cases of low sodium canned veggies. Bag of Basmati rice [24.00!], Beans, and flour. Got my 24/12 volt charger working. Recording patriot music.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Well, I bought $1,049.67 in canned foods......
    I built a mirrored surface "solar stove/oven"......
    and, I built a "SOLIS" water purifier box, mirror lined, that holds 4-2 liter bottles.
    Now, I'm broke.....AND.....
    Worse, there's NO cartoons on right now!
    Bill

19. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well been pretty well broke but did get anothe shed put up (for a friend thats staying with us for a while to store her stuff in and later likely become the wood shed) and a carport type roof over the camper where she will be staying. Also got about 3 dozen cloth diapers and about 8 sets of plastic pants for the grandbaby who it seems will be a pretty full time fixture for at least the next year or so visiting his mom on the weekends.

20. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

Since my last post I have added.
    A job!

Coleman propane 2 mantle lantern with 1 full tank of fuel. The lantern was in the original box with all of the packing paper work. It looks like it had only been used once. $5.00

3 kerosene lanterns $9.00

1 Aladdin model B aluminum shelf lamp. It is missing the mantle, mantle holder, wick and chimney. It came with a chimney for a regular lamp but the base is too small to any of the 16 that I now have. $5.00

The knife at the bottom of the post. $5.00

2 new Coleman 414 unleaded stove generators. I am going to have to dig through my stack of stoves and see if I have a 414 or not. $3.89 each

4 tan 19”x 20” and 14 light green 13”x13” cotton napkins. .50 cents.

A woman’s braded cotton cord belt that I disassembled and ended up with 15 30” long large diameter candle wicks and a usable buckle. $1.59

A shotgun photo and info is in my post “I added a Shot gun.”

A Gomco medical suction pump set with bottle and hoses. FREE! And it works.

A used freon evacuation pump so I can make my own freeze drier. Works. $50.00

2 U.S. woodland BDU shirts. $2.00

Some more white cotton duck. I think I have enough to make me a set of winter web gear.

Some odds and ends like med stuff, bread pans, webbing , food and ammo.
    GTechUSA 003.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner