So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Pros removed that spring on purpose! It caused damage to the woodwork. If the spring is gone, it was a true working tool. Besides, gravity will open it, with no problem.

2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Dang! Now I feel like a rookie. Maybe I can get a break on the price since it's "broken".

kellory likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

As long as the screw shaft is not bent, and the action is smooth, they are almost as quick as a screwgun or drill, and never run out of charge!;) they also made a push drill on the same design (that SHOULD still have the return spring) as for the Yankees, I have also cut down and notched a few screwdrivers to fit my Yankees. (Just take an existing bit as a template.)
    As to price....of course bargain! It is clearly not factory, so not a"collectable". I find tools at yard sales, and antique shops, and I never pay full price!;)

4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I love old tools. The bad part is that old tools were newfangled when I first started working. I even used to use Horsehide hot glue.

oldawg, ghrit and kellory like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Like that 5lbs of bacon is going in the fridge.... more like your belly ;) BACON !!!!!!!

ditch witch likes this.
  6. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I admit it isn't much, but I found a source of nice pork bellies for $3.28 a pound. I only had $15 and change on me so I got what I could, but I'LL BE BACK SOON! I still have an entire slab and a half in the freezer waiting on me to cure and smoke it too.

7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Got a bag of apples from the neighbor last week, gonna make apple pie filling and freeze it. I'm not a pie person, I just want the good stuff!

Yard Dart, ditch witch and GOG like this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Oh, maybe a new job. ;)

GOG, VHestin, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  9. ditch witch

50 pounds of pintos, which I'm going to can this weekend. Found a recipe for ranch style beans so thought I'd try canning some instead of buying. I've kinda stopped eating beans since I went on Primal but the Mr. eats them and if SHTF I'd be eating them too, cheap as they are. But we don't eat them near fast enough to use up 50 pounds before they turn to rocks so canning seemed the best option.
    I'm in love with this big Asian market in the city. First pre-bacon at $3.28 a pound and now gorgeous red and green bell peppers for $1.28 a pound... instead of $1.99 EACH at the friggin supermarket. Scored about 25 pounds total, along with a few pounds of fresh mushrooms, onions, etc. Am blanching/flash freezing all of it today and tomorrow to vac seal and freeze in small bags for quick stir fries this winter.
    Another 16 pounds of pork bellies, soon to become bacon
    3 cans Lysol for the upcoming germ season
    1 commercial size box of heavy duty aluminum foil, 500 ft roll
    3 box pack of tea bags, 312 bags total
    24 cans french cut green beans, 6 cans sauerkraut, 12 cans black eye peas with jalapeno, and 12 cans whole corn... United Supermarket has 2 for $1 on Del Monte and the BEPs were 3 for $1 :)
    1 carton Idahoan instant taters (62 servings)
    Two nice thick blankets to add to our stockpile.... that our Doberman has chewed holes all in. :/
    A pound of coconut palm sugar
    7 lb dark brown sugar
    10 packs of turbo yeast
    small gas can I scored from a friend who was cleaning out his garage
    Vit C pills, 600 count bottle

stg58, Motomom34 and KAS like this.
  10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Okra gumbo...so when is supper??? ;)

GOG likes this.
  11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have a pretty good recipe for ranch style beans posted in the recipe section here on Monkey.

GOG, Motomom34 and ditch witch like this.
  12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

@ditch witch ... Try this one, and see what you think. Thread is at recipes and called "Texas Ranch Style (pinto) Beans Recipe".

GOG, Motomom34 and ditch witch like this.
  13. ditch witch

That's funny..... that's the recipe I found. Homesicktexan.com

GOG, stg58 and tacmotusn like this.
  14. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I tried it and liked it, and stole it and posted it here, as is often my way. I do throw some good smoked sausage chunks to simmer in mine towards the end of the cooking, but that's about the only change I made. It's been a hit when ever I make it.

Gator 45/70, stg58 and ditch witch like this.
  15. ditch witch

It looked really good. Glad to get a thumbs up from someone I know is good in the kitchen before I went to the trouble of making it! :)

tacmotusn, GOG and stg58 like this.
  16. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Just some more canned goods.

stg58 likes this.
  17. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

My Sams Club membership ran out a few months back and I did not have a need or chance to renew but last Saturday a free 60 day membership arrived with an offer to renew with $40 in free stuff so we headed out and picked up 50 pounds of rice, 50 pounds of beans and 25 pounds of flour.

I will renew before it runs out get the free stuff which amounts to 14 month membership for almost zero dollars.:)

18. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Excellent!

stg58 likes this.
  19. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

Stocked up for the family's upcoming Appleseed shoot to replace our existing 22lr inventory. Didn't want cheap 550 WWB plinking ammo to affect accuracy at the Appleseed training -- prefer to use Minimags. Found a reasonable deal on CCI MiniMags -- $40 for CCI MiniMag.22LR 36gr CPHP 300rd Box 72hr Sale, No Limits, Same Day Shipping!.
    Smokey Mountain Munitions

GOG, NotSoSneaky and stg58 like this.
  20. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

All our animal feed is on sale, so we're gonna stock up on it. Already got 3 bags of cat food(due to the sale price, the 3rd bag was basically free). Mom ordered a bunch of DVDs in our monthly Amazon order, she said that's her last DVD purchases til next spring. She will most likely spend most of winter curled up in bed(it's near the wood stove) watching her DVDs. Me, I ordered a pressure canner and weight gauge. That's how I plan to spend fall/winter. CANNING! :)

NotSoSneaky and stg58 like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner