So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

Bought 25 lbs of Winter Cover Crop mix seeds from Johnny's Select Seeds (Winter cover crops | Johnny's Selected Seeds) to 'green mulch' my Hugelbeds:

uploadfromtaptalk1409499842263.

raised garden bed hugelkultur after one month

uploadfromtaptalk1409499952994.

raised garden bed hugelkultur after two years

- grow a typical garden without irrigation or fertilization
    - has been demonstrated to work in deserts as well as backyards
    - use up rotting wood, twigs, branches and even whole trees that would otherwise go to the dump or be burned
    - it is pretty much nothing more than buried wood

Fair Use Source: hugelkultur: the ultimate raised garden beds

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    VisuTrac and Yard Dart like this.
  2. AmericanRedoubt1776

I bought 2 of that same model via Amazon along with a Wilson 1000 Series 3000 Watt Magnetic Mount CB Antenna with 62 1/2 inch Removable Whip. Like the combo so far for our home base station and vehicle.

NotSoSneaky and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I will have to check out that antenna combo, thanks for that info!

4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

spinning wheels - ashford.co.nz

I just got one of these for $20 at a yard sale!!!!!!(that's what I was so worried might not still be there this afternoon, but it was!) Well mine is single treadle though, it's quite a few years old but it's in really good shape. Came with all the papers(instructions/assembly guide, spinning how-to). We have a wool fleece, carding tools, everything needed for spinning but the wheel. And now we have that too! I just have to figure out WHERE TO PUT IT! :)

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do you have sheep?

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh, that is an amazing find! Great job! Even a single treadle is gonna be great to have. I would really like to hear and see more about this process. If you have a camera or even just a journal, keep track of your setup and use and post it when you get the chance!

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Congrats V, I'm glad it worked out for you.:)

8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am not familiar how to operate these things tho I think they are very cool VH... I would be very interested in seeing how this works out for you. Back in the day... maybe when I was 13 or so, mom taught me and my sister how to sew and knit stuff.... I never knew I may have a day when I needed to know how to do it... but know I am thankful that if pressed, I could make a blanket or fix a pair of paints ripped by a fence!!!

kellory likes this.
  9. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Don't have sheep, but I am in contact with our area's spinners/weavers guild :)

10. tekdoggy

tekdoggy Monkey

Hello all, new to prepping and this is the first forum i've joined. I got 4 months of the long term storage food containers from auguson farms and 2 different types of water purification systems, a handheld dual band ham radio, the rest of the equipment for my mobile ham radio and a home patrol scanner this week.

We scratch by paycheck to paycheck, had to figure what order to spend very limited resources on. I also dont have time or space to grow/can, or raise animals. thats why i've started with the auguson farms stuff, costs more per pound, but gives me a little piece of mind while i try to prioritize and figure out a plan.

Think I'm going to sell some things i don't use and put the money toward preps. Just need to keep researching so i can put the money to the best use.

Thanks for all the great posts on this site, very helpful.

GOG, Kathy in WV, tacmotusn and 4 others like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey Tree, there @tekdoggy Please feel free to post in the Comms forums.... as well as any place else that you might wonder into....
    Lots of good Folks, here'bouts, and tons of good information to be had......

12. AmericanRedoubt1776

Welcome to the monkey tree -- my favorite preparedness forum (and the friendliest) along with Calguns.net (due to the shear volume of interesting posts).

13. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Welcome!

14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

The pool of knowledge Here is both wide and deep...you are in the right place.;)

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  15. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Welcome and eat what you store and store what you eat.
    You may be better served by home canning and bulk purchasing than by buying boxes (or cans) of "emergency food".

Brokor likes this.
  16. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Excellent--this should be a top priority for people! When the grid goes down, dentistry will not likely be available. Get over your fear of dentists and get that much-postponed dental work done, ASAP---or you were never really serious about prepping anyway.

techsar, NotSoSneaky and Yard Dart like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well this is "Get Ready for Winter" week here in the Inlet. The barge came in, Friday Morning, and I spent three hours putting away my Winter Grub Order, into two of my four Freezers. The third freezer was empty, and in Defrost Mode, which they all get, once a year. This afternoon, I spent a couple of hours Loading Number 3 with My Meat Stores, and the Cannery's Head Cook, showed up with the stuff I selected from the MessHall Freezer. That filled the Meat Freezer (#3) to the top, and I finished up, loading part of my Bread Freezer (#2) with the HotDawg and MooseBurger Buns. The #1 Freezer has the Pot Pies, OJ, Butter, Veggies, and Assorted Goodies, and it is Chuck Full Up. On Wednesday, I go down the the Store, and select from Inventory, they have left, like Eggs, Milk, Raisin Bread, Ice Cream, Steaks, and Cheese. What frozen I can't take they pack up and ship south to a cold Storage, and then bring it back North next Spring. That stuff will Fill up #4 Freezer, and I will be ready for the next 18 months, or Better, Food wise. I have enough Diesel #1, and Gasoline in the Tank Farm, for twice that amount of time should I need it. The only thing left will be to wash out my Water Collection Totes and get them ready for another winter, then I will be set, so let the SNOW FLY......

Update: All the food is in, and it feels GOOD.......
    2nd Update: finished Prep'en the Water Storage Totes, for winter, and that is another JOb finished, getting ready for winter, and Lights Out Day.....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  18. xls

xls Monkey

Found a local deal on some spaghetti, rice and Mac& cheese. We got 3 cases of Mac & cheese , 50 lbs of rice and 50 lbs of pasta spent $ 75.00 on it all. Sad to see another store closing .

19. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Picked up a Log Jack-Cant Hook today.

kellory and GOG like this.
  20. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I found some Federal aluminum case 230gr. .45ACP at Wally World. I'd never seen it before and it was reasonable, so I picked up three boxes for practice. Also picked up more Great Value canned chicken, Swanson's broth, Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and some Margaret Holmes canned vegetables. All that stuff will add diversity to rice and beans as well as pasta's and such.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner