So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Enough Stabil to treat 80 gallons of fuel

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I wish that I now had access to the lomotil I got stashed back in MobileNO!!

3. wolfmonk

wolfmonk Monkey+++

Those River Rock flashlights are nice for the money. [winkthumb] I've been wanting to get one of their small lanterns.

4. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

A couple of cases of water, ramen noodles (but they don't seem to last long) they make a good quick breakfast I have to stop doing that!
    some supplies for my kids BOB & fanny packs including a new compass for my older son. Para-cord, candles.

5. E.L.

They are my favorite flashlights. I have five or six Surefire's, but I end up using the cheap AA battery fed LED River Rock's more than anything. Everybody in the house has their own LED light.

Over the past week my preps have included: three extra large cans of baby formula, three more months supply of all meds, a months worth of food, a new fire proof Liberty safe, a couple of ARs, and a couple of XD's.

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

well, started reloading form my .40S&W, got the dies and extra stuff needed to load for the 9mm ordered (should be here by Saturday). Picked up a 1000 bullets of 9 & .40 along with primers and powder.

My wife got me the dies to load for my 30-30 for my b-day so now I have lots to do in my "spare" time LOL

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well lets see, since I last had a chance to post on this topic I have put away a new sleeping bag, got a new to me '94 Ranger with 60k original miles, got engaged to Tina, got her a Berreta modle 92 9mm with a couple hundred rounds of ammo, 200 more rounds of .380, 2 more mags for my .380 and a new Gerber multi tool. More shoping to do this weekend. lol

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You should get pretty good service from the Ranger. I have a friend with 167K on his 87 with not much trouble, and I have 218k on my 97 without pain.

9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I put the Bard away this week.

10. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I put away the dishes.

11. E.L.

8- 13 rd. .45 cal. XD mags. Two small safes, one for my pickup, another for the house.

12. andy

andy Monkey+++

some GI type bags...now to fill them...

13. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Costco marked down their "275-meal survival bucket" from $99 to $69 closeout. Evidently, they're not a very hot-selling item, but we helped them out by getting one today.

The meals are in a white 5-gallon bucket; there are 55 x 5-meal packages (alumi-foil wrapped) with a shelf life of "up to 20 years".

There are about 10 different meals... I've got some picky eaters here. At that price, it's a great deal. We now have a couple in storage. Wish I could have convinced my wife to get a bunch more.

14. andy

andy Monkey+++

a surefire and batteries

15. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

Got our first emergency radio with monkeyman's advice. A small one, not the most powerful or best by any means, but it's a start. We'll test it out in a couple weeks on our camping trip to see what sort of range the shortwave gets. Only thing in English I could pull in this morning was Christian programming (no offense meant, but the endless preaching gets on my nerves). Did manage several in Spanish, one in Italian and one station in an Oriental language (I think Chinese but not sure).

So far, beyond buying new fruit canes/brambles, nothing of interest yet.

~Falcon

16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Got my new green 2.5 lb Bivy Tent from Sportsman's Guide. Much lighter and easier to carry than my 6 lb Dome Tent! Means more allowance for food.

Got my 800 round SPAM can of 7.62X25 ammo for the Czech CZ52 pistol. With four spare mags, this gives me a second fully equipped combat pistol for SHTF day.

Found a store locally (Harvey's grocery store) that sells some very good sardines in a bigger 15 ounce can, in tomato sauce! Tried a can - going to lay in a good stock of them. $1.59 each. The smaller 3.5 ounce cans run $.79 each, so this is a much better buy, pricewise. With a pouch of 'heat&serve' rice, it makes a good meal for two!

Got two 1.25 gallon flat plastic water jugs at the same store. Makes carrying a weekend's worth of water on my MC much easier! One straps onto my cargo rack, under the gear bag, the other goes into a side bag. With the spout built-in, I can pour water from the racked unit with it still strapped on. Cool!

17. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

The CZ-52 is a great addition, I have one also. I have had some odditys with the surplus ammo. Some feels hot and some can be weaker. It always fires though. I love the design of that pistol. Might I ask where you picked up a spamcan of ammo for it?
    Thanks

18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Sportsman's Guide has the 800 round sealed metal can. It's a PITA to open though. I haven't met the can yet that I could work those silly pulltabs! I always end up using a chisel and metal snips.
    Beats me how the Eastern Bloc troopers got these things open during battle! [dunno]

19. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Brought into service in 1952, the correct name for these large-framed pistols is Ceskoslovenska Zborjovka Vzor 52. Note that there is also a CZ-52 rifle, and the two should not be confused.
    Cartridge
    The pistol was originally chambered in the 7.62x25 or 7.62 Tokarev bottle-necked cartridge. While this cartridge shares the physical dimensions of the Tokarev cartridge, it can be loaded hotter than the standard 7.62 Tokarev (see text on roller lock below). As such, care should be taken when selecting ammunition to match the pistol.
    Several East Bloc submachine guns, including the PPSh-41 are chambered in 7.62x25. These fire a yet more potent version of this caliber. Again, care should be taken to avoid firing these subgun rounds in both the Tokarev and CZ-52.
    The CZ-52 pistol can be converted to fire 9x19 simply by changing the barrel. Some pistols have been retrofitted from the factory with a 9mm barrel, and aftermarket barrels are available. There are some feeding and extraction issues related to this, which are discussed below. From a safety standpoint, be sure that you are firing the correct ammunition from the correct barrel.

20. blackfeather

blackfeather Monkey+++

16 qt pressure canner. Now I have learn how to use it
    and save some of the stuff that I grow.

Evil likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner