So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

This reminds me, I've got a couple 40 channel mobile's and a 2 meter mobile in storage. Think I'm gonna rig up a Faraday cage for them today.

2. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Thanks' for the tip. I'll save the grass clippings from my front and back yard (not my house, so the landlady makes me keep the lawn, might as well make it earn its keep!)

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Almost any time you can stir in leaf detritus (except oak and pine needles) the results will be good. If it were me, I'd pile them for a year first if possible to let some decay get started. Don't use it if there's mold (white powder) in evidence on a close look. Well composted wood chips work, too. Straw degrades much faster in this application, but is very good.

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Shredded paper also works well and Worms seem to love it....

5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Maybe the worms are trying to become literate so they can hatch a proper plan to destroy us all? :eek:

kellory likes this.
  6. BLKFJDC

BLKFJDC Monkey

Midland 75-822, telescoping whip antenna, 4' Firestick antenna +mount +coax for the rig. I am pleasantly surprised with this little CB. I was able to get a full 7 miles out and talk to the wife with buildings etc. in the way. Cool little radio for the $$$

7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Got my own copy of Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel, and 5 pounds of dark wool :)

8. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

How about shredded junk mail? I seem to get a ton of it, and I have a paper shredder.

9. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Scored 400 rds. of .357 mag 158 gr. FMJ

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

should work....

11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Picked up a flask today at wallie world for less than $4- have to fill it with something now..... making progress over here;)

Beano likes this.
  12. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Got it. Best part is that my shredder is a crank type. No electricity needed.

13. hedger

hedger Monkey+

I fondly recall picking blueberries in a marsh in Massachusetts, in my youth. Love blueberries but I now live in an area (Southwest) where the soil is alkaline. Blueberries require an acidic to neutral soil to grow well. Oh well, I can still buy them at the grocery store.

14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You could try them in a raised planter, or large pot, or simply prepare the soil for them first.

KAS likes this.
  15. BLKFJDC

BLKFJDC Monkey

Just scored another grenade ammo can. $8. I could not pass it up

KAS likes this.
  16. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Picked up a new AR 5.56 complete upper at Knob Creek; 20 inch Stainless Steel barrel with removable flash suppressor, 1 in 9 twist, 1913 low gas block, A3 type flat top with quad rail forearm, standard complete M16/AR15 bolt carrier group and charging handle. ............. now if my back ordered, overdue complete lower would come in.

melbo, Beano and BLKFJDC like this.
  17. Beano

Beano Monkey

On the food storage front, I have a heads-up for those either storing or considering purchasing either what are known as Yukon Biscuits (Ready Reserve Foods) or Pilot Bread (Mountain House, I believe)......they resemble hardtack. Anyways, real pricey, but good to have to round out a can of Hormel Chili or Campbell's soup. The Spanish food brand Goya makes an identical product simply called "Crackers" (they also have a mini version called "Snack Crackers". I checked the ingredient list; it's exactly the same as the above mentioned brands. They come in light-duty plastic sacks containing six smaller cellophane packages, each containing six crackers. Each sack costs between $2 and $3. I placed two of the cellophane packages in a one-gallon mylar bag with three-300cc O2 absorbers, and repeated until I had stored up eight of the plastic sacks worth. Fit neatly in two buckets.

With this method, I stored 288 biscuits for a total of $30.30 ($2.17/sack x 8 sacks = $17.36; two food-grade five gallon buckets, $12.94)

Ready Reserve Foods: Yukon biscuits, #2 1/2 can, 13 biscuits/can = ~22 cans @ $9.45 per can = $207.90 plus S&H

There are also good hardtack recipes out there. I buy packaged foods for storage because my kitchen is very small and I don't have a lot of spare time on my hands. The Goya crackers are great with Red Feather butter or Bega cheese.

Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  18. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Was at the Charlotte, NC gun show and bumped into an old friend (sells Tannerite-Carolina Thunder inc). She loaded me up a bag of med supplies. Having to change med BO containers because am out of room. Probably be better to just add another and label it for quick usage needs.

Beano likes this.
  19. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

$11.50 face 90% silver (all halves) at local new pawn shop. Markup was just less than 10% over their silver value. No one in my local area has 1 ounce silver rounds, buffalos, maple leafs and eagles. All are sold out. jus sayin.

VisuTrac and Beano like this.
  20. Beano

Beano Monkey

That's a darn good buy right there. Pickings are indeed getting real slim and premiums are going to make up half the purchase price before too long. That's the price to play, I guess. I can't stop stacking yet.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner