So what did you put away this week?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Questions for Bear --

What are the styrofoam bean bag beads used for? I'm sure it's a great tool for insulation...

Also, can you recommend a good supplier for wicks?

Thanks!
    nvbeav

2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Great question on the beads... yup... good for insulation and making makeshift pillows, conforming support etc... weighs next to nothing... I'm sure there are other uses as well....

Here's a link for the wicks....
    http://www.candlechem.com/wicks.htm

All around good supplier for hard to find items...

I've also stocked up on beeswax... good all around item to have as well for a number of uses not just light....

Reminded me I need to get some more floats for the nets....

Hope that helps... let me know if you have any other questions....

3. GoatLady

GoatLady Lock and load

I picked up a few bags of frozen veggies to dry.

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

2 More Cans of SPAM!!!

I will henceforth be known as the spam king! Mwuaahhahaha!

As society collapses and the sheeple desperately search for spam, I will be the one they have to go to! I will command the legions of the new world order from my dark tower of spam!
    Mwuaahhahaha!

5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[LMAO][LMAO][fnny][fnny][kneelsuckers]

6. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

You dehydrate frozen veggies?

What a great idea!

7. GoatLady

GoatLady Lock and load

Yep! I got a bag od diced carrots, a bag of peas, a tub of blueberries, diced squash, corn, hash browns, etc. Dirt cheap and adds up! [​IMG]

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sam's:

$597 worth of canned goods, flour, sugar, rice, frozen meats, batteries and charger.

Should be good for an extra 3-4 months worth. Last night after unpacking the full back of my 3/4 ton, I had to rotate it all from one pantry to another. Fun, fun. My nieces who were over last weekend think that I am crazy for having all of that food. Yet, whenever the hurricane came through who were they living with for three weeks?

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

$200 worth of canned goods..(meat, veggies, etc...) at Sam's Club yesterday evening...

Rice, and Sugar. just 'cause...

More Water. (it's gonna take over it's own room soon...but that's ok)

Love the drying frozen veggie idea! [applaud]

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Picked up a 4 pack of the AA rechargable batteries today that are sold for replacements in the solar lawn lights. They were like half the price of the normal ones so figured would try them out as regular AA batteries to recharge in the charger.

Hauled in another 2 barrels of water to get by untill I fix the busted pipes and refill the tank, and cut up another pig for the freezer. Forgot to mention it but also got anothe 30 or so chickens from a friend last week.

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Gunshow today. Picked up a spamcan of Hungarian Heavy Ball 7.62X54R for the Mosins, and a 1000 round case of Wolf "Classic Military" 7.62X39 for the SKS's. Got a very nice set of custom grip panels for my Colt 1911A1 in African Snakewood - pretty!
    Put away a dozen cans of Brunswick Fish Steaks in a mix of Spring water, Soybean Oil and Mustard Sauce. Dang, I like those little herring! Should fill out the Shrimp-flavored Ramen Noddles nicely.
    Put away a few more packs of AA batteries too. I seem to use a ton of them between the mini lanterns, digital camera and GPS gadget.
    Packed away four pounds of Black Beans, four pounds of Uncle Ben's rice and two pounds of Blackeye Peas.
    A fairly productive week!

12. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Picking this up right now. List from the for sale ad below

13. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Three hundred rounds of 710 fps .22 CCI longs (very quiet)
    one M38 (short Mosin-Nagant)7.62x54R
    5- 30 rd. AR Mags

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Picked up a flour mill, a meat grinder, a Springfield M6 Scout rifle, a case of mixed .410 shells, and some more shelving for the closets

15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Some FMs and TMs in hard copy.

FM 90-2 Tactical Deception
    FM 30-15 Intelligence Interrogation
    FM 34-1 Intelligence and Electronic Warfare Operations
    FM 33-1 Psychological Operations
    FM 31-19 Special Forces Military Free-Fall Parachuting
    FM 31-16 Counterguerrilla Operations
    FM 100-5 Operations
    FM 90-5 Jungle Operations
    FM 90-3 Desert Operations
    FM 90-6 Mountain Operations
    FM 90-13 River Crossing Operations
    FM 31-71 Northern Operations
    FM 21-75 Combat Training of The Individual Soldier and Patrolling
    FM 23-30 Grenades and Pyrotechnic Signals
    FM 101-5-1 Operational Terms and Symbols
    FM 23-3 Tactics, Techniques and Concepts of Antiarmor Warfare
    FM 7-8 The Infantry Platoon and Squad (Airborne, Air Assault, Ranger)
    FM 31-10 Denial Operations and Barriers
    FM 3-9 Military Chemistry and Chemical Compounds
    TC 30-1 Tactical Cover and Deception
    ST 21-75-1 The Ranger Course Pamphlet
    TM 9-1005-249-34 Direct and General Support Maintenance Manual M16A1
    TM 43-0001-29 Army Ammunition Data Sheets for Grenades
    TC 90-11-1 Military Skiing
    TC 24-1 Communications-Electronics Operation Instructions
    TC 7-50 Fighting Positions for Infantry Soldiers
    ST 21-75-4 Patrolling Terms
    SH 21-76 Ranger Handbook
    ST 21-75-3 Dismounted Patrolling
    MCI 7704A Intelligence
    MCI 7715B Defensive Operations
    MCI 7711A Nuclear and Chemical Operations
    Basic Rifle Marksmanship Shooter’s Book
    The Infantryman’s Handbook

stg58 likes this.
  16. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I did pick up a couple 2-quart military canteens, a multi-tool, and paracord, but this week has been mostly reference books:
    • "Successful Small-Scale Farming" by Karl Schwenke -- has info on running a small farm including soils, plants, machinery, ... appendices with tables of values for measurements, seed amounts, minerals added/removed, space requirements, etc. [I'll probably get around to reading it and do a book reports; cursory look seems impressive.]
    • "Practical Skills" by Gene Logsdon -- found this at a 2nd hand store for a dollar :^) "The revival of forgotten crafts, techniques, and traditions." HUGE - too much to describe. From the Home, Shop, Food, Garden, Livestock, etc... tips upon tips.
    • "The Ultimate Emergency Preparedness Course" by Jim Rawles and Jake Stafford. -- filled with a lot of information that most unprepared people need to know; helps you decide what to put into your year's supply of food from the "big box" stores. Appendices have lots of data and organizational tips, including the organization of your TEOTWAWKI lists. It's really more of a notebook you can write all over, and then read again to organize more of your own plans.
    • "Small-Scale Grain Raising" by Gene Logsdon -- a lot of information on raising many different grains; this guy seems to be a bastian of knowledge. Might be book report material in the future.

17. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

200rnd surplus( corrosive) 174grn.303, brit issue pouch, sling and strippers ,sofar only 20rounds worth of strippers, ad more as time goes on, 2large bags egg noodle pasta and 3 cans spaghetti sauce...200rnds/ 32$can't beat it even though its nonreloadable and I gotta clean with ammonia or boiling water. be adding more as I can...don't see racking up more than 500 or so rounds;gets that bad I'll have plenty of opfor weapons laying around to pick from....they can truck in my resupply.

18. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Got my order from Emergency Essentials in. 2 10# cans of dried beans (black and small red) along with a 10# can of biscuit mix. I also ordered one of their small "straw" type water filters to check out.
    The last thing was a 1200 cal food bar for a taste test. I just wanted to get one and let the wife and I sample it before we get too many and find out we don't like them.

Ryan

19. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I cut another 1/2 cord or so of wood today and the other day also got another compound bow. Someone gave it to my step dad and he dont hunt so passed it along to me.

20. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Kckndrgn -- I'll be very interested to know more of your thoughts on the 1200 calorie food bars!

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner