So I saw a ragged American Flag.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Dec 9, 2020.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Works for me.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I didn't know about the night time illumination. ATM mine is zip tied to a PVC pipe pole which is zip tied to my front porch post. Don't have an actual flagpole and didn't want it flying off in high winds so that seemed the best option. I don't come from a family with any military or patriotic inclinations, was kicked out of Brownies long before we ever learned any flag etiquette (do they even teach that sort of thing to the girls?), and it wasn't taught in my schools. I know not to let it hit the ground and don't fly a ragged one, that's about it. Bought an actual flagpole mount the other day, was going to relocate the flag this weekend and it'll be under a night light then.

If my current flag flying has pissed anyone off in my AO.... well I'm happy that my good intentions have supplied them with gossip material.

3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

On the other hand, we here in the South prefer our Battle Flags, and our jeans, well broken-in! The more ragged and faded the better. Eventually, they have to be replaced and for awhile there will be a bright new banner on the pole, but time and the elements will take care of that.

johnbb, HK_User, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Flag etiquette in the Commonwealth nations is pretty much the same as in the USA. Lowering the national flag at sundown, and raising it at sunrise, has pragmatic utilitarian reasons, than as a matter of respecting the flag's symbolism...a flag that doesn't fly 24/7 will last longer before falling into unsightly decrepitude, than one that does. There is also less likelihood of flag vandalism or theft if the flag is illuminated.

https://www.pmc.gov.au/government/australian-national-flag/australian-national-flag-protocols

There is quite a bit of ceremonial with regards to military colours that are past their prime, or the unit that it belongs to has been removed from the ORBAT, or has been amalgamated with another unit. Unit colours are laid to rest, rather than junked.

Regimental colours are laid to rest 'but never dead'.

Colours, Standards, Guidons and Banners | Army.gov.au

The Laid up Queen's & Regimental Colours 2nd & 17th

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    oldawg, Gator 45/70 and Mountainman like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

How in the world does someone get booted out of the Brownies?

6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Part of my growing up was being a Boy Scout, collecting old flags, then having a meeting where they were disposed of. The man who lead the proceedings was a member of the VFW who had been gassed and lost a leg in WW1 in France and there were at least a half dozen younger men who were combat vets from WW2 present as well. They damned well let you know that there was a proper way to do it and it wasn't a time to goof off. Over 70 years ago and I still remember some of the times we did it. We were also taken to the cemetery as Boy Scouts and given a list of vet graves to decorate, combat deaths got a gold flag staff and larger flag, for Armistice Day and Memorial Day and it made you realize how long, in Minnesota it went back to Civil War, here it goes back to French and Indian War, and how many people had served their country and that some had paid with their lives.

As a 5 year old I listened to an old man talk about fighting at Gettysberg, later I had customers on my paper route who had fought in the Spanish American war, WW1, and WW2. But in spite of our now having vets from Korea, the middle east, all the other places, the younger people no longer interact with them in the same way and a lot of the love and respect for our country and our flag is gone.

Nothing ever really changes, the old man when I was a kid never got over the smell of Gettsyberg and the young man who works part time at the local dump, a Marine, as a result of injuries from a IED in Afganistan does not do well in confined spaces.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  7. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Apologies for the topic derailment. :D

My immediate family hated anything to do with the great outdoors. No bbq-ing, no hiking, no fishing, and most certainly no camping. When I joined the Brownies I was all sorts of excited because our neighbor's little boy was in the Cub Scouts and I'd seen all the awesome stuff THEY got to do. To my crushing disappointment, the Brownies were not the Cub Scouts. While the boys were off learning how to start fires with sticks and making model airplanes, the girls were taught to be nice, smile a lot, and stay clean. Not exactly... I mean this was many decades ago so I honestly can't remember anything we did besides making paste dough tree ornaments once... but I remember it was always indoors, quiet, and boring.

Needless to say, my outspoken little self had opinions on this. LOTS of opinions, and none of them flattering. FINALLY, after many months, and likely only to shut me up, our leader promised us a camping trip. CAMPING TRIP! OMG! I was so excited. Finally we would be doing something fun! I couldn't wait! Visions of marshmallows over a fire, telling ghost stories, sleeping under the stars, all the cool stuff I'd heard the boy next door talk about. Finally I would get to do it too!

The day finally came around and we were all taken to.... the leader's house. To have a sleepover. Indoors. We played Chutes & Ladders, got scratched by their mean cat, and around 3 am woke up to one of the girls squealing that the leader's daughter had peed on the air mattress.

I had three older brothers, my language was salty from the day I learned to speak, and I went off on an expletive laden tirade that berated the bed wetting Brownie, the notion of sleepovers in general, and how much the Brownies sucked. Somewhere I'm sure a sailor raised an eyebrow at what poured out of my 8 year old mouth, and the chorus of scandalized "UMMMMMMMMM!!!!" that arose around me gave proof through the night that the preacher's daughter sure did swear.

And THAT, is how you get kicked out of the Brownies. :D

I finally did go camping at 16 when I got my own car and no longer had to wait on others to take me places. I went all by myself. It was outdoors, I made a fire, and no one wet the bed. :D

TinyDreams, VisuTrac, oldawg and 6 others like this.
  8. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I was raised out doors and never did like those indoor sissies
    [flag]

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Her mother packs a 44Mag, Open Carry, in any state beside Texas & Alaska....
    Reason given: Mother is a “Bad Influence”.... Don’t ask how I know....

HK_User and ditch witch like this.
  10. HK_User

We did the camping on our own, at first it was "in the woods" a large area that was once a ranch.
    A mostly dry creek bed ran through the middle for miles and was a raging river when it reached the top of the banks, often 10 to 12 feet. Let the folks know where you were going and all was good.

The creek was often dry so that was the preferred place to camp and we often had BB gun fights.

Fires was always a good choice and since our small group was the only ones "brave enough" to venture into this forbidden area we never had to worry about company. Still in bike mode so ages was about 10.

Two main memories from this time was the fire in my sleeping bag caused by popping wood and the near loss of my brother when he decided to swim the creek in a full flood event. He was caught in a whirlpool and nearly drowned. What happens camping stays there.
    My sleeping bag was made of kapock and our only liquid was bean juice. So the two smells live forever in my memory. The sleeping bag was stashed and never spoken about again.

Dad refused to sleep on the ground and would drop us off at other places such as lakes so we could fish but vowed to never sleep out after WWll.

Later we did join the BSA and have great memories of camping in what is now DFW airport, at that time it was the Herman, Dearing Ranch of early Texas money fame.

11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Apologies for the topic derailment also .
    Good to read all the above , Glad i was not the only one kicked out of things !
    Sloth

12. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

As a Vietnam vet my flag is flying upside down and will continue too if Biden steals this election. I suggest all vets fly it upside down

Mountainman, SB21 and HK_User like this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

@johnbb
    May I ask why you feel this way since "Vietnam vet" .
    Retired Vet here.
    Sloth

14. HK_User

I believe this was way past replacement when they departed. DSCF5333 (1).JPG

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Reminds me of the movie, “The Patriot” where Heath Ledger spends time repairing a Flag, and after his death, his father takes that flag into battle....

HK_User likes this.
  16. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

We took an oath to defend the constitution upon entering the military in my view there is enough evidence there was major voting fraud (people testifing under oath on the part of democrats). The country is in major trouble if we can not have faith in honest elections thus my statement. You may disagree and in a free society you can.

17. Cruisin Sloth

Thank You Sir !
    Sloth

18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Wrong flag, but yes that one should have been retired long ago!

HK_User likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7