SHTF gun whats your ideal gun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by slug36, Mar 2, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

That all makes sense but:::::::::::::::::: I shoot both real well. I shot better then most on the firing line during qualification as a level one rifleman (Michigan Militia training). To qualify you must put 8 of 10 in an 8 inch circle at 100 yards without a rest. I did ten with both rifles. My .223 round are not fmj so they will expand and fragment bigtime. The wound channel on a deer is pretty impressive. The 30-06 is of course much bigger but I would not feel underpowered with my AR in a fight. The best of both worlds is what you want. You want to kill your target AND be able to carry more ammo. I can carry 360 rounds of .223 versus 120 of 30-06 no question for me. If I have to go into a fight and do not have resupply but can return after the fight to resupply Im using the AR. If I am defending my home Im using my 30-06 and my Ar will be right there as well. I like the 6.8 Idea but it needs to be more available.

But if I have run from my farm leaving all my stores and shelter with no hope of returning Im carrying my Ruger 10/22 and as many rounds as I can carry. Kingfish

2. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

There is also the bulk issue...since a 50 round drum eats up about the same space as 3 30 rd mags...

3. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

i myself would rather have the 90 rounds myself as the armalite's 50 is bulky but the 100 from c-mag is just to much weight for my likes. i believe once I get to being Healthy again I should be able to carry 15-20 mags, hopefully, so I should be pretty good there.

4. If you're carrying 20 magazines you're giving up a LOT of mobility for firepower. That may work in your particular tactical situation - I can't and won't judge. But a prepositioned bandoleer of loaded magazines (in an ammo can, if exposed to the elements to some degree) sure beats humping that much ammo for most civilian tactical scenarios. Just a thought.

5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Yes, resupply is the real factor isn't it? I mean if all you have is what you can carry then you have to think long and hard about what you will carry. Water, food, shelter . The farther you have to go the less weight you can afford for Ammo. Hitler lost in several fronts due to lack of resupply. His men were running out of ammo. I have debated this topic on every forum that I have been on. The truth is it doesnt matter what caliber you have because if you run out of ammo it is just a club. Kingfish

6. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I'm just saying i'm hoping to be capable of carrying that much ammo after i finally get healthy again. If I have the capability to I would love to have ammo stored at severall locations as a cache, maybe that can happen.

7. WSM

WSM Monkey+

If we're talking TEOTWAWKI, a good flintlock with spare parts would serve the best in the long run. You can mine out your lead and sulphur/potash to make balls/powder. Within a year or so everyone's guns would become war clubs or tent poles.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well, not every ones Guns, will be Clubs.... Only those folks that have no Fire Discipline... There are some Prep'ers that will have plenty left and enough Make'ns to keep going for decades.....

9. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I agree with Btpost; there are those of us whom will have enough ammo and supplies
    to and the discipline to not just start throwing lead downrange just willy nilly.I believe in one shot one kill. the only way i'll do anymore than that is AL-CIADA, then I am shootin till I have no more, if any of them are still alive after that, I'll beat'em to death with a pork belly.

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

The Ideal Weapon? No Question!
    bigras.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

DAMMIT, SEA!! you know the OPSEC prohibition of posting self portraits!!!

12. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

What it really boils down to is
    #1 how far are you from resupply.
    #2 Do you have ample resupply?
    #3 are you a good enough shot and have training to be proficient with any caliber or not?
    #4 Are you defending or attacking?
    #5 Ambush, sniper, spray and pray?

I am sure there are many more variables like do you have backup? air power? armored vehicles? and the list goes on. But one other factor really seems to be deciding in many cases and that is your location on the planet.

While in Michigan where I live a .22 Rifle scoped shooting many types of ammunition is all I would ever need even in a defensive situation. But put me in Alaska? Bears are huge up there. Moose, and other very large game require much more power to stop them. My choice would be of the guns I own my 30-06 but a 300 win mag would not be overkill. How about the desert? Long range shots? 25/06? .308? 7mm mag? Situations require different choices. These types of threads can open a lot of eyes to what you really need in your situation.

We have a little of everything 15 guns total 3 @ 30-06, one Ar-15, three .22 rifles, one 32 special winchester, three 20 gauge shotguns, one 410 shotgun and very nice Remington 28 gauge semi auto(MY WIFES BIRD GUN). We also have a couple of handguns. I am looking at a single shot 50 caliber bmg shooting long range car stopper. Something I could take out a truck with. Saving for that one.

I like to think Im not going to get moved off my land. I have however prepared us for that in the event that we have to run and leave our resupply behind. I will resist that with everything in my power. I have enough ammo to last three lifetimes stored in air tight ammo cans desicants in every can. They will keep for along long time. But it is useless if I cant take it with me.Kingfish

13. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

here is my idea for a survival weapon

My idea socall survival gun would be a beretta 93.r pistol with set up like this with a good suppressor and shoulder stock and a aimpoint red dot scope set up for a basic around survival pistol with a 20.rd magazine for everyday carry ..
    dbildzubehoeer_1.

14. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Primers are cheap, but powder isn't. Has anyone given thought to a 30-30?
    The cartridge started as a black powder round, and with primers, a 200 gr. bullet mold and some lead should be viable for a long time. If you know how and can get the materials to make your own powder!

15. coondawg47

coondawg47 Monkey+

12 gauge pump. Lots of rounds everywhere. Shoot birds to buffalo, with the right round of course.

16. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

the idea weapon part two would be a four rifle shotgun in 12.ga side by side with a 223,cal upper barrel under the top rib unit and 30-06 under the shotgun barrels

17. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

Customized Mossberg 500 12 ga.

18. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I don't believe that is 1 perfect weapon for the SHTF, or any scenario. Shotguns are nice, but as I get older, and some life experiences under my belt, like real shootings, the less I like them. I still have several, but they are all in the safe right now.

Presently I have a bubified SKS carbine at the back door. It has taken several coyotes and deer. I personally like the SKS. They were inexpensive, ( at least when I bought mine), And I comfortable with the 7.62x39 round in HP. The SKS is rugged, reliable, and doesn't require extra like magazines.

That said, every weapon system has plus and minus's. Pick the one that you do the best with, and train, train, train.

19. Robryan

Robryan Monkey+

Since you said if you have to hunker down with your family, probably any of the military style rifles would work equally well. Discussion about the trade offs between 5.56x45 vs 7.62x39 vs 7.62x51 could go on forever but in most cases all three will work equally well depending on what ammo you use in them. I think one thing to think about if you have several guns is to install a red dot scope on some because you could show someone else in the family how to shoot it in a short time without wasting precious ammo and drawing attention in a shtf situation.

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not too bad an idea at that. Still, I'd rather waste it when there is time to practice than wait until (almost) too late, and find out that the other family member is gun shy in a crisis that will be enough of a distraction. And if the red dot takes that moment to flip you the bone, what's the fall back?

[beer]

1. Dunerunner
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. hitchcock4
  10. john316
  11. oil pan 4