Shelf Life and Food Storage Information

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by RightHand, Sep 23, 2006.

1. draynes

draynes Monkey+

I'm going to save that one. Thanks!

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It dawned on me that I hadn't eaten in 3 days last Wednesday....and I cooked a frozen dinner out of Dad's freezer.....AFTER eating it, I remembered to look at the date....Happy to report it was June of 2008 and I didn't get sick or anything.... :rolleyes::oops:

yet....;)

Zimmy likes this.
  3. frankride

frankride Monkey+

Storage does not improve the quality of any food. The quality of a food will also not decrease significantly during storage as long as the food is stored properly and used within the recommended time frame.
    Maintaining a food’s quality depends on several factors: the quality of the raw product; the procedures used during processing; the way the food is stored; and the length of storage. The recommended storage time takes these factors into consideration.
    Since bacteria frequently get into food through careless food handling, keep everything — hands, refrigerator, freezer and storage containers — clean.
    These short but safe time limits will help keep refrigerated foods from spoiling or becoming dangerous to eat. Because freezing keeps food safe indefinitely, recommended storage times are for quality only.

http://www.globalwarmingsurvivalcenter.com/

4. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

GREAT thread! Thank you all! I'm saving this offline!

5. natural

natural Monkey+

The Basics of Home Food Storage

What do you think about the following article
    There are certain fundamentals that if followed will ensure the quality of your stored food. You should first store what you eat, and consume what you stockpile. People in general store quantities of food they hardly eat during normal times. They have usually listened to others instead of themselves when deciding what foods to exactly store. We all know that it isn't easy to change eating habits overnight, even during emergency situations. It is commonplace to assume everyone will consume anything if they are hungry enough. Unfortunately, that is not the case, there have been many confirmed instances where people have resisted eating anything, and have chosen to starve themselves. The infirm, seniors, and the young are also averse to changes in their diets. The obvious answer to this problem is to stockpile foods that are to their liking and acclimate them to tastes of foods that they are particularly not familiar with that you may have decided to store.

continue reading The Basics of Home Food Storage

DuxDawg likes this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Great info on shelf life! An oldie but goodie.

7. johnnybgoode

johnnybgoode Monkey+

Definitely a keeper...Thanks for sharing

8. TeriJ

TeriJ Monkey+

I am doing an inventory of our food storage and will be saving this with the inventory. It will help in deciding about items I haven't had experience with. Thank You.

Teri J

9. swalt

swalt Monkey+

I found a link to a site where they posted some very interesting information. Turns out you can safely store canned goods for a LOT longer than I thought.

http://grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

10. mrmike487

mrmike487 Monkey+

Great Post

For the past 3 years, we`ve been hearing news about
    the upcoming food crisis everywhere in the media: on the TV,
    on the radio, in newspapers and magazines… and all over the Internet.

We`ve been warned that a severe food shortage is heading
    full speed towards the U.S. and that we should start stockpiling
    as soon as possible.

Today, it`s high time you discovered the TRUTH about
    the American food crisis. Exactly as it is and
    not how our cheating leaders force us to see it…

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Great Post

Thanks for posting such an extensive and complete list. Will of course double check for factuallity, but will still book it into the GREAT BOOK OF DOOM. Our little family joke the resource books we build.

Gafarmboy

12. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

I posted (at a much later date) about Calcium Hypochlorite. The information in the list is PRINTED and added to my Prepper Bible. A very belated thank you to RH for finding and posting.

13. mrmike487

mrmike487 Monkey+

Prparedness

There is a great website with free information and they seem to be improving it often. Just sort through and see what is relevant. Also send requests to help them put more relevant content. Good Luck

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

14. northga

northga North ga

Very good and helpful post!!!

QUESTION!!! I've been pricing MRE and other foods that have a very long shelf life(25 yrs for some!) and finding that they are so expensive that a supply for a family of 4 is out of reach for most people without breaking the bank. My question is, is there a way to do it yourself? A way to seal food with some type of sealer where is would increase shelf life to 10, 15 or even 25 years??? Anyone know anything about this??? Please, if you do, help me!!!

15. flyboy207

flyboy207 Monkey+

good info will be handy for my food supply thanks

16. Mjamminn

Mjamminn Monkey+

Sweet post

17. steeled

steeled Monkey

thanks for the good info

18. usmcvet

usmcvet Monkey+

Great info here. I went out and bought Spam, baked beans, sweet corn, chili and meat ravioli. This thread helped massive worrying about experation dates. I will continue adding and diversifying my canned goods.

19. SurvivalTech

SurvivalTech Monkey

Yes good info. But I do know for a fact that most foods will last much longer than the "date on the package/can", and if you keep it in a paper made consumer package it wont last long because they exspect you to use it up fast and keep bringing in the profit on the product as well as the non-paper or canned goods.

I've never took the expiration date seriously on anything except for milk( that is not a lie haha, sucks to drink ). Okay this has no resemblance but when I was a little kid I opened and ate the little packet (oxygen absorber ) inside a jerky bag and I was around 10 or 11 and I went to my dad and told him it was good, then he said your not suppose to eat that and I started crying haha, he just said you will be fine just drink some milk lol. Like milk to this day that's for sure!!.... Okay but to the subject again, the foods will last pretty long past the expiration date. Yeah, the original taste might go tho the "food" is still there and alright for you. Although, of course some foods cant last long like cheese, bread, etc.... ( which arn't sealed or canned ). My point is don't just throw something away because it could be good still and edible. 'we' as human beings want whats fresh-what's new so to say. In the situation as in a survival situation like food storage or bugging out with foods, it could sometimes mean life or death from starvation. Now, of course because we still can; we will get the fresher ones because it's common sense to get them while most of us have the jobs to sustain it. It's really the smell that counts unless you use tofu lmao

20. SurvivalTech

SurvivalTech Monkey

My best suggestion is to either seal seeds from the paper bag sold ones and seal them in plastic bags then put them in an airtight container (mason Jar). If you don't store seeds then maybe store food in mason jars because doing that will keep them fresh for around 10-15 yrs, plus they are as good from the day you put them in.. That's what I would do-I use mason jars but if your plan is to move out( bug-out) then while on the move it would be hard to carry them all around everywhere and could break if you drop them.

If planning to basically bug in then yes I would go for mason jar storage or seal your own airtight plastic baggies you know. That is what I would do!!

But my plan is to hit the road and get outta there if needed.

1. Alanaana
    Thai Chilis
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 4, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    I enjoyed my 1st Thai Chili Pepper harvest.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 4, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. oil pan 4
  5. JC Refuge
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. JC Refuge
  9. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Dunerunner
  11. JC Refuge
  12. jefferson
  13. Dunerunner
  14. jefferson
  15. Motomom34
  16. Dunerunner
  17. Coyote Ridge
  18. stg58
  19. duane
  20. Motomom34
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary