SCOTUS Hears Hobby Lobby Case

Discussion in 'Bill of Rights' started by bfayer, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

You are correct in the capitalist marketplace. But the only group that would be approved by the current administration would have to be a LGBT group. Everyone else is considered unacceptable as they may have Christian or Judeo beliefs.

Minuteman likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I agree that the corp has the ability to set the operational mission. That is done by the board of directors, which it MUST have to incorporate in the first place.

Mike likes this.
  3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yeah but if their " board" is him and his kids its not a conventonal board with outside members. They prpbably all do share the same beliefs.

swampbilly and Mike like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There is no external requirement imposed on corps for outside board members anywhere. Shareholders of publicly owned corps may force the board to bring in outsiders, but not necessary for corporate function or organization.

Mike likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

As Ghrit states, When setting up a Corporation, in ANY State, and it is a State Function, not a Federal Function, one MUST State WHO is on the Board of Directors, and What are the ByLaws, for said Corporation, which MUST conform to the State Statute, under which the Corporation is founded. This is ALL part, and parcel, of the Corporate Public Record, held by the State. The Corp. ByLaws are where the number, organization, and election of Directors are dealt with. As long as the Corp. ByLaws are in conformity with the Appropriate State Statute, they can setup these things, at their pleasure, and if the Stockholders decide to change the Corp. ByLaws, they can, so long as it is done, as stated in the Corp. ByLaws, and does NOT violate the State Statute, the Corp was founded under. ......

kellory, chelloveck and Mike like this.
  6. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

True, BUT, I have been a corporation when I was consulting, anyone can incorporate. All you have to do is have 3 officers and issue 1000 shares of stock. Divided among those 3 officers if you wish. That is what HL is, a private, family owned corporation. They are not publicly traded, meaning they are not on the stock market. You cannot buy stock in their company. They hold all of the stock among themselves and are therefor in complete control as to any business decisions to be made. The board of directors, all of the stock holders, are dad, mom, junior and maybe a sister.

7. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Kudos to SCOTUS for their decision on this case. They are upholding their sworn duty to rule on the laws of this land and not being a puppet and rubber stamp for extremist administrations. [applaud]

Corporations are people? It's a real legal concept

WASHINGTON (AP) — There may be more to that "we the people" notion than you thought.

These are boom times for the concept of "corporate personhood."

Corporations are people?

Mitt Romney got mocked during the 2012 presidential campaign for the very idea.

But it turns out the principle has been lurking in U.S. law for more than a century, and the Supreme Court, in a 5-4 ruling, gave it more oomph this week when it ruled that certain businesses are entitled to exercise religious rights, just as do people.

Justice Samuel Alito, writing for the court's majority, said protecting the religious rights of closely held corporations, which are often small, family-run businesses, "protects the religious liberty of the humans who own and control them."

In its ruling, the court said closely held corporations with religious objections cannot be forced to pay for their employees' insurance coverage for contraception, as required under President Barack Obama's health care law.

Four years earlier, the corporations-as-people idea got another big boost when the court voted 5-4 to expand the free speech rights of businesses and labor unions by striking down limits on their political spending. That unleashed a massive flood of private money into political campaigns.

The rulings have triggered renewed debate over the idea of corporations as people, which surfaces in legal cases stretching back to the 1880s.

Corporations are people? It's a real legal concept - Yahoo News

Mike and BTPost like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

What the Corp. protects is the earnings and private property past, present and future of the owners.

You can sue the Corp, but you cannot normally sue for the private property of the owners as you could in a soley owned operation.

Mike likes this.
  9. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Well aware of that....and your point is?

10. HK_User

So what's wrong with protecting personal property?

Mike likes this.
  11. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Someone said there was something wrong with protecting personal property?

I was speaking of the dichotomy inherent in the use of a corporate identity to avoid potential personal responsibility and then expecting personal privilege for that entity.

I have formed and sold LLCs many times over the years...but I also know that rights and responsibility go hand in hand...

BTPost and chelloveck like this.
  12. HK_User

I believe the subject is freedom of religion. That being the owners do not have to check their religious beliefs at the front door of the business. They have the responsibility to operate the company in a lawful manner that does not concflict with the freedoms they are promised by those same laws.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

The dems are planning to introduce a bill to strip religion in the work place.... to counter the Hobby Lobby SCOTUS ruling.

HK_User likes this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Harry Reid’s Silly Ploy to Fight the Hobby Lobby Ruling - Yahoo News

HK_User likes this.
  15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I can't comment without breaking the COC and getting myself a little vacation.

Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  16. HK_User

Yup, it's all about "them", never mind the standing orders of our most basic "Law of the Land", never mind that some have picked a life style that is against hetrosexual marriage which is an attack on the basic laws of life.

While I'm at it, never mind the commander in chief has broken more laws than Bonnie and Clyde yet he is still free and stirring the bucket.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Yard Dart likes this.
  17. HK_User

Point of law.
    Kelly called Pelosi’s comments a “gross misrepresentation” of the Hobby Lobby ruling.
    “News flash: all birth control was legal before this decision remains legal today,” Kelly said. “The high court simply found that a religious freedom law which was co-sponsored by none other than — wait for it — Nancy Pelosi, sometimes protects corporations from being forced to violate their religious beliefs.”
    Pelosi’s office did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Read more: Megyn Kelly: Nancy Pelosi ‘guilty’ of sexism - Kendall Breitman - POLITICO.com

YMMV but I don't know how!!!

18. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Well, it did but we refuse to print "Nuh-uh. You're just a poopy head! "

19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

20. HK_User

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7