Ruger pistol caliber carbine

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Navyair, May 9, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Bought a Ruger 9mm Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) in March. Local Farm Store had it on sale for ~$600 with a couple of coupons I had. I wanted the collapsable stock model, but they had the regular stocked model. No matter, it breaks down into two pieces about 14" each. Good truck gun. I also have a locking case with a steel cable for a car that it fits in with all the magazines I own. It shoots either Ruger or Glock mags. Note: Glock mags are about 50% of what Ruger mags are.
    I wanted something my wife could shoot, as she's recoil sensitive and only shoots a .380 in a pistol. Even with +P loads she'll be able to shoot this one.

The pluses: Good rail system, good sight, and ability to mount an optic.
    The bad? Ruger makes 'em cheap. Lots of plastics on the internals. I opened it up to change out the magwell to Glock...3 pins just fell out. To be fair, Ruger customer service offered to let me send it in for reassembly, or to talk me though it. They also sent me another trigger control group. (the easiest set of pins to reinstall).

I jumped on line and several companies make replacement pins and things to enhance longevity..a better recoil spring, recoil buffer, stainless steel pins. I went with Tandemkross as they offer a lifetime guarantee and I'd dealt with them before. Plus they had installation videos on virtually everything on Youtube.

Bottom line is I got the gun Ruger should have built about a month late and $179 more. o plastic anywhere things could fail and no plastic pins to fall out.

Now if the campus crazies get too bad, I've got a take down PCC for one vehicle and my collapsible stock AR for the other.

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Rugers..... :rolleyes:
    I ended up doing a trigger job on my 10-22 WallyMart Special (10-22 Rifle, not Carbine, better stock) when I pulled the stock off for deep cleaning and the trigger group pins just fell out! :oops:

3. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

The Ruger PCC or Marlin Camp 9 are good shooters.

I have guests that have come out to play with them on the range.

We never tried disassembly.

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Marlin camp carbine will run at least $900.

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ruger made a stud hoss of a carbine years ago in a 44magnum, Didn't much care for 5 rounds as you'll run out really fast in a herd of hogs

CraftyMofo and Zimmy like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah from back in the day when bill Ruger was like "an honest man doesn't need more than 6 rounds".

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Zimmy like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. hank2222
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. T. Riley
  6. hank2222
  7. AxesAreBetter
  8. Motomom34
  9. Motomom34
  10. AxesAreBetter
  11. survivalmonkey
  12. Homunculi