Retirement Did not work out for me!

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Kamp Krap, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Up until last year my newest piece of equipment was the 2012 Kubota BX25D. LOL I still prefer to run the old implements 1930s and 1940s hay rakes, 1970s balers and until last 1970s bigger tractors and Oliver is still my favorite field tractor. This new hay equipment you can sink A LOT of Money into it FAST and it really does not mow, rake or bale any better than my old junk does.

When I started with cattle I started with mutts and added better quality and breeds as I went. I have always preferred the heritage breeds over the conventional breeds. But the heritage breeds are typically more expensive and harder to find. Mutt Cattle are easy to find and were cheap...... sale barn is full of them every Saturday LOL. Start cheap and small and grow and get better over time.

I admit I am way to proud of the bulls I have been breeding and raising the last few years. Looking at Wully Bully Objectively he is one to be proud of and his Bull Calf off spring are as well. It always annoys me when a New Person in the business tells me that $2500 for a Bull Calf out of Wully like the one in the picture that isn't papered is a over priced rip off........ When it is a top top shelf Bull Calf that at least 50% less than a papered Bull if not 75% less. I put the $2500 price tag on them #1 to give the average small-mid size outfit a top shelf option that won't break the budget. And #2 it is in my best interest to have better small herds all around me that a 3-4 years from now that will have hiefers for sale that are diluted enough from my blood line to bring them into the herd. LOL if you are just making Hamburger, nope it doesn't really matter what kind of bull and cows you run.... the grinder does not care and at the end of the day the customers don't either. If you are shooting for high quality steaks and roast then there is a world of difference between a Wully Steer and a Heinz 57 Steer. Genetics matter in that regard. Anyway it is just in my nature to always try to do better and improve whether be myself or my livestock. Equipment not so much LOL if it gets the job done at a 100 years old and rusty then it is good enough for me. Takes selling a lot of products and livestock to recover the cost of new tractors and implements.

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7