Random Cool Tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Dec 14, 2016.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Random cool workshop tricks.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]
    As a teenager, I answered a small ad in the back of a magazine that for a quarter offered to tell me how to stuff envelopes and get paid 25 cents for each one. I sent them my quarter and got a note back in the self-addressed stamped envelope I had included. It read: PUT YOUR OWN AD IN A MAGAZINE. True story.

3. hot diggity

I wonder if an untrained athlete could use their own goofy looking (but within the rules) technique and throw the hammer farther?

Before I was taught to hold a golf club I had a Happy Gilmore style swing and could drive a golf ball out of sight. I could never clobber a ball like that after I was taught the "correct" way.

Same with batting. I hold the bat with my hands reversed. Never had a problem with my swing until it was "corrected."

I guess I'm fortunate that nobody ever taught me I held a hockey stick "wrong." Like most right handed hockey players I'm "cross-handed."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    GrayGhost, Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  4. chelloveck

Buff / Neck gaiter wearing methods.

I have several of these in different colours and patterns...apart from using the fabric as a neck gaiter they have several other field expedient uses also. Many neck gaiters are made of polyester...which may have health issues...go merino wool or other natural fabrics.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Like Mr Fosbury?

upload_2024-1-24_9-17-6.
    I was able to catch Mr. Fosbury at a track meet at the University of Arizona (Tucson) just as he started breaking records.
    Very innovative for the time.

6. hot diggity

7. hot diggity

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Took me a minute to figure out what we was doing there ,, but I got it ,,:D

9. chelloveck

Adjustable spanner hack.

10. chelloveck

A minute is too long to avoid a trip to oblivion...:eek:

Am reading a book on boobytrapping titled 'Malice Aforethought'

upload_2024-1-25_15-14-56.

It is very interesting reading.

https://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/amd-us-archive/FM5-31(65).pdf
    TC 5-31 - VC Boobytraps : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    https://tgrm.foxed.ca/boobytraps/tbrm 1.pdf
    https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publications/FM 20-32 W CH 1-4.pdf
    https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB410/docs/Tactical Site Exploitation.pdf

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    SB21 likes this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yes sir ,, a minute could be about 55 seconds to long ,,, but I'm not the type of person those deterrents were meant for.

I will look into reading recommendations there ,,I actually have the 1st 2 books in your list ,,thanks for the links to the others.

12. chelloveck

The trap layer is often using fairly predictable human behaviour to sucker their victims into taking the bait.

I was funnin' you at your expense. Mea culpa. ;)

SB21 likes this.
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

1 of my Vietnam Era uncles was in the Marine Corps around 67-69 ,,, in the early 70s ,, 4-5 of us would go squirrel and rabbit hunting in the early mornings or late afternoons. He always stressed to watch where you put your feet while in the woods . He would take some of them old camera flash bulbs and set booby traps on the trails in the woods ,, that's a lesson that stuck with me since then ,, I always try to be aware of everything around me,,

14. chelloveck

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. chelloveck

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. hot diggity

IMG_20240125_105438_01.
    No more claws!

Legs doesn't like to take medication. He will tear you apart if you try to hold him and give him a dose of liquid medication.

The trick is to stuff him down a pant leg. When his head pops out I wrap the cuff around and he can't get a claw into me. This makes the process so easy that he relaxes and will let me cuddle him after he gets his dose.

17. hot diggity

To maintain a pantry like this you must stock it with stuff you eat. If you lose your taste for a vegetable or something it has to be taken out of rotation before the expiration date has passed by too much.

tumblr_f39041139b73c4c437b37fa47bd38725_ad6cd694_1280.

18. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Food burn out is real. People have opted to starve to death rather than eat things they don't want.

I have spent lots of money on powdered peanut butter and lots of freeze dried fruits to help transition picky children and adults in fear of this problem.

GrayGhost, Gator 45/70, DKR and 5 others like this.
  19. hot diggity

I seem to remember construction like that aboard Camp Geiger. Twice I had a headquarters building at the end of the company area that looked like that. It had a double set of stairs that came down to the parade deck. There was no screwing around within sight of "The Muffin" or you'd get a call to report to the First Sergeant. I always suspected they used binoculars often.

Looks precarious, but it's probably under far less strain than the water tower it resembles.

l82nhlajcs3243x8.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
    GrayGhost, Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

LOL

No shit. Aak anyone staring at a Tuna a la cat puke as breakfast for the zillionth time....I started packing oatmeal and dried fruit for field rations when out playing with the Big Army. Something about Zoomies and Army Chow that don't mix well....

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Gator 45/70, SB21 and Zimmy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7