Random Cool Tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

My professional bass fisherman brother says there are two rules to fishing:

1. Never tell anyone where you caught your fish.

2. Never tell anyone what you used as bait.

When asked where he caught his fish my brother would loop a finger in his mouth and pull back and say, "Right there".

---

Once there was a line of boats waiting at weight-in so he reconfigured all his rods. When he finally offloaded his fish people asked what he used for bait and he held up his rods to show them. Each one had a pull tab secured to the end of the line.

[​IMG]

2. hot diggity

[​IMG]Drilling predators such as snails, slugs, octopuses and beetles penetrate their prey's protective skeleton and eat the soft flesh inside, leaving behind a telltale hole in the shell.

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Wife and I had that a coup[le of times down on Lake Dularge, Looked up and we were surrounded by boats.
    Dudes were like He's spraying his bait.
    Look he missed another one.
    We cranked up and left never saying a word, Fin

GrayGhost likes this.
  4. hot diggity

5. hot diggity

6. hot diggity

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Here's my little contribution.
    When backing up to our RV, many times the front of the trail is in the shadows and it makes it hard to see the hitch. Can get close, but usually I don't get a good visual until it's too late and I have to pull forward then back up again.
    Used a bit of silver metallic paint and painted a line on the hitch, now there is a bit of contrast to help line things up.
    Additionally a cheap way to protect the trailer jack is to put a 5 gallon bucket over it. This allows me to hook the safety chains and break away cable to keep them off the ground. The chains make it so the bucket can't fly away as well. I also loop the 7-pin wiring harness over the top of the jack, keeps it out of the weather as well. HitchPaint. HitchPaintBucket.

8. hot diggity

[​IMG]
    How to measure the correct amount of water for cooking rice.

GrayGhost, Zimmy, Seawolf1090 and 2 others like this.
  9. My brother did something similar when checking the temp of the oil when we were deep frying a turkey.

10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Wow, nothing like how I do it. 2 part water/1 part rice, cold water, covered, and heat off once boiling. It works well so far.

Your method is something I need to try.

GrayGhost and DKR like this.
  11. hot diggity

I'll be interested to see what you find. I'm betting it'll be pretty close. What caught my eye about this method is that when I only have one pot that I haven't previously put strategic measuring dents in, this would give me a consistent volume measurement.

I used to cook lots of rice, but I'm trying to get back into my skinny clothes again.

GrayGhost and Zimmy like this.
  12. hot diggity

13. hot diggity

14. hot diggity

15. hot diggity

16. hot diggity

17. hot diggity

An update on an old post.

I had a piece of rubber string on the end of this rail for several years. Today I upgraded it to this broken elastic ball tie from a tent. Since one of my greatest fears is losing this rail, I can now stick the end in a pocket or button the loop in my shirt. I've found that this keeps them from sliding off my leg too.:)

IMG_20230724_141749.

18. hot diggity

[​IMG]
    All natural confetti

GrayGhost, Zimmy, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  19. hot diggity

[​IMG]
    McDonald's in France is removing single use packaging. Switching to washable ones.

20. hot diggity

This is a trick I learned a long time ago and almost forgot. There are two little round reference points on most new cars windshields.
    They indicate the correct position of the wipers when they're parked.

On older cars you just line the wiper up with the dirt or the end of the scratches. ;)

IMG_20230726_163130.

GrayGhost, Seawolf1090 and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7