Random Cool Tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Worked for me. It's creepy AF watching the illusion of your hand changing!

Dunerunner likes this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

m510-red.
    Mouse tricks.

Maybe I'm the last one to figure this out, but my everyday indestructable battle mouse has a feature that I never knew about.

If I press the wheel down it clicks, and the wheel up/down scroll function is disabled. It also changes the cursor to an up/down arrow, and moving the mouse up or down becomes an express up/down feature with smooth variable speed. This is incredibly handy when trying to scroll through hundreds of ebay listings, or collections of memes. When I see something I like I just click the roller wheel to stop the scroll.

All the other buttons on the mouse I use regularly at work, so I think I know all tricks this mouse will do now. My favorite at work is using the mouse with the on screen keyboard, so I can sit in a vehicle and do all the programming and control functions from inside the car with the mouse while the laptop is fifteen feet away. The only trouble there seems to be seeing small print on some screens.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    SB21, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  3. hot diggity

4. hot diggity

That's got to burn! I asked a guy on a Hayabusa at Maxton why he looked like a turtle under his leathers. He explained that he had a special skeleton frame under it, so if he "fell off" at 200+ MPH he could roll onto his back and not get burned by the friction. That sounded like it would work great on the salt at Bonneville, but at Maxton the chances of hitting a trackside landing light (that Bob Gribble hadn't already hit) or a tree just off the concrete before you stopped made me happy that I was at least on four wheels.

I might roll it into a tin ball, but at least I couldn't "fall off."![LMAO]
    1673531638_16.

GrayGhost, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

When I rode my KLR650 Dual Sport for several years ( my only transport for more than two years) I always rode geared-up. "ATGATT", or All The Gear All The Time, as we called it. Mighty glad I did, when a stupid woman stopped for no reason just after an intersection, and I had to lay it down or hit her stupid ass! I ate asphalt, yum. She rabbited, I picked my bike up, and rolled it off the street. The bike was more banged up than I was. But without my helmet, armor jacket&gloves, and boots, I would have had at the least a broken arm, broken foot and broken hand. Got away with bruises. I straightened the bent bike, rode on home for lunch and called work to say I'd be taking off a couple days. I knew the pain would kick in next day and it did! Ten years later I still have an odd "notch" in my right arm bone, where it almost broke.
    Once when on the elevator at work, a lady looks at me and asked why I'm wearing all the stuff? I looked at her and growled, "I'm the fifth Ninja Turtle!"

6. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

img-511abcbb.

7. hot diggity

8. hot diggity

Big hog farms don't mess around with chipped or cracked hog slats but they still make great decking for muddy walkways or docks. The only hard part is moving a 4x10 foot piece of reinforced concrete. ;) IMG_20230126_110707.

9. hot diggity

OIP (26).
    This trick won't be random for me now. First time inside a McDonald's in probably five years. I just refuse to order from a push button machine or an App.

I was on the road in Smithfield, North Carolina and needed to make a rest stop. I was impressed with the immaculate facilities, so i wandered into the dining area. I hadn't noticed the two large order taking kiosks behind me as I got an employee's attention and told her what I wanted.
    They still have one register at a short counter up front, and she was very nice.

When my food came I thanked her and her crew for still taking orders at the counter from old men that don't do Apps and kiosks.

There was a much younger guy who I'd seen punching buttons on one of the kiosks while waiting for my food. As I was walking out I heard him say "I might have to have you take my order, I can't figure this thing out."

I may be old fashioned, but i still prefer human interaction.

Dont, mechstdr, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Smithfield is a nice little town ,, on the outskirts at least . Last time I was there was for a funeral.
    When I go to them fast food crap joints ,, I mostly do the drive up window , and eat in the truck ,, it's not worth the time to have to possibly deal with the riff raff them joints can attract .

11. Seawolf1090

Wonder if the kiosk gets that $15 minimum wage?

Gator 45/70, hot diggity and SB21 like this.
  12. hot diggity

Walmart apparently doesn't think Smithfield, NC is such a nice town. They had an employee checking 100% of everyone's purchases against their receipt at the exit.
    I pulled my cart to the side and waved people past to see if she was giving anyone a pass. Not even old bearded guys. She looked like she could handle tackling a shoplifter if necessary too.;)

mechstdr, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Our local Wally world only does that randomly. I refuse to allow them to. It is actually in thier store policy that they cannot search a bag if the customer refuses. Unless they set off the security alarm. When they ask me if I have my receipt I say "Sure do" and keep on walking. That's usually the end of it but once in a while you get one more aggressive. They'll say "I need to look in your bags". I tell them that I bought and paid for these items and they are now my personal property and they have no right or authority to rifle through my property. That's always the end of it. I walk away leaving them with a stunned look on thier face.
    I did take the time once to explain to a woman that it was the principle of it. I said that's what's wrong with this country today is too many people are willing to give up a right just because someone with the slightest bit of authority asks them to. I said that I refuse to give up a single one of my rights for any reason. It's called freedom. This older man had stopped and was listening. When I finished he clapped.

mechstdr, hot diggity, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I generally ask the wally world door checkers if they stop me something along these lines.
    Why? I'm faster and can out run you, now what?

15. Seawolf1090

Once at Wally's I bought a brand new EMPTY 20lb. propane tank back in the camping section. Paid for it and other purchases, went to leave, with receipt in hand The blue-haired old crone acting as "greeter" (I took to calling her Cerberus) immediately pounced on me, screeching that I "can't bring a propane tank in the store! Safety violation! Illegal! Bow-wow-wow!!" Dang, she'd make the real Cerberus cower in fear. I tried to explain I bought it new and empty, but the cackling biddy kept saying I brought it in from the exchange outside! I finally got the attention of the manager, who at last got her to back down, but her hackles were still up. I explained to the manager and finally left. Never went back to that Wally's. I expect she's down in Hell now, spelling the real Cerberus at the Gates.

16. hot diggity

Dad never said much. He let actions speak for him. Like if Mom couldn't open a jar and asked him to do it. He'd put the jar on the counter, lay his hand on top of it and look out the kitchen window.

IMG_20230131_224649.

After thirty seconds of this she would be fuming and start demanding he try to twist the cap off.
    He wouldn't say a word. He'd endure her glare and muffled curses until sixty seconds had passed.

IMG_20230131_224707.

At sixty seconds he'd remove the lid...

IMG_20230131_224717.

...set it on the counter and silently walk away.

I don't know what annoyed Mom more, the fact that she couldn't rattle him, or that he never even strained to open a lid.

The trick is that he allowed his hand to warm the cap. This caused it to expand, and any congealed jelly or other sticky stuff to soften. Works every time. I get exactly the same reaction when I use his technique. ;)

Thanks Dad.

17. hot diggity

[​IMG]
    That's a handy guide to have in the tool box.

18. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

cool guide, i will have to look in my files i know i have guide like that it was a pullout from an 80's magazine (4X4/4wd) it listed all the differential covers as above but also all the transmission bell housing patterns and what they fit, engines sizes for swapping in different vehicles and transfer cases their manufacturers/models etc. all for rear wheel/4 wheel drive vehicles only. haven't looked at sight posted above yet but i figure they'll have other guides like i mentioned as well, if not i'll find mine & post it here.

19. hot diggity

smarter not harder.
    Kid might be named Swiffer.

20. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

here are those guides i saved, hope someone can use the info. tried uploading the files, told file sizes to large only one did ok. will try to reduce the other file sizes.

trans swap info 1.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7