Random Cool Tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Dec 14, 2016.

1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

I'm definitely stealing this one, thanks!

Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

IMG_20220722_111127.
    These disposable shop rags are expensive. If I only use it to wipe off smudges it can last a long time if it's kept clean and handy.

This one is always right where I need it.

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The 'bomb' the woman pulls out is an BLU-33 practice bomb
    [​IMG]
    The military standard 25 lb. practice bomb is used as a training aid for all Air Force and Navy pilots. With various bomb rack configurations, they are used on almost every fixed-wing fighter/bomber aircraft in the U.S. inventory. Commonly referred to as the MK-76 or BDU-33, practice bombs have a spotting charge that releases a cloud of smoke on impact. Practice bombs are used to simulate the MK-82 in low drag configuration. They are made from a small cast-iron and steel non-explosive ordnance that is used in training to simulate actual bombs. Practice bombs are also used to qualify systems and personnel.

Once the willie peter smoke charge is shot, it is 25 ponds of useless iron.
    Having worked on Range 63, Nellis AFB for yours, I have no idea of how many of these I policed on on range cleaning duty.

GrayGhost and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. hot diggity

And that's why we call the experts like you when we find stuff like that. For the rest of us that can't identify scrap metal from live ordnance, it's best to just leave that stuff alone. Base order says don't even take pictures of it. Just get away and call EOD.

I do remember an EOD tech that had to spend a long morning on the grenade range with us. We had a case of defective M67 grenades and had to sit around and wait several times while he wandered out there to pick up the dud grenades. I noticed he just walked right up to them, picked them up and dropped them in his cargo pocket. I asked him if he wasn't worried that they'd go off.
    He showed me how they'd failed with the striker having broken off without ever striking the primer. After a couple more long waits and more trips down range he told me to just have the Marines throw the grenades away from the puddles and he'd get them all after we were done for the day. Worked for me. The grenade I had dropped in the pit by a WM that day wasn't a dud. I'd thrown her out of my way and had the grenade over the wall with what seemed like so much time left that I though it was one of the duds.

I'll leave the handling of found scrap metal around here to the experts. There's plenty of junk in the woods that has fallen off aircraft.
    I used to enjoy reading the TFOA (Things Falling Off Aircraft) report on the message board. Hatches, seats, great big concrete blocks. Geeze. Now they fly over the house on the way home every night. :unsure:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. hot diggity

6. hot diggity

7. hot diggity

8. hot diggity

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Reminds me of a house I once rented. Bathroom so small I actually had to step over the toilet to get into the shower!

Gator 45/70, SB21 and hot diggity like this.
  10. hot diggity

11. hot diggity

12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hot diggity

I like the sink draining into the urinal. No sense wasting water, and it ensures a "flush."

I have a guy at work that's obsessed with how hydrated everyone else is, and he's always
    looking in the urinal and fussing about how we need more water. I've decided to keep a
    bottle of red Gatorade in my locker and add a shot to the urinal every time I wash my hands.
    If red doesn't set him off I'll switch to green or blue. ;)

14. hot diggity

15. hot diggity

R (14). Some folks call it a "suicide safety" but I'm a fan of the old Remington Model 11, so I enjoy the simplicity and ergonomics.

16. hot diggity

17. hot diggity

[​IMG]
    This is a subway entrance at the Bockenheimer Warte U-Bahn Station in Frankfurt, Germany.

18. hot diggity

Took me a second. Had to make it bigger.

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70, Seawolf1090 and SB21 like this.
  19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Now THAT is some cool architecture!

Gator 45/70, CraftyMofo and SB21 like this.
  20. hot diggity

r9t2qo6e7qd91.
    Wooden water pipeline being constructed East of Lewiston, Idaho in 1891.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7